Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sako S20 Precision?

I'm going to to be evaluating the S20 against a couple other options here in a bit. I've narrowed down the scope of this rifle as mainly plinking up to 1000 yards and taking on a couple of mountain hunts I have tentatively planned. I think at the end of the day it's going to be 10.5lbs scoped and loaded. Does that seem too heavy for a mountain rifle or within the acceptable range?

Site Supporter
    I think it's heavy for a mountain hunt, definitely under 10lbs would be good.

BUT your goals are a bit contradictory. Heavier guns are easier/more fun to shoot at distance and suck to hike up mountains with.

If you have to have one rifle, and you're good with it, then the extra weight is fine. Only punishing yourself after all

I just looked at S20, and a 6.5 PRC with 24" barrel was 8.7 lbs. Not bad at all. And they actually have a stock that seems good. $2k is a good deal.

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by jc000 View Post
    I'm going to to be evaluating the S20 against a couple other options here in a bit. I've narrowed down the scope of this rifle as mainly plinking up to 1000 yards and taking on a couple of mountain hunts I have tentatively planned. I think at the end of the day it's going to be 10.5lbs scoped and loaded. Does that seem too heavy for a mountain rifle or within the acceptable range?
    Well, it’s too heavy for me; doesn’t mean it’s too heavy for you. I’d rather not carry any more than I have to. My favorite hunting rifle is a Brockman custom 300WM and weighs 8.3 lbs all in.

Name:  B7C41620-0782-4F93-AAB9-AB75CA4DA5D8.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  98.6 KB

Name:  C0F68ED8-9746-4BD6-8E92-2BA3F9D5B13A.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  31.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I just looked at S20, and a 6.5 PRC with 24" barrel was 8.7 lbs. Not bad at all. And they actually have a stock that seems good. $2k is a good deal.

$1598 is a great deal. And the Hunter configuration is listed at 7.4 lbs. Not sure I can pass this up.

Site Supporter
    Name:  sako-85-carbon-wolf-rifle.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  11.8 KB

Sako is putting out some super interesting rifles, double the price and you could lose a lb for the carbon wolf

Quote Originally Posted by jc000 View Post
    Did you end up going with the S20?
    I finally handled one today in 6.5 PRC with the hunter stock, and I really liked it.
    I bought a Mauser M18 in 6.5 PRC last year just to get a chance to play with the caliber and I really like it as far as performance and lack of recoil.
    The M18 on the other hand, while easily meeting the accuracy standards promised by Mauser, needs quite a bit of improvement in the ergo's at least for me.
    I guess I could just load the stock with a bit of weight to shift the balance, but the S20 felt great from the get go.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    Did you end up going with the S20?
    I finally handled one today in 6.5 PRC with the hunter stock, and I really liked it.
    I bought a Mauser M18 in 6.5 PRC last year just to get a chance to play with the caliber and I really like it as far as performance and lack of recoil.
    The M18 on the other hand, while easily meeting the accuracy standards promised by Mauser, needs quite a bit of improvement in the ergo's at least for me.
    I guess I could just load the stock with a bit of weight to shift the balance, but the S20 felt great from the get go.
    A buddy got a Mauser M18 in 6.5 PRC just in time for ammo crisis. I was able to get some brass and load some 6.5 PRC for the new M18. It shoots well but is a little "crude" (not finished super well) but for the price it is a bargain. 6.5 PRC is interesting too - I like 6.5 bore but for hunting there are a lot of choices and not sure advantage over 270 other than 6.5 PRC is "new". Not sure how many hunters can use the long range potential of the 6.5 PRC.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    A buddy got a Mauser M18 in 6.5 PRC just in time for ammo crisis. I was able to get some brass and load some 6.5 PRC for the new M18. It shoots well but is a little "crude" (not finished super well) but for the price it is a bargain. 6.5 PRC is interesting too - I like 6.5 bore but for hunting there are a lot of choices and not sure advantage over 270 other than 6.5 PRC is "new". Not sure how many hunters can use the long range potential of the 6.5 PRC.
    Judging from what I see at the range right before hunting season, not very many. It's sexy though.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Thing with the M18, it's a great value for the price, it does shoot really well from the bench. But that foam filled stock just makes it kind of wonky from offhand or a tripod. It's not "flexy", just too light for me. And the adjustable trigger is pretty darn good too.

I actually did the .270 vs 6.5 PRC debate in my head for a bit, and it came down to me not really wanting another .270, and the fact that I think the developers are putting a lot more resources into the new calibers.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

User Tag List