Page 80 of 99 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast

Thread: OIS in Kenosha Wisconsin, civil unrest

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I think so too. There have been too many to count displays of bravado and implied willingness to go all Bosnia all over the country. From purely marching down the streets, to pushing into state capitals. It's a pretty stupid stunt and I'll be surprised if the stupid doesn't create that blowback.
    The grand irony being that anti-OC laws sure as fuck won't stop a damn thing once the actual 'go all Bosnia' threshold is crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Yung View Post
    Serious tangent question regarding barbecue. Is Kenosha or for that matter any part of Wisconsin particularly notable for BBQ? I'm leaning towards no.
    https://www.smokeyjohns.com/ John isn't especially close to Kenosha (you have to drive all the way to Madison), but he has serious trophies from MN and TX.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    A little snip of Rosenbaum’s pre-sentence report. Apparently his preference was young boys.

Attachment 59821
    I appreciate you guys chasing this down. I have some ... interesting relatives. Being able to show them that their “innocent bystander gunned down by that horrible 17yo terrorist” was something quite different than they thought has made a big difference in the quality of our discourse.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
    A company that sells $100 screwdrivers to broke mechanics at 10% interest doesn't seem like a good investment in the middle of a global recession. I love me some snap on tools, but it seems like a bad time to own their stock. Most/all of their tool trucks are independent dealers working on a franchise model and those guys are going broke, too, which means less tool sales for corporate.
    And that's why you are spending your time posting on internet forums, and....well....so am I.

BTW: Both posts were in jest. My money is safely tucked away in the grasp of TIAA Brokerage and will remain so as long as they dole me out my monthly stipend.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Try as we may, we're never going to eliminate the "my team", "my tribe" mentality. Whether it's the Irish, the Italians, the Greeks or any given ethnicity that has an "identity". I've been saying for years, here and elsewhere, that until we drop the hyphenated American label, we will never move forward as a nation.

Still, tribalism, just like profiling, is baked into how we conduct our affairs.

That said, there is no excuse for the legal system to treat any group of people differently during the investigation, trial, or sentencing. It's as evil as a bill of attainder.

The playing field should be equal for all...in all areas of our lives from health care and education to employment and rights under the law. No person should be accorded more nor less regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender, what have you.

Artificially propping one up to the exclusion of others is a false solution. History has taught us that, imho.
    Bro... you and me be matched wavelengths.

George Carlin had a great skit on America being Advanced Citizenship. If you have to stand there and hyphenate your allegiance, than you have not embraced what it means to be an American Citizen.

I have a family friend who holds dual citizenship still, Polish and American. She describes herself as the same... Polish-American. She has expressed on several occasions, and more so as of late with all of the riots going on, that if given the chance she'd move back to Poland. While she is a mostly pleasant person (she is Polish after all, they're a bit... bossy ) I can honestly say that when she expressed her considerations for moving based on "police shooting all these people" I wanted to tell her to pack her fucking bags and i'll buy her the 1-way ticket myself. If you think Poland is so much better (and the "in Poland we never did X" statements have been more frequent as of late) then leave. No one will stop you.

/rant
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    ...she is Polish after all, they're a bit... bossy
    As someone with a Polish grandmother and a half Polish mother, I can absolutely confirm that statement is understated.

Truth is, sometimes there can be a bit of survivorship bias for the Old Country for a lot of immigrants. One can forget all the bad crap that made one leave in the first place, and just remember all the good things and good times.

A lot of damnyankee carpetbaggers do the same thing in Florida, especially when it comes time to vote.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

George Carlin had a great skit on America being Advanced Citizenship. If you have to stand there and hyphenate your allegiance, than you have not embraced what it means to be an American Citizen.

I have a family friend who holds dual citizenship still, Polish and American. She describes herself as the same... Polish-American. She has expressed on several occasions, and more so as of late with all of the riots going on, that if given the chance she'd move back to Poland. While she is a mostly pleasant person (she is Polish after all, they're a bit... bossy ) I can honestly say that when she expressed her considerations for moving based on "police shooting all these people" I wanted to tell her to pack her fucking bags and i'll buy her the 1-way ticket myself. If you think Poland is so much better (and the "in Poland we never did X" statements have been more frequent as of late) then leave. No one will stop you.

/rant
    I will admit they probably have better pierogies over there.

(Growing up alongside a friend with a Polish mother...I completely understand. She was also a concentration camp survivor...I rarely saw her smile. His father, a Brit, who was actually part of the liberating forces at Bergen-Belsen, was wholly opposite and a complete cutup.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    I have Polish in-laws and appreciate a fine pierogie. In fact, a new pierogie restaurant has just opened up near me. Fine food! I'm a quarter Polish but one has to realize that the Polish Catholic population and the Polish Jewish population have a very troubled past. The former has a good bit of denial of their role in the treatment of the latter during and after WWII. The current government, IIRC, was passing a law making it a crime to mention this history. It is also reviving the old prejudices and starting campaigns against LGBT communities and acts in an authoritarian manner. Eastern European countries don't have a stable history of democracy and acceptance.

Such is thread drift.

Student
    Thomas Massie put in his two cents.

https://www.businessinsider.com/mass...straint-2020-9

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    LVNR is good and very under utilized but it’s not the answer to everything. Like a subject with an edged weapon:

Attachment 59272

/rant
    One of my students just went back to Poland (she was an au paire here) and we discussed politics a fair amount while she was here for 2 years. Let's just say that Poland is way right of Trump. They have a VERY religious right that is barely accepting of small portion of the LGBTQ community, so.....let's not over romanticize the past, our past relationships, or how much better every other country is doing b/c TDS/OMB.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

User Tag List