Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sig P320 issue (bent ejector)

Sig P320 issue (bent ejector)

So, on a p320 compact (15 round mid size), if you jam in a 21 round full size mag hard enough, you can bend the ejector up enough to drag on the slide and lock up the gun. Ask me how I know.... (that has been bent back down some. It was up at a steeper angle).

I have no ideal how I managed to do that. I am not beating the mag into the gun.

I did a tap rack, and the slide would close about 3/4 of the way. I smack the back of the slide into battery, fire, and it repeats. Smack the back of the slide, fire, and it repeats. I lock the slide back, change mags and try to remedy. But it keeps going.

I step of the line, strip the gun and notice the bent ejector.

Strangely, I don’t see any dent on the mag, which is thinner metal. So how did I manage this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

This is a well known vulnerability of the P320 FCU, and is perhaps a reason SIG should have engineered the system with a replaceable ejector. If it fails, you’re kind of screwed.

If you aggressively load a too-long mag into the pistol that doesn’t hard-stop on the grip frame, this WILL happen. You don’t have to “beat it in”, all that’s needed is a properly brisk mag load.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    So, on a p320 compact (15 round mid size), if you jam in a 21 round full size mag hard enough, you can bend the ejector up enough to drag on the slide and lock up the gun. Ask me how I know.... (that has been bent back down some. It was up at a steeper angle).

I have no ideal how I managed to do that. I am not beating the mag into the gun.

I did a tap rack, and the slide would close about 3/4 of the way. I smack the back of the slide into battery, fire, and it repeats. Smack the back of the slide, fire, and it repeats. I lock the slide back, change mags and try to remedy. But it keeps going.

I step of the line, strip the gun and notice the bent ejector.

Strangely, I don’t see any dent on the mag, which is thinner metal. So how did I manage this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's a disposable pistol.

This can happen with any mag that doesn't have a hard stop base plate. Several IDPA shooters in my area have had the same issue.

Sig P320 issue (bent ejector)

I am pretty damn disappointed in this.

I have carried a g26 for years with 17rnd reloads, never an issue. I know the Glock has a notch built in to the mag to prevent this. I assumed the Sig had some way to prevent it.

It’s a shame, as I like the Sig trigger better, and I shoot tighter groups. But I TRUST the Glock more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post

It’s a shame, as I like the Sig trigger better, and I shoot tighter groups. But I TRUST the Glock more.

This is exactly where I'm at on the 320. In my case I also have issues with my grip unintentionally activating the slide stop, locking it back with rounds on the mag. I've had this occur with both the med and large X grip. The only time I've ever had that occur with a Glock is with the factory extended slide stop.

The 21 round mag has a base pad which extends upwards and acts as a stop in a 17 round length grip. You need to use mags with a base pad that acts as a stop.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    You need to use mags with a base pad that acts as a stop.
    Which defeats the whole modularity thing I wanted it for to begin with.

If we approve the gen 5, I will probably jump back to the Glock. Maybe a 19FS MOS, and call it a day. I will keep the 365 as my back up. It’s just too neat and disappears in my waistband.

@Gadfly, I am not trying to downplay your experience and by no means trying to defend Sig but I have seen this even with the venerable HK and their ejectors are not crap. I have both personally experienced this and seen this first hand probably 8-9 years ago and I believe this can happen with just about any gun when stuffing a longer mag into the gun without a, "spacer" or "mag body sleeve" to prevent the magazines from being over inserted. I would just suggest ensuring that if you are going to carry a longer mag than the gun is designed for as a reload ensure it has the proper, "sleeve" to help prevent this issue. Since tone is difficult to derive I just want to say that I respect you and the knowledge you bring to this forum and in no way do I mean this condescendingly.

ETA: even though I am digging the P365 series right now. Glock, especially a Gen5 model is really freaking hard to beat. I wish all agencies allowed for officers/agents to carry what they want but with lowest common denominator and all I feel for you.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    @Gadfly, I am not trying to downplay your experience and by no means trying to defend Sig but I have seen this even with the venerable HK and their ejectors are not crap. I have both personally experienced this and seen this first hand probably 8-9 years ago and I believe this can happen with just about any gun when stuffing a longer mag into the gun without a, "spacer" or "mag body sleeve" to prevent the magazines from being over inserted. I would just suggest ensuring that if you are going to carry a longer mag than the gun is designed for as a reload ensure it has the proper, "sleeve" to help prevent this issue. Since tone is difficult to derive I just want to say that I respect you and the knowledge you bring to this forum and in no way do I mean this condescendingly.

ETA: even though I am digging the P365 series right now. Glock, especially a Gen5 model is really freaking hard to beat. I wish all agencies allowed for officers/agents to carry what they want but with lowest common denominator and all I feel for you.
    The issue is that with other guns if this happens you can replace the ejector and drive on.

You can bend the ejecfor back but it will never be quite the same unless you replace the FCU.

One of our local IDPA shooters has had this occur several times and SIG refused to replace the FCU.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The issue is that with other guns if this happens you can replace the ejector and drive on.

You can bend the ejecfor back but it will never be quite the same unless you replace the FCU.

One of our local IDPA shooters has had this occur several times and SIG refused to replace the FCU.
    I absolutely was not trying to downplay Gadfly's issue, I was just offering the best advice I could to avoid issues in the future. Having been in his shoes there is no argument, and that is some seriously shitty CS. Sounds like Sig is winning hearts and minds all over again.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    Sounds like Sig is winning hearts and minds all over again.
    I don't comment much on SIGs, having given up on them being able to make a pistol that plays well with the grabbers I was issued... but that is spot on.

As for an ejector being integral with the serialized chassis, I just shake my damn head.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

User Tag List