Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Getting Critical about Critical Theory/White Fragility/BLM/etc.

Site Supporter
    Present company excepted for purposes of this discussion

IMHO and experience, the vast majority of people who use the word "niggardly" in the context of stingy or miserly, know exactly what they are doing. It is the second cousin of somebody saying well if "they" use the N-word, and not mean it badly, then why can't I?

I would note that those who have used that word, even presuming no ill intent or controversy, have not done so in a majority black setting i.e. church, school board meeting etc. If they say they do, let's see the video or it did not happen.

FWIW/YMMV Greatly.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post

IMHO and experience, the vast majority of people who use the word "niggardly" in the context of stingy or miserly, know exactly what they are doing. It is the second cousin of somebody saying well if "they" use the N-word, and not mean it badly, then why can't I?

I would note that those who have used that word, even presuming no ill intent or controversy, have not done so in a majority black setting i.e. church, school board meeting etc. If they say they do, let's see the video or it did not happen.

FWIW/YMMV Greatly.
    Well, I know you excused present company, but I can assure you that my usage at the time was not meant for the purposes of getting a rise out of people. (Though I am not above doing so, depending on context. I know who I am.) And I don't remember the racial composition of the folks I was addressing. Though I believe there may have been one or two blacks present.

That said, I'd like to think that I've had a pretty strong relationship with the black folks that have been part of my life in growing up as a kid, through school, work and personal life after retiring. I can only think of one instance in the last several years where a black person who I knew and was friendly with in a pub setting, got in my face in another location, (a restaurant), to make points with others he was with as if to say he didn't know who this white dude was or why he came over to the table to greet him. I walked away for him to save face. Last I heard he was locked up for something or other drug related.

As I once mentioned in another thread, I was sought out by several black agents to mentor them on the job as well as with their finances and other personal life matters. It was a matter of personal pride for me, as I in no way hung out a shingle. That said, in the wake of the OJ and Rodney King debacles I had some very acrimonious and public arguments with some in regard to what I viewed as a certain myopia on their part regarding what was right, and what it meant to carry a badge to defend others regardless of their race.

One went so far as to tell me that OJ didn't do it because that's not the way a black man uses a knife. For real. I told him that he was out of his depth and was making a ridiculous statement. He challenged me by saying "don't you think I know my people?" to which I replied, clearly, in this instant he did not. (I had a personal discussion with Judge Ito on this case, but that's another story altogether and not relevant here.)

All this to say that I've had some difficult and confrontational conversations with black people in my life. When I was a youth, some ended in fights, most were settled with words and understanding. I think my black partners would have told you that race was never an issue with our partnership nor our friendship, and that they knew I'd have given my life for them if called upon to do so. I'd risked it before for a black youth I didn't know when I was a teen.

So, while there are certainly times when prudence should carry the day, making allowances to avoid ignorance inflaming a situation unnecessarily...not everyone avoids a confrontation when the numbers are against them...and I think that's what earns respect in the end. (Or, an educational beat down.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Yeah, that's interesting. "Niggardly" predates the n-word by quite a bit. But it's probably a no-go for common usage right now.

A very woke friend of Mrs. CF recently mentioned how much she likes Kaffir Limes. Of course, Kaffir is the n-word in South Africa, and and she was horrified to have said it.

Another friend commented that a vendor was "being such a Jew" when negotiating a contract. I responded with "What the fuck dude?", and had to explain why that pissed me off. That's how I would prefer to deal with all this. Case by case. Without all the outrage and triggering.

FWIW/YMMV Greatly.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Yeah, that's interesting. "Niggardly" predates the n-word by quite a bit. But it's probably a no-go for common usage right now.

A very woke friend of Mrs. CF recently mentioned how much she likes Kaffir Limes. Of course, Kaffir is the n-word in South Africa, and and she was horrified to have said it.

Another friend commented that a vendor was "being such a Jew" when negotiating a contract. I responded with "What the fuck dude?", and had to explain why that pissed me off. That's how I would prefer to deal with all this. Case by case. Without all the outrage and triggering.
    Funny you mentioned these, CF. I was thinking of Kaffir earlier, when I saw it mentioned elsewhere...and in the current discussion I was thinking that some of the people that would take offense at "niggardly" or the Chinese term for "um", would think nothing of saying that someone tried to "Jew them down".

And so it goes.

Or, alternatively, you can avoid walking on eggshells to hide your racism and just put it out there:

https://thepostmillennial.com/biden-...-blakes-father

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Or, alternatively, you can avoid walking on eggshells to hide your racism and just put it out there:

https://thepostmillennial.com/biden-...-blakes-father
    Racist complaining about racism, pot calling a kettle black.....

Probably not allowed to say that

It is the second cousin of somebody saying well if "they" use the N-word, and not mean it badly, then why can't I?
    As long as you're bringing that particular point up, it has long been my opinion that while I have no desire to use the N-word, it is hypocritical of black people to use it while trying to outlaw its use by others. If you (hypothetical you, not you personally) want to be taken seriously regarding your assertion that something is offensive, engaging in that something yourself seriously undermines your position.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    As long as you're bringing that particular point up, it has long been my opinion that while I have no desire to use the N-word, it is hypocritical of black people to use it while trying to outlaw its use by others. If you (hypothetical you, not you personally) want to be taken seriously regarding your assertion that something is offensive, engaging in that something yourself seriously undermines your position.
    The behavior you are describing is called hypocrisy. It's been around a long time and won't be going anywhere soon, especially with the "victim mentality" that seems to be so in vogue currently with certain groups.
    Last edited by the Schwartz; 09-06-2020 at 06:26 PM.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    The behavior you are describing is called hypocrisy.
    It's almost like that's exactly what I said...

Site Supporter
    Yes, it could happen in the USA. We must learn from people like this woman, who knows, first hand, what tyranny looks like and how it begins.

I feel America is teetering on the top of a very slippery slope - this is just one of the dangers of going down that slope.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/virginia-...lution-loudoun
    "We are the domestic pets of a human zoo we call civilization."

Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival."

User Tag List