Page 2 of 99 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: OIS in Kenosha Wisconsin, civil unrest

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    People do not get shot when they cooperate with the police. It's really not a difficult concept.

I agree. The dude was making really bad decisions.

I also feel the officers in the video were trying to use the threat of getting shot as a magic wand for compliance, it seems like they lacked the training and tools (physical skills and mental mindset) to go hands on.

I am not a cop and never want to be one and would get my ass handed to me in a hands on confrontation. The video looks bad seen through the vision of everyday folks - even the report "his kids were in the car."

Bad day for everyone.

People do not get shot when they cooperate with the police. It's really not a difficult concept.
    That’s the wrong argument. It’s easily countered by incidents that, while rare and might have complicating circumstances, are high profile and sway people’s opinions.

Like the guy recently who came barreling out of his apartment door, gun in hand, and got shot down even though he immediately started to comply when he saw it was cops who were knocking.

Or the caretaker for the mentally disabled guy playing with the toy truck in the street. He was lying on the ground, hands up in the air, and still got shot.

The right argument is “Not cooperating with the police will get you shot.”

I agree but that doesn't seem to be a priority for an ever increasing number of people these days. Must be a generational thing.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Smile and wave policing is coming.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Smile and wave policing is coming.
    It's already here, according to my sources in LE.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    I agree. The dude was making really bad decisions.

I also feel the officers in the video were trying to use the threat of getting shot as a magic wand for compliance, it seems like they lacked the training and tools (physical skills and mental mindset) to go hands on.

I am not a cop and never want to be one and would get my ass handed to me in a hands on confrontation. The video looks bad seen through the vision of everyday folks - even the report "his kids were in the car."

Bad day for everyone.
    I don't have any familiarity with Kenosha PD in particular, but I think this is often the product of PDs which prohibit their officers from using effective DT techniques which, in the misguided pursuit of deescalation and/or liability mitigation, ends up turning into a shooting.

It's too early to make any judgements about the reasonableness of the officers actions, but I'd danger that this is just another shooting in the giant stack of incidents that could have been effectively resolved with a LVNR.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

This is just the beginning of what most of have known was going to happen. There has to be some cooperation with the police by a certain percentage of the population or policing efforts will be marginalized and citizens will no longer be able to rely on the police. If police are confronted with rifles as they were in Kenosha there isn't going to be any police response. When LE starts taking casualties from armed rioters, the rioters own the streets. When a governor accepts that and even encourages riots the situation may become an armed insurrection. Actually it could already be defined as such judging from the video of the riot last night. It will be interesting to see how this unfolds.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    It's already here, according to my sources in LE.
    I don't blame them.
    #RESIST

I got your back.

This is similar to the Tulsa shooting a few years ago, where a white police woman shot a black man walking to his car. He was almost to the vehicle. Both episodes- THE PARTIES INVOLVED HAD THEIR BACKS TO THE OFFICERS. When you have someone’s back you own them. The take down is there. So take it. A few scraped knees and elbows on both parties is better than a shooting.

But I may be wrong.
    Last edited by Eric_L; 08-24-2020 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    It's too early to make any judgements about the reasonableness of the officers actions
    This.

User Tag List