Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The "should I keep or sell this gun?" thread

Currently using an early 2017 Glock 19 Gen 5 for USPSA. I suck at shooting Production. G19 is stock except for tungsten guide rod, brass thug plug, extended OEM mag release, and sights.

Pondering purchase of a Gen 5 MOS Glock 34 to use in competition. Primary benefit I see is the longer sight radius of the G34 being more forgiving. I don't currently plan to buy a dot, I am in Production and would continue to use irons, but I like all the other Gen 5 features that buying a Gen 5 G34 makes sense to me. And I'll be honest four years shooting the G19 I just wanna buy a 34.

Should I keep the Glock 19 or trade it towards the G34?

I have a G48 that I use for EDC, and a Ruger LCR .38 for a BUG/Dog walking/Netflix gun. Either the LCR or the G48 is my bedside gun, paired with a light. I'm not sure I'd have a use for the G19 if I get a G34 for competition, but Dunning and Kruger are close friends of mine, so I don't know what I don't know, hence the question. TIA.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I'm pretty sure you can afford to just get the 34 without selling the 19. Do that. Then, if you don't like the 34 as much, or want to keep both for some reason, you won't have the loss and rebuy sting.

In any case, if you get rid of the 19, put it on Gunbroker. A G19 in good condition will generate a bidding war and you'll get hundreds more right now than trading it in.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Keep the 19. You have how many thousands of rounds through it? That’s a gut-level of trust. You keep that gun, even if its job becomes spare/backup to your G34 in your match/range/training class bag.

You’ve carried it from time to time, IIRC. It can back-up your 48 as a carry gun when need be, too.

I can’t tell you how stupid I felt at a match after my gun went down hard, and I didn’t have a spare. As I was walking out the door that morning, I thought, “oh I should grab the XYZ pistol as a spare. Nah, it’ll be fine, this gun never has problems.“ First stage, it went down hard and I DNF’d the match. Keep the 19, and take it to every match and training class.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Pondering purchase of a Gen 5 MOS Glock 34 to use in competition. Primary benefit I see is the longer sight radius of the G34 being more forgiving. I don't currently plan to buy a dot, I am in Production and would continue to use irons, but I like all the other Gen 5 features that buying a Gen 5 G34 makes sense to me. And I'll be honest four years shooting the G19 I just wanna buy a 34.

Should I keep the Glock 19 or trade it towards the G34?
    Keep Glock 19. Always keep a Glock 19. The 34 is over rated and the best thing you could do for your shooting is get G5G19MOS and put a cheapo dot on it and practice with it. There is no better trigger coach than a well observed dot.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I'm pretty sure you can afford to just get the 34 without selling the 19. Do that. Then, if you don't like the 34 as much, or want to keep both for some reason, you won't have the loss and rebuy sting.

In any case, if you get rid of the 19, put it on Gunbroker. A G19 in good condition will generate a bidding war and you'll get hundreds more right now than trading it in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Keep the 19. You have how many thousands of rounds through it? That’s a gut-level of trust. You keep that gun, even if its job becomes spare/backup to your G34 in your match/range/training class bag.

You’ve carried it from time to time, IIRC. It can back-up your 48 as a carry gun when need be, too.

I can’t tell you how stupid I felt at a match after my gun went down hard, and I didn’t have a spare. As I was walking out the door that morning, I thought, “oh I should grab the XYZ pistol as a spare. Nah, it’ll be fine, this gun never has problems.“ First stage, it went down hard and I DNF’d the match. Keep the 19, and take it to every match and training class.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Keep Glock 19. Always keep a Glock 19. The 34 is over rated and the best thing you could do for your shooting is get G5G19MOS and put a cheapo dot on it and practice with it. There is no better trigger coach than a well observed dot.
    All I heard was permission to buy a G34.

Right?

Heh. Kidding. Yeah I'll keep the dang thing. It's like a pet lol. @Duelist it's at 6,600 rounds, roughly. @Doc_Glock thanks I understand the dot thing but don't have the spare cash for going the dot route as well as an optic ready gun at the moment. I am having a hard enough time getting purchase of a G34G5 past The Boss, but I am about there on a sufficiently-sized bribe so I can.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    I don't think there is a single gun I have ever gotten rid of that I haven't wished at multiple times I still had.
    I can't say this at all. I have sold plenty of guns I thought I would miss. I have even bought back a few I sold because I missed them only to resell them later. But, at this point:

I don't miss the HKs
    I don't miss the Walthers
    I don't miss the 1911s
    I don't miss the SCAR
    I don't miss the Mini-14s
    I don't miss the Sigs
    I don't miss the FNS(s)

I think I tried every plastic pistol except the M&P, and I ended up just staying with Glock. The edumacation in the process was definitely fun. My conclusion in the end was that it just doesn't matter that much which pistol or rifle you choose, but Glocks and ARs are best.

I wish I didn't have such an affinity for inanimate mechanical devices, I just think they all are neat, and that curiosity led me down the road of buying, shooting, messing with and ultimately selling all of the above. I don't miss them now.

Well, I do kinda miss the FS2000.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Well, I do kinda miss the FS2000.
    I would too....

I’ve stayed clear of the Bullpup lane as I know they would be little more than curiosities and yet their oddness would make it hard for me to part with.

I also want to add that my post is meant somewhat tongue-in-cheek as there seems to be a trend here as of late to take everything said literally and requiring annotations.

There are in fact a few guns I’ve sold and never looked back, but the ones I kind of miss out number the ones I don’t.

Site Supporter
    All I heard was permission to buy a G34.

Right?

Heh. Kidding. Yeah I'll keep the dang thing. It's like a pet lol. @Duelist it's at 6,600 rounds, roughly. @Doc_Glock thanks I understand the dot thing but don't have the spare cash for going the dot route as well as an optic ready gun at the moment. I am having a hard enough time getting purchase of a G34G5 past The Boss, but I am about there on a sufficiently-sized bribe so I can.
    You could just get an MOS slide...

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I am having a hard enough time getting purchase of a G34G5 past The Boss, but I am about there on a sufficiently-sized bribe so I can.
    Well, we talked you out of buying Porsche brake pads before you needed, to, so that should count for something.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Well, we talked you out of buying Porsche brake pads before you needed, to, so that should count for something.
    Aye. You know, I drove fairly, ah, rapidly, up to Brooksville FL to Hernando County for a match Sunday (about 65 miles one way). I was out today and didn’t notice that creek creek noise from the right rear. Phew! So I think just getting out and driving (relatively) hard removed that patch of deposits on the rotor. So yep good call.

Back to buying and selling, it’ll be a few months before I can make a move on a G34; I’ll keep chugging along with the G19 but def keep it if I do get another gun.

User Tag List