Page 27 of 38 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 43X/48 Optic Ready Slimline models with rail

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Have other manufacturers ever had difficulty getting lower mass, full or mid size but thin 9mms to run reliability? Example - my 3913 has never bobbled once in almost 30 years. And I’m an analyst.

Do you have information that would counter that overall industry experience with slimline 9s?
    Metal frame guns vs polymer frame guns is an apples to oranges comparison.

I’ve not heard of any metal frame service sized guns having malfunctions induced by WMLs but it is a known issue with certain Glocks.

Both metal frame and and polymer frame guns have inherent differences, strengths and weaknesses.

Another potential issue when comparing G19 to G48 is that the slide cycle of the G48 is significantly shorter. The G48, despite having a barrel length similar to the G19, uses the same recoil spring as the G43x, similar to the 34 vs 17. My guess is the short cycle length/time makes for very narrow margins of error for function as compared to a true midsize like the 19.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

What deficiencies showed up in testing the 43x/48 compared to the 19 in testing asides the extra recoil/snappiness?

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    Streamlight’s offering. I think it’s more appealing than the Surefire light.

Streamlight's response to my inquiry: This light is currently in its early stages of development. Please check back early next year for more information.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Xhado View Post
    If you have a TLR7 and a 3D printer you can run it on your 43X/48 MOS today

https://grabcad.com/library/tlr7-adapter-key-1
    You can PUT a light on your 43X/48 whether it will run is another story.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonder9 View Post
    What deficiencies showed up in testing the 43x/48 compared to the 19 in testing asides the extra recoil/snappiness?
    The ones discussed in the last several pages of this thread.....

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The ones discussed in the last several pages of this thread.....
    "Agency testing on the 43X/48 indicates they are not as reliable as service size guns."

The is what interests me, especially in a departmental setting. How did your department quantify the slimlines are not as reliable as the legacy Glocks?

Is it just the impact of mounted accessories or was there significant issues in stock form, especially since they were not approved?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonder9 View Post
    "Agency testing on the 43X/48 indicates they are not as reliable as service size guns."

The is what interests me, especially in a departmental setting. How did your department quantify the slimlines are not as reliable as the legacy Glocks?

Is it just the impact of mounted accessories or was there significant issues in stock form, especially since they were not approved?
    Both.

It’s not “legacy” Glocks it’s G43 pattern vs full size Glocks.

The 43/43x/48 all use the 43 recoil system. As mentioned that creates a narrow window for function and timing which apparently doesn’t do well with +p duty ammo like our 124 +p gold dot or 147 grain ammo like the FBI’s G2 Gold dot. The issues with the G43 system not liking +p have been well documented private users.

The G48 looks like a slimline G19 but it’s not, it really analogous to the G47 except with the G43 recoil system instead of a G19 system.

Adding lights and/or magazine extensions made the issues worse. Similar to the issues found in Gen 3 Glock .40s with WML.

The full details are covered by NDA.

The G 43 based guns are meant to be low profile concealed carry guns. Give them ammo they like and don’t try to make it into a service pistol and it will do its original job OK.

Guns are bullet launchers, The proper way to select a duty weapon is to pick a load or loads you want to launch and then look for guns that run those loads reliably. From an agency point of view if a gun doesn’t work with our chosen duty ammo then we find another gun.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Metal frame guns vs polymer frame guns is an apples to oranges comparison.

I’ve not heard of any metal frame service sized guns having malfunctions induced by WMLs but it is a known issue with certain Glocks.

Both metal frame and and polymer frame guns have inherent differences, strengths and weaknesses.
    My statement was more about your original comment that the slimlines weren’t as reliable as doublestack Glocks, not the issues caused by hanging WMLs off the dustcover. I’ve always been hesitant to use WMLs for that very reason.

Edit - you posted while I was composing addressing this in more depth. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DpdG View Post
    Another potential issue when comparing G19 to G48 is that the slide cycle of the G48 is significantly shorter. The G48, despite having a barrel length similar to the G19, uses the same recoil spring as the G43x, similar to the 34 vs 17. My guess is the short cycle length/time makes for very narrow margins of error for function as compared to a true midsize like the 19.
    This is the kind of data that makes sense to me - I never compared the slimline cycle against a 19.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    My statement was more about your original comment that the slimlines weren’t as reliable as doublestack Glocks, not the issues caused by hanging WMLs off the dustcover. I’ve always been hesitant to use WMLs for that very reason.

Edit - you posted while I was composing addressing this in more depth. Thanks!

This is the kind of data that makes sense to me - I never compared the slimline cycle against a 19.
    Think of a G43 recoil system as a an Officers length 1911 recoil system vs a 5' or commander recoil system. The 48 is not a commander, it's a commander with an Officers ACP recoil system.

Colt eventually made a better officers length system in the Defender but it will never be 5' .45 1911 reliable. Nor is it intended to be.

User Tag List