Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The "should I keep or sell this gun?" thread

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I've got two guns that fit in this category, a SIG P6 and a 4" Colt Official Police.

I bought the P6 when the German police trade-ins came flooding in. I forget what I paid for it. It ran fine but most of the finish was worn off the slide. Back then, you could send a SIG to the mothership and they'd refurb it (pins and springs) and replace the sights with tritiums for $125. I did that and had the slide refinished while it was there for another $125. It was basically like-new when I got it back. It worked through 150-200 124-grain +P HSTs with nary a bobble and happily eats my handloads. I would've happily carried it...if it weren't for where the slide release is. I'd have to stop shooting all my other autoloaders if I were to carry it, so it sits in the safe.

I found the OP at a local gun show for a good price back when nobody else wanted revolvers. It was produced back in the 60s by the serial number and has some honest finish wear but is solid mechanically. It's accurate and places 158-grain bullets right at the top of the front sight. I had Bell Charter Oaks make a pancake holster for it - they either have a form for it or another OP - and it carries quite nicely. I even have six each Comp II and HKS speedloaders for it, and the cylinder release isn't an issue for me. But if it breaks, it may not be repairable due to the dearth of parts, so it too sits in the safe.

I need to list them in the classifieds here. At least they'd go to a good home.
    Guaranteed, if I have money when you list them.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    Don't tell me that! I don't want to second guess myself! What sort of hand guard do you have on yours?
    I went with Lancer carbon fiber handguards. Like you probably, I wasn’t really fond of the Sig handguards so when Lancer came out with theirs I pre ordered. Very happy with them, the only complaint I have is that you have to remove them to break open the has system but that is a once every thousand rounds item so it’s not really an issue. I see that Midwest recently came out with a set as well. They offer a little more length than factory but not nearly as much as the Lancers.

Name:  C5162FA1-05D1-4BE7-B14D-5CC7BEF13A05.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  86.5 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    I went with Lancer carbon fiber handguards. Like you probably, I wasn’t really fond of the Sig handguards so when Lancer came out with theirs I pre ordered. Very happy with them, the only complaint I have is that you have to remove them to break open the has system but that is a once every thousand rounds item so it’s not really an issue. I see that Midwest recently came out with a set as well. They offer a little more length than factory but not nearly as much as the Lancers.
    I did toy with the idea of buying the Lancer handguard at one time, but decided I just didn't shoot the rifle enough to justify it. Of course selling it to simply buy another rifle doesn't make much sense either. Regardless, your rifle looks great and I think the handguard would have to be a huge improvement on the original rifle. I looked at Centurion's website and theirs look better than the quadrail too. About how many rounds do you have through your rifle now?

Site Supporter
    I, too, have a Sig P6 safe paperweight. Sadly it's a paperweight because the extractor broke and despite several on and off searches for one, I can't find a replacement extractor to save my life. So it continues to sit, which is kind of a bummer. If I did find an extractor I wanted to send it in to Sig for the SRT and some new sights and such, maybe a refinish, but I'm told Sig no longer works on the P6's at all.

I really liked it too. Aside from the really heavy DA it was a great smaller 9mm that was easy to shoot and great for teaching DA/SA basics to new shooters with smaller hands.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    I, too, have a Sig P6 safe paperweight. Sadly it's a paperweight because the extractor broke and despite several on and off searches for one, I can't find a replacement extractor to save my life. So it continues to sit, which is kind of a bummer. If I did find an extractor I wanted to send it in to Sig for the SRT and some new sights and such, maybe a refinish, but I'm told Sig no longer works on the P6's at all.

I really liked it too. Aside from the really heavy DA it was a great smaller 9mm that was easy to shoot and great for teaching DA/SA basics to new shooters with smaller hands.

Sig Sauer Internal Extractor - P220-9, 220-38S, 225, 226, 228
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Site Supporter
    This is hilarious, because TGS was out of stock on those for literally years - so I gave up checking them. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    This is hilarious, because TGS was out of stock on those for literally years - so I gave up checking them. Thanks!
    <shrugs?> When I bought my P225 there were no mags to be found.

FWIW, mine is also in the safe as well as a couple of P239s. They are nice shooting guns, but for carry, they have kind of been made obsolete by all the compact plastic 9s that are thinner, lighter and hold more rounds.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Well, unfortunately yeah. Like an Aes Sedai I cannot lie.
    Bonus points for working a Wheel Of Time reference in. Which Ajah?
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    They are nice shooting guns, but for carry, they have kind of been made obsolete by all the compact plastic 9s that are thinner, lighter and hold more rounds.
    Anyone wanna buy a 3953?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Anyone wanna buy a 3953?
    That would go nicely with my 5943 which I'm thinking about selling to get a bespoke Beretta DAO from Buds...
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

User Tag List