Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sako S20 Precision?

Sako S20 Precision?

I know this seems to be a Tikka forum but has anyone been hands on with one the “new” Sako S20s? The Carbon Wolf is a little too pricey for me!

I’m curious if this offers any significant durability advantages off of something like a Tikka UPR.

Sako is just the Tikka big brother, I would totally be buying a Sako S20 over a Tikka for the price difference.

Site Supporter
    What do you want to do with it?

That's starting to get into the price range of a Big Horn Origin barreled action from PVA (https://patriotvalleyarms.com/bighor...rreled-action/) with a KRG Bravo/XRay or MDT Oryx chassis.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    What do you want to do with it?

That's starting to get into the price range of a Big Horn Origin barreled action from PVA (https://patriotvalleyarms.com/bighor...rreled-action/) with a KRG Bravo/XRay or MDT Oryx chassis.
    This would simply be my one size fits all bolt action rifle. I’d primarily punch paper with it (well under 1000M) and would like to use it for shooting deer, too. Would stick with .308, probably do a 1-8x scope and a can.

I don’t know jack shit about building something, other than it seems that if you know what you’re doing you can get something very nice for a lot less than you’d spend on a factory rifle.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jc000 View Post
    I don’t know jack shit about building something, other than it seems that if you know what you’re doing you can get something very nice for a lot less than you’d spend on a factory rifle.
    With a barreled action and a chassis, there's no "building" really. Just bolt them together. It's the same as normal reassembly after removing the stock. Installing most aftermarket 700 triggers is also as simple as tightening a bolt or two. You'll want an inch pound torque driver, but that's pretty much a requirement for setting up a rifle and optic anyways. Like bolting an AR upper and lower together, you also get the added benefit of not paying as much in Firearms and Ammunition Excise Tax. (That's why you can often get more gun by "building") .

I haven't played with an S20 yet, but Sako definitely knows how to build a rifle. I'm pretty picky about rifle feel, so I'd want to have hands on with that stock before I'd commit to a $1,700 rifle.

I'd also advise against a 1-8 as an optic for your intended purposes. First, you're going to want a repeatable turret that you can dial, and very few LPVOs have that. Second, you'll be limiting the rifle by not having adjustable parallax. Third, for hunting, the lowlight performance of most 1x scopes isn't optimal.

I'd also advise against a 1-8 as an optic for your intended purposes. First, you're going to want a repeatable turret that you can dial, and very few LPVOs have that. Second, you'll be limiting the rifle by not having adjustable parallax. Third, for hunting, the lowlight performance of most 1x scopes isn't optimal.
    What would you suggest? Greater than 8x seems like overkill for the ranges I’d shoot but I really have no idea.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jc000 View Post
    What would you suggest? Greater than 8x seems like overkill for the ranges I’d shoot but I really have no idea.
    That really depends on what you want to spend, but the Nightforce SHV 4-14, Vortex PST Gen 2, and Bushnell LRHS have good track records. I'm not a huge fan of having an exposed non-locking windage turret for hunting, so that's a downside for the PST 2. Bushnell just revamped their scope line, and I think the LRHS is potentially no longer made. Vortex, Bushnell, an Athlon make more affordable options, but they will be somewhat more of a gamble on reliability and tracking. I really like the new Vortex Razor LHT (and I'll likely put one on my next hunting rifle), but they don't have any track record yet.

A little late to the thread but...

I think I'll be getting a couple of S20 rifles (243 and 30-06). They answer my issues with the Blaser straight pull with the same stock. (Not identical stock, but same style and ergonomics.) Those issues basically being an inability to handle one before purchase and the limited support in the US. I handled n S20 at Collector's in Houston and it felt wonderful.

On the scope issue, don't worry about what other people use or do -- look at how you use them. A 1-4x or 1-5x with low profile turrets is perfect for what I do -- I don't mess with adjusting the turrets once they are set, since I'm using them for hunting and the wind drift and range aren't going to be the same long enough for that to be worth it. YMMV -- and probably will.

Don't forget the Go/No-go gauges, and tools to tighten the barrel nut. As well, there can be magazine feed issues, depending on the caliber, stock, chassis, and mags.

A Sako or Tikka is the easy button--assuming they have what you're looking for. In the case of my last rifle, they didn't so I built it from an ARC action.

With a barreled action and a chassis, there's no "building" really. Just bolt them together. It's the same as normal reassembly after removing the stock. Installing most aftermarket 700 triggers is also as simple as tightening a bolt or two. You'll want an inch pound torque driver, but that's pretty much a requirement for setting up a rifle and optic anyways. Like bolting an AR upper and lower together, you also get the added benefit of not paying as much in Firearms and Ammunition Excise Tax. (That's why you can often get more gun by "building") .

I haven't played with an S20 yet, but Sako definitely knows how to build a rifle. I'm pretty picky about rifle feel, so I'd want to have hands on with that stock before I'd commit to a $1,700 rifle.

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List