Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The "should I keep or sell this gun?" thread

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Don't even get me going on this one. And to make matter worse, she being a white South African should know better.

Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post
    I also have a Ruger PC9 I've long thought about selling. It's a nice gun, but I just never shoot it that often.
    I know exactly how you feel! Back in the 1990s I had a Marlin Camp 9 that was a nice gun, I just didn't shoot it that often. Sold it. Then about 15 years later I really had the need for a 9mm carbine and there were NONE to be found for a half way reasonable price. I remember bidding on Gunbroker insane amounts for PC9s and loosing. Thankfully Ruger returned to the 9mm carbine market. Then there was my Canadian surplus Inglis High Power I sold to a buddy for a song - oh how I wish I had that gun back, the magazine it's self is worth more than I sold it to him for (and to make matter worse he married a huge Liberal so I wake in cold sweats at night thinking what happened to that poor pistol). Then there was that little Russian Makaraov........

Many many more stories of woe........

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    I've been mulling over selling off some things, mainly due to wanting to consolidate on caliber stocking. The problem is that the only things I have left in off-chamberings is heartthrobs like SA wheelies in .44spec and .45LC, and I like that stuff, even if keeping ammo around is an expense.

What to do, what to do.
    I would keep the heart throbs. They are important in any gun collection. It is difficult to explain but once in a great while, I open the gun safe and go: i am glad I have that and that one and this one. Something about contentment. I am not doing well explaining this.

Quote Originally Posted by WOLFIE View Post
    I would keep the heart throbs. They are important in any gun collection. It is difficult to explain but once in a great while, I open the gun safe and go: i am glad I have that and that one and this one. Something about contentment. I am not doing well explaining this.
    No, no; you did more than well enough explaining things to convince me.

I find it interesting that the buying surged haven’t really found forums. There are a lot of decent choices sitting stagnant on forums. Armslist hasn’t seem to pick up either, though my interests are pretty non standard.

After fiddling around with a bunch of stuff over the years, I’ll be taking this opportunity to thin out the herd too.
    David S.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    I find it interesting that the buying surged haven’t really found forums. There are a lot of decent choices sitting stagnant on forums. Armslist hasn’t seem to pick up either, though my interests are pretty non standard.
    It has certainly found gunbroker.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    No, no; you did more than well enough explaining things to convince me.

I sold an HK USC which I really liked and thought it was one of the cooler guns out there. I told myself only ten rounds in the mags; there are better choices. Sell it and buy something more “tactical” or useful”. Well I bought one again darn it and I am going to shoot the heck out of it for fun. And I am buying more mags because I know how to reload. I am just not fast. I also bought an HK USP 45 Elite around the same time. It was a good month.

Oddly, I have a lot of things I would have done differently in life, but not guns I let go that I second guess. I sold a Colt Python Ultimate Stainless for cheaper than I should have, but more than doubled my money in it, so that's ok. I sold an H&K P7M8 for just less than I paid retail, but I had several years use by that time. Those were the two I came closest to regretting, but even then, no.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    It has certainly found gunbroker.
    That is my operating assumption, and everything I've seen leads me to believe it's true. I just posted the CX4. Opening price is $800 which is what I paid for it. I'm ashamed to tell you what the buy-it-now price is, but these are crazy times.

As an aside, if anyone posts anything for sell, be aware that your user name can be cross-referenced with feedback to reveal more info than you may want. Looking over my info, I realized that you could get my zip code and full name without trying very hard. Fortunately, Gunbroker makes it easy to change your user name, so that's taken care of now.

I unloaded a Aero AR-15 and an XDM-40 yesterday at a substantial profit, but lower than GB prices. A guy walked in and was frustrated he couldn't find anything he wanted anywhere. I was more than glad to get rid of some lower quality stuff I've been hanging on to. I'm holding out unloading my other excess rifles for another month or so. I'm too old to fight for long, so a couple AR's and a few dozen mags are going to keep me going for the rest of my life. The rest are just excess looking to fund some of my other investments that have even higher returns than firearms at this point.

I've been pairing down many of the aspects of my life since I hit 50 a couple years ago. Some of the shit I own simply doesn't make sense and I'm damn happy I'm going to make a solid profit on much of my firearms and related stuff. Doesn't make me less of a staunch 2nd Amendment supporter, but at some point you realize that a two AR's, some hunting arms, and enough carry pistols for the next 30 years is just about all you really need. (oh, and an ammo stockpile)

I have an S&W Model 59 that just sits in the safe. Finish is rough, but it's reliable. I got it because I thought I really liked Smith DAs (and I kinda do, still) and Dad had carried one for a while and had interesting on-the-job stories about it. But the novelty is over. I paid $225 for it, confident I can get that back out again.

I'd consider switching CCW platforms--H&K DA/SA or striker, single-stack G-Locks, P365--but I haven't gotten a chance to try any of them, so I don't think that the G26 3.5 is going anywhere, even if I bought one of those. And besides, even if I did, the G26 is just too handy to let go.

User Tag List