Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The "should I keep or sell this gun?" thread

Site Supporter
    I thought I'd post an update. I sold the Beretta CX4 and made a tidy profit. Now I'm deciding to keep or sell my Sig 516. I bought this carbine in 2012 and really haven't shot it much at all. I don't like the quad rail and the gun just feels heavy to me. Sig has stopped production of the 516, and I'm not optimistic that they'll support the platform. The piston system makes the rifle interesting to me, but that's the main draw. If I sell it, I'll likely roll the money into a DI carbine. If anyone thinks of a compelling reason not to sell the 516, please let me know. I'm ~80% decided on getting rid of it.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Put that ish on GB. Take good pics, write a good description, communicate quickly when anyone asks questions.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I keep going back and forth as to whether to post in this thread or not.

I have a 2017, early, pig-nose Glock 19 gen 5 that I bought in 2017 with my first GSSF coupon for $480 I think it was. It's (mostly) redundant as I'm trying to figure out whether my carry needs and competition interests (to be honest USPSA is more of a hobby) will be served by a Sig P365XL. To date, the Sig is working out, 480 rounds with zero malfunctions, blah blah. With my Ruger LCR, these three guns "are" my gun collection.

Thing is I pick up the Glock 19 and think, you know, "for me" it's a pretty large sized gun. Still, sitting on the nightstand with a mag of 147 HSTs is a good feeling. Or, in the event I need a gun in the glovebox with another mag spare, it seems like a pretty decent option these days.

I did peek at GB online to see what asking prices would be for a well-used Glock 19 with 6000+ rounds, and it just doesn't seem like it's worth the hassle of FFL xfer plus shipment fees, to extract some cash out of it, even in the pandemic. It's a gen 5, so no Cali sales driving price up for me. I am guessing I might clear $4xx. Which is probably not far off what I'd get in trade (plus my LGS would give me a receipt, plus no shipping costs, plus no FFL fees) in on another P365XL, which to be honest is probably what I'll do. Trading in might not be the most cost effective, and I'm sure I've left money on the table in all my transactions but it's something I'm willing to absorb as a trade for not having to deal with an unknown buyer across the country.

Good thread. I find the stories interesting.
    Cliff's on where I ended up:

Kept the G19.5 for USPSA. Traded the P365XL for a Glock 48. Plan to carry the G48 and keep shooting the G19 in competition/training.

The P365XL was a great gun. Very pretty. 12+1 good. Shot accurately. On the minus side, I never got a resolution on the FCU moving slightly in dry practice at the press. The plastic lugs on the frame didn't meet up with the steel ones on the FCU by about 0.100", and it did this little fore/aft move right before each press. I shot it in exactly one USPSA match. One mag decided to barf the follower out of the feed lips one one stage. I pushed it in but it didn't instill confidence. Also: mags are arm and leg expensive, and hard to come by. All in all, I might have kept it except that SWMBO already has a P365 which can work for our 10+1 carry gun. And with the curved trigger I shoot it demonstrably better than the XL. I kind of concluded that the small Sigs were better "hobby" guns, for newish or low round count shooters. They certainly work, but I didn't (we didn't) really need two of them.

I bought the G48 using a GSSF coupon in the trade for the XL. The Glock 48 is...weird. Picking it up empty it feels ungainly. And kinda thin. And long. It's funny because having shot my G43X (gun prior to the XL) I am puzzled by why the slightly longer slide makes such a difference, but it does. With a mag in and shooting it though, even though I have a scant 80 rounds so far, it feels very nice and I don't know, normal? in my size M hands. The G19 feels positively porky by comparison. I realize this is probably blasphemy, but somebody online said the Glock 48 is not unlike a 1911 commander length. I don't think they are far off, based on solely handling a 1911 in a gun store recently (strictly for research, I assure you. )

So I'm where I probably should have started in 2014: I've got two Glocks and an LCR.

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    It's definitely more hassle than putting then on consignment, but I think the prices justify it right now.
    Having just sold a pistol on gunbroker for the first time since this panic started I would disagree. The prices do not, cannot, justify the sheer idiocy out there. It's all new buyers with no feedback asking even dumber questions than usual.

A sample from one auction:

Will $xyz buy it right now I'll put it on a cc be a done deal in 5 minutes
    Hey I was wondering if you take paypal or credit cards
    No. I don't take credit cards. I'm an individual that, in a fit of literate proficiency, indicated in the ad the type of payment accepted: USPS MOs and Cashier's checks. The later of which caused so much confusion I now only take USPS MOs because getting the average gun buyer to understand that "your personal check is not a cashier's check" is like asking a toddler to do calculus.

Do you want to sell me this os (sic: off site)
    No. I also don't want to see what candy you have in your van.

USPS MOs worry me as payment, Also, you're in TX, how does FFL transactions work?
    The post office worries me to, but this is the world we live in. Also, magnets. FFL transactions work via magnets. Even in Texas.

Hey I'm very interested would you take $lowball?
    No. I will also not deliver it to your driveway like an Amazon Prime purchase. Do you know how bidding works?

Is there something wrong with it, just wondering why you'd want to get rid of it?
    Well, unfortunately yeah. Like an Aes Sedai I cannot lie. It turns out my barely used USPSA gun vomits pea soup when you say "IDPA" and can't get through half a magazine without halting and catching fire, which is what I meant when I said "no malfunctions". But still, I think it's worth 80% of NIB in spite of the fact that you've got The Poltergeist 3 brewing in your gunsafe.

Oh, who am I kidding. You're never going to buy a gun safe. This is going straight into the sock drawer.

I bid anyway but I'm not comfortable sending money orders to an individual, are you sure you don't take credit cards?
    Yes. I just triple checked. I have not, in the intervening time, manifested the power to take credit cards. I did not recently shit out a food truck complete with iPads and squarecash payment terminals. I am just a person. Soy un hombre. Not a business.
    Last edited by jh9; 09-24-2020 at 08:37 AM.

^^^^^Clicked "like," then "unlike," just so that I could click "like" again.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Having just sold a pistol on gunbroker for the first time since this panic started I would disagree. The prices do not, cannot, justify the sheer idiocy out there. It's all new buyers with no feedback asking even dumber questions than usual.

A sample from one auction:.....
    That same idiocy has infected online sales of pretty much everything. I've been dealing with the same nonsense trying to sell car parts, and I've gotten to the point where I'd almost rather throw them away than deal with the astonishingly unreasonable BS asked for by buyers.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post

A sample from one auction:

No. I don't take credit cards. I'm an individual that, in a fit of literate proficiency, indicated in the ad the type of payment accepted: USPS MOs and Cashier's checks. The later of which caused so much confusion I now only take USPS MOs because getting the average gun buyer to understand that "your personal check is not a cashier's check" is like asking a toddler to do calculus.

No. I also don't want to see what candy you have in your van.

The post office worries me to, but this is the world we live in. Also, magnets. FFL transactions work via magnets. Even in Texas.

No. I will also not deliver it to your driveway like an Amazon Prime purchase. Do you know how bidding works?

Well, unfortunately yeah. Like an Aes Sedai I cannot lie. It turns out my barely used USPSA gun vomits pea soup when you say "IDPA" and can't get through half a magazine without halting and catching fire, which is what I meant when I said "no malfunctions". But still, I think it's worth 80% of NIB in spite of the fact that you've got The Poltergeist 3 brewing in your gunsafe.

Oh, who am I kidding. You're never going to buy a gun safe. This is going straight into the sock drawer.

Yes. I just triple checked. I have not, in the intervening time, manifested the power to take credit cards. I did not recently shit out a food truck complete with iPads and squarecash payment terminals. I am just a person. Soy un hombre. Not a business.
    That's the way it goes with just about anything you try to sell online anymore. RV's and vehicles are just as bad. I think the problem may be that every bottom feeder out there now has a smart phone. I don't text, don't have a smart phone, so I always include something easy to understand at the end like "I don't text so just call or email". Usually I'll get about half of the inquiries by text and lots of really crazy conversations with druggies and people who can't read or understand English. I've even had people threaten me when I tell them you need to look someplace else. I've had good luck selling things on online but one has to deal with the unwashed masses. I guess I just have a real high tolerance level when it comes to negotiating with a potential buyer.
    Last edited by Borderland; 09-24-2020 at 10:10 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Oh yes, the ol' "I'll give you $x cash today." Cash today is the only way this sale is happening, I'm not really sure how else you expected to pay.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I unloaded a Aero AR-15 and an XDM-40 yesterday at a substantial profit, but lower than GB prices. A guy walked in and was frustrated he couldn't find anything he wanted anywhere. I was more than glad to get rid of some lower quality stuff I've been hanging on to. I'm holding out unloading my other excess rifles for another month or so. I'm too old to fight for long, so a couple AR's and a few dozen mags are going to keep me going for the rest of my life. The rest are just excess looking to fund some of my other investments that have even higher returns than firearms at this point.

I've been pairing down many of the aspects of my life since I hit 50 a couple years ago. Some of the shit I own simply doesn't make sense and I'm damn happy I'm going to make a solid profit on much of my firearms and related stuff. Doesn't make me less of a staunch 2nd Amendment supporter, but at some point you realize that a two AR's, some hunting arms, and enough carry pistols for the next 30 years is just about all you really need. (oh, and an ammo stockpile)
    Pretty much all this!

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    I usually regret selling any guns but I can’t afford them all. My mantra has become “less guns but better guns”.
    I am taking this opportunity to clean out the safe and upgrade.
    Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    I thought I'd post an update. I sold the Beretta CX4 and made a tidy profit. Now I'm deciding to keep or sell my Sig 516. I bought this carbine in 2012 and really haven't shot it much at all. I don't like the quad rail and the gun just feels heavy to me. Sig has stopped production of the 516, and I'm not optimistic that they'll support the platform. The piston system makes the rifle interesting to me, but that's the main draw. If I sell it, I'll likely roll the money into a DI carbine. If anyone thinks of a compelling reason not to sell the 516, please let me know. I'm ~80% decided on getting rid of it.
    Sell 516. Too proprietary. And screw SIG!

User Tag List