Page 36 of 38 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 LastLast

Thread: Glock 43X/48 Optic Ready Slimline models with rail

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    If one was choosing a slim 9 mm based on available information witch would one choose? A Shield or a 365 or a slimline G-lock?

Just asking for general information....
    I've had all three. I never warmed to either the G43 or G43X - the 43 was too small in my hands, and both grips are too slick, IMHO, for optimal shooting at rapid pace. I have NO idea why GLOCK just doesn't break down and put the Gen4/5 texturing on these. My G43X also gave the worst case of "trigger slap" on reset of any pistol I've ever owned - not sure what that's about, but I'm not the only person who's experienced this.

The Shield feels great in the hand, but is significantly larger for the capacity it delivers. Trigger on it is the most "meh" of the three, but it still delivered better than Glock accuracy for me.

The P365 is magic fairy dust small given it's a 10+1 pistol - it makes the G26 feel positively enormous. Smaller than the G43, with nearly twice the capacity and a better trigger is a hard combination to beat. The only thing going against the P365 is it's a Sig, which, unfortunately, means I just don't trust it completely. It's significantly more complicated than either the Glock or M&P, and, in my experience, more parts = more probability of problems UNLESS the company making it has an absolutely unimpeachable track record for top quality material and construction. That does NOT apply, in any way, to the Cohen era Sig, more's the pity.

Currently the only "smallish" pistol I own is a P365XL. I find it to be just about the perfect size for all but absolutely deep concealment applications. It's extremely accurate, surprisingly soft shooting, and has been problem free through about 1,000 rounds so far. Unfortunately, it's still a Sig, so it very rarely comes out of the safe for any actual carry. Lucky for me, it's winter, so my Dan Wesson CCO or G19 are getting all my carry attention. Not sure what I'm going to do when it heats up - I might break down and try another G43X, just for the "comfort" factor of not having any nagging worries in the back of my head that my pistol won't work when I need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    If one was choosing a slim 9 mm based on available information witch would one choose? A Shield or a 365 or a slimline G-lock?

Just asking for general information....
    Probably depends on what you are looking for, either in general use (Carry? BUG? Home Defense?) or specifics (Features? Capacity?).

I am loathe to suggest "what gun" for somebody else, but I have bought and sold a few in the last 2-3 years including Walther PPS M2, P365, Glock 43X, and P365XL. I owned each for several months and shot at least 500 rounds before moving on to my current (and hopefully final) choice. My criteria were for a reliable, accurate, robust, compact, carry-able, safe handgun, with sufficient capacity that I could shoot accurately (clean FYL at 5 yards, 95 or better on The Test, 90 or better on a B8 at 25 yd), was easy to service/source parts and had adequate aftermarket accessories for sights, holsters, etc. A bonus would be if there was a bigger version of my EDC that I could buy to shoot USPSA (a family of guns, if you will.)

My first one was the Walther PPS M2. It was heavy for it's capacity. It shot well. The non-reversible mag release did not work for me; as a lefty I accidentally had the mag disengage while carrying, twice. It was versatile with 6/7/8 magazines. It had a "SCD"-like dingus that protruded out the end of the slide. I used this gun in a JM CK hip holster when I paid for a couple hours personal training in Clackamas OR with this dude named Gabe White in 2017. He was pretty smart, I wonder what happened to him?

After dabbling with a couple short round 10 round guns (HKP30SK LEM V1, Glock 26), I decided I did not like shooting short round guns and went looking for the "perfect" carry gun.

My wife bought a P365 summer of '19. It is small. Damn but it's small. Still, with a two-finger grip the sucker shoots like a laser. Steel night sights standard. Trigger press is very smooth. So far, our example (she still has it) has been malfunction free over 450 rounds.

Since the P365 was too tiny, I bought a Glock 43X. It immediately got a SCD and Ameriglo sights. And an Overwatch trigger, because you know. And a Glock store Tungsten guide rod: I was one of those people who perceived it to be snappy, really snappy. But, it ran with zero problems for 8 months and 600 rounds. I sold it because I did not enjoy shooting it.

Then followed a Sig P365XL. It was "optic" ready, but I wasn't ready for dots. It was reliable and accurate. Mags were an eye-watering $50+, each. It was malfunction free over 4 months and 641 rounds. I enjoyed shooting it. It pocket carried in a Desantis Nemesis (I'm not sure how, but it did.) I usually carried either in a Vedder Light Tuck or a JM CK IWB3. I had two issues: The FCU "rocked" in the frame slightly on my example. No biggie shooting, but it bugged me in Dry Practice. Second was at a USPSA match I shot it in; one of the mag followers barfed out of the top of mag tube, maybe after dropping it on a stage. I stuffed it in and carried on loading. But later I was able to pretty easily pry the follower out of the top of the mag. I sold it because I didn't think it was robust enough.

Also, I decided at this point I would not be getting a P320 to replace my Glock 19 in USPSA, either, because: doubts.

So I traded the XL on a black, non-MOS, non-Rail Glock 48. I put an SCD and Ameriglo sights on it. I've currently got a Talon rubber grip on it that I'm meh on. That's it. It is reliable and accurate. I scored 98-4X on The Test with it a week or so ago, a personal best score. I lost a bunch of weight recently allowing me to carry it AIWB in a Dark Star Gear Hitchhiker with a Dark Wing and a Junk Carry Pillow. I scored a bunch of 10 round mags from a p-f member, so I'm set there. Yeah the trigger is a Glock. But I can take it completely apart and put it back together using a punch and a roll of tape for an armorer's block. And it works afterwards.

I have had one malfunction which I attributed to the ammo I was using. Otherwise I'm up to mid-three figures (can't remember the exact count) rounds over five months now. I bought a Blue Gun G48 for manipulations. I love shooting it. I think the G48 is "the one".

Hope this helps.

Edit to add: I have rented both a Shield and a G43. Both were slipperier than a greased pig in a swimming pool full of Crisco. They jumped and bucked shooting. But that's with only a box or less of ammo through them; maybe they would grow on me. I did own a S&W M&P 9mm first gen full size (my first gun) and I did not like the S&W hinged trigger, at all. So I think the Shield has one of those; that would bug me, but they sure do sell a lot of them. They appear to not have any major issues. I just think there are better options these days.
    Last edited by RJ; 02-05-2021 at 08:06 PM.

1) I was in the LGS this afternoon and started chatting with another customer. Turns out he had a 48 MOS with a 507K on him, my wife had a 365XL with a K on her, and I had a 43X with a RMSc. Slimline pistols and red dots are become more common!

2) shot the four inch PC model Shield — easily the best shooting slimline I have experienced.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Hope I am not beating a dead horse. Does anyone know what the pocket depth is on the 43x/48 MOS optics cut?

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    Hope I am not beating a dead horse. Does anyone know what the pocket depth is on the 43x/48 MOS optics cut?
    0.190"

Quote Originally Posted by EricM View Post
    0.190"
    Thank you!

Odd question -

I just purchased a 43x MOS and really like it. Is there any hope of getting this on the USPSA production list so I can compete with it in CO at Steel Challenge matches? Has anyone ever dealt with Glock on getting a gun added to the production list?

What sights is everyone running on these? I have a G48 MOS with a Swampfox Sentinel, so no optic plate required. I want a set of either all black or black rear / fiber front sights that sit in the lower 1/3 of the optic. Any idea what heights I should be looking for?

I can get a pretty low sight picture through the optic with the factory plastic sights. I'd like something a little taller. A rough measurement of those:
    Front: .200 height
    Rear: .250 height

Thanks!

Seller’s market for certain. $799.99 for a G43X MOS @ local gun show yesterday. Vendor had 2. The second included a SIG Romeo Zero. A steal at $999.99.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
    Odd question -

I just purchased a 43x MOS and really like it. Is there any hope of getting this on the USPSA production list so I can compete with it in CO at Steel Challenge matches? Has anyone ever dealt with Glock on getting a gun added to the production list?
    Last May, I emailed D NROI that the Sig P365XL was not on the USPSA production list. Mr. McManus replied stating that he was in the process of updating the list. The P365XL was subsequently added.

User Tag List