Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Revolver-centric gunsmiths

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    I’m keeping an eye on this thread..Does anyone know who still does work on Colt revolvers? I have a older Colt “Offical Police” that while in great shape, the cylinder latch sticks.. I very carefully took the side plate off, and while the latch’s operation is rather simple, I couldn’t find why it was sticking, no dirt, old oil, nothing.. as an aside, the internals looked beautiful..no rust or anything..so, I know they’re good.. So, I need someone who knows their way around in a Colt DA/SA revolver...I’d like to get the old girl fixed, and run a few rounds through her..
    A small spring powers the latch, and this spring has a latch spring guide. Springs can kinked or move out of correct positions. On the underside of the latch is a nylon insert. Pressing down on the latch then puts pressure on the insert. The latch rides against the insert. Worn inserts cause problems. Some make replacements out of weed eater line. My notes say .095 diameter line will suffice. So will a piece cut from spray tube nozzles. Your insert was made before engineers were concerned with solvent action on plastics. Once I damaged an insert with carb cleaner when I was young and dumb. Don't overlook the fact that crud in various places adds may be your problem. That plus gum from oils. After inspecting, I would blow out the innards including plate and latch with Kroil. Let sit. Try again.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    A small spring powers the latch, and this spring has a latch spring guide. Springs can kinked or move out of correct positions. On the underside of the latch is a nylon insert. Pressing down on the latch then puts pressure on the insert. The latch rides against the insert. Worn inserts cause problems. Some make replacements out of weed eater line. My notes say .095 diameter line will suffice. So will a piece cut from spray tube nozzles. Your insert was made before engineers were concerned with solvent action on plastics. Once I damaged an insert with carb cleaner when I was young and dumb. Don't overlook the fact that crud in various places adds may be your problem. That plus gum from oils. After inspecting, I would blow out the innards including plate and latch with Kroil. Let sit. Try again.
    When I had the side plate off, and the latch removed, there was no nylon insert present, just the latch spring and guide, latch spring did not appear to be kinked, inside side plate appeared clean.. hmmm, I might need a insert.. you couldn’t post a pic of what this insert looks like, could you?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    When I had the side plate off, and the latch removed, there was no nylon insert present, just the latch spring and guide, latch spring did not appear to be kinked, inside side plate appeared clean.. hmmm, I might need a insert.. you couldn’t post a pic of what this insert looks like, could you?
    I regret that I can't. The Python and Official Police have same action. Numrich and Brownell's would be my would be my first places to check. Colt would one and if they would answer the phone, they might help. The person you talk with will never have heard of an Official Police.

I checked Numrich's website. Their schematics omitted the insert on the Python and Official Police. I disagree with the schematics. Let me put my thinking cap on and start trying to find out more for you. Certainly very early revolvers did not have this plastic insert. Anyway, let me investigate. Will say more later.
    Last edited by willie; 08-28-2020 at 12:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Cartwright View Post
    Folks:
    Al Greco of Freedom PA does great revolver work. I had Al build me a full house custom revolver years ago that is superb. I had Al shorten a shotgun barrel last year and he did a fine job. Al still advertises doing revolver work on his website ("https://www.alscustom.com/revolvers/"). I am not sure what his turn around time is these days though. FYI.
    Bruce
    Al does great work. The Model 10 in my avatar is his work.

http://www.laroccagunworks.com

Though he’s behind enemy lines in MA, Mike has always done great revolver work.

Site Supporter
    Has anyone had any S&W work done by Nelson Ford at https://thegunsmith.com/thegunsmith.html?

Site Supporter
    Clark's worked on two S&Ws for me (re-barelled a 29 to 3" and rebuilt an abused 27) and Karl Sokol did a S&W 640-1 for (re-timed, some sight work and action job) and one Colt (re-timed, action job, brass front sight insert and hammer shroud install) for my friend. Very happy with all the work from both shops.

User Tag List