Page 13 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 43X/48 Optic Ready Slimline models with rail

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Compared to approximately $200 for a mill job including refinishing. You’re money ahead with the MOS if you are ever going to do a dot.
    I think this will depend on just how versatile the slimline MOS system is. If plates can adapt it to the optic of your choice then it will be OK, so long as you like plates. If plates cant adapt it to the optic of your desires you'll be back to square 1 of milling a regular jobber.

Site Supporter

Question

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Ok, thanks a bunch. I typed out a rather pithy comment to this approach, but I deleted it as not helpful. I'll continue to read more and post less, and see how the G43X/G48 shakes out. I'm still on a path to get a G48 when my GSSF coupon arrives in a few weeks and my LGS gets some options back in stock.

Are you planning to put an optic on the 43X you bought? If so, which one?
    I met my pithy comment quota on Facebook today.

Regarding optics: I'm not sure what I'll do. I have the RMRcc spec sheet up in another window and the 43x MOS and calipers here in my lap. The cut out region for the optic is smaller than the RMRcc footprint. There's no way a RMRcc is going on this slide without removing material from the slide. A mounting plate adapter is not possible unless it is designed to raise the optic until it is at the top of the slide. If the new little RMRcc would fit, I would put one of those on there. If a Holosun 407k/507k would fit, I'd try one of those. From the looks of things neither will fit, so unless I have the pistol milled, I'm limited to the RMSc. And I have concerns about the durability of the RMSc, especially given its price point. Just looking at the Shield product line, maybe a RMSw would be worth it. I just don't know.

I think I'll just shoot the pistol some and decide later. The big question for me is how does the 43x compare to the G26. I carry the G26 a good bit more than my G43. IF the 43x conceals a little better and IF I can shoot it a little better than the G26, then I would count it as a step up (notwithstanding the loss of 12-round mags). I had a G19 with a RMR for a while, which I sold off when I moved to Gen5. Objectively, I was a better shooter with the dot (particularly at distance), but I never fell in love with the dot either. Given that experience, I don't feel a great rush to put a dot on this pistol. I guess I'll await the recommendation of the PF Red Dot Testing Division.

This seems as good a place as any to ask this...

What is driving folks choices regarding the 43x vs the 48? Does your choice or criteria change once the idea of the rail and/or optic option is introduced? If you already own a 43x are you considering sticking with that model when going to the MOS or changing to the 48? How about those in the reverse situation that currently own a legacy 48?
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    This seems as good a place as any to ask this...

What is driving folks choices regarding the 43x vs the 48? Does your choice or criteria change once the idea of the rail and/or optic option is introduced? If you already own a 43x are you considering sticking with that model when going to the MOS or changing to the 48? How about those in the reverse situation that currently own a legacy 48?
    I owned a G43X for 5 months and 600+ rounds, so I think I gave it a fair shot. I never, really, enjoyed shooting it. I’m recoil averse, and found it a bit to snappy to put up with. So I traded it three months ago for a P365XL that I’m about done evaluating. The Sig is ok, but isn’t working out for me any better than our P365. I shot the small Sig at a match and had an odd malfunction with the follower popping out of the mag tube, so I'm having doubts about switching over to Sigs altogether and am going to stay with Glock. My thinking now is a G48 with it’s heavier slide and longer RSA, will tame that G43X recoil a bit. The G48 will pair as a EDC for my stock 2017 G19.5 I use for USPSA.

Bearing in mind I know zilch about Dots, regarding the MOS, I’m frankly astonished Trijicon and Glock didn’t seem to get together. Having what seems to be yet another unique optic footprint that doesn’t fit these new Glocks without a plate is a curious decision by Trijicon. But I’m sure they know what they’re doing. For me, I’m going to wait to see how this shakes out, so I’ll be getting one of the regular G48s with Ameriglos with this year’s GSSF coupon, and sit out the dot race for now. It's a small consideration, but I'll also not have to buy a new holster, since the new railed models don't appear to fit in current line-up, so I plan to use the longer G48 JM CK IWB 3 Tony suggested I buy for the G43X "just in case", which I still have.
    Last edited by RJ; 09-02-2020 at 06:41 AM.

@RJ the G43X and G48 use the same recoil spring assembly. That’s why the slides are interchangeable.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    @RJ the G43X and G48 use the same recoil spring assembly. That’s why the slides are interchangeable.
    Thanks for the info, that’s useful.

I was confusing it between our P365 and P365XL. The slide is also interchangeable, but the RSA is a different part.

I’ve seen various videos between G43X and G48 describing the 48 as softer. Must be the slide mass then I guess.

Apologies for continuing the thread drift. I’ll get back in my lane now.

I don’t really understand Glock’s thinking on these new pistols. Cut for one optic, that is hard to get, and not suitable for hard use. Then a non-standard rail that is designed for a Surefire light not released and a Streamlight offering to come soon.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I don’t really understand Glock’s thinking on these new pistols. Cut for one optic, that is hard to get, and not suitable for hard use. Then a non-standard rail that is designed for a Surefire light not released and a Streamlight offering to come soon.
    I thought you were a fan of your Shield? But I agree - how Trijicon and Glock managed to miss this opportunity is shocking, IMO with most of the blame going to Trijicon for not following an existing mounting footprint.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I’m sure I missed it, but in the event that I do wind up with one of these, what is that one optic?
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Sounds like Glock Europe doesn't care what the US market wants.
    #RESIST

User Tag List