Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: The "should I keep or sell this gun?" thread

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Well, I do kinda miss the FS2000.
    I'm a total sap for 'space guns' and the FS2000 with the integrated optic is by far my greatest lust in that regard. The triggers are extra-meh and the manual of arms is weird, and there's basically zero aftermarket, but I still lust for one.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    A G34 MOS costs the same as what ? a pair of windshield wipers and 3 spare lug nuts on a Porsche ?...
    Porsches, like most German cars, suffer from a specifically nonsensical Germanic evil known as 'wheel bolts'. Yes, bolts.

Which makes even less sense than why @RJ doesn't already have a G34.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by EricM View Post
    A decade ago, I bought into the SCAR platform for the same reasons I initially bought HKs and Sigs instead of Glocks...without real-world experience, I researched things extensively and bought what I thought was "the best" rather than what everyone else was using. Nowadays I own a bunch of Glocks, and would also choose the AR platform if I was starting over. Things I really like about the SCAR such as the ambidextrous mag release and short-throw safety are now common on ARs, modern AR handguards are superior to anything that could ever be made for the SCAR, and I expect an AR to be lighter, softer shooting, and more accurate.

Between not shooting much recently and having other financial priorities, I haven't really been in a position to think about buying another rifle. But with all the political uncertainty and the current market for selling guns, I'm thinking maybe I should consider selling the SCAR and buying an AR or two while I still can. I never figured I'd part with the SCAR but that was mostly because it's seen quite a few rounds and I didn't think I'd get much for it...but given the opportunity to sell for a good price, I can't really think of a very good reason to keep it. ARs get banned but SCARs stay legal? Unlikely. Something different to pull out of the safe every now and then to shoot for fun? I'd probably get more enjoyment out of a lever action or bolt action rifle if I just wanted something different.

What says the forum? Keep a proven rifle I know well or seize the opportunity to make the switch?
    At this point in time, I wouldn’t make any major platform changes. I think there will always be demand for semi-exotic guns like the SCAR and the relative value will remain fairly constant during market fluctuations. The next few weeks might bring us the most widespread civilian use of rifles since 1775, I would rather have a trusted rifle than a new unvetted rifle even if the new has a nicer hanguard and is capable of 1/2 moa better accuracy. After things settle down after the election, you can still sell the SCAR for what a premium AR will cost. I realize money is often an issue but I would buy an AR and spend some time with it to make sure you really like it better before selling the SCAR.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    At this point in time, I wouldn’t make any major platform changes. I think there will always be demand for semi-exotic guns like the SCAR and the relative value will remain fairly constant during market fluctuations. The next few weeks might bring us the most widespread civilian use of rifles since 1775, I would rather have a trusted rifle than a new unvetted rifle even if the new has a nicer hanguard and is capable of 1/2 moa better accuracy. After things settle down after the election, you can still sell the SCAR for what a premium AR will cost. I realize money is often an issue but I would buy an AR and spend some time with it to make sure you really like it better before selling the SCAR.
    You should be getting ready for freedom week II.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    High end and stuff that was never common is still going for silly money. Someone bit on my ridiculous buy-it-now for a pistol recently, and I saw a gun that I passed on new at $1100 in January go for $2k a couple days ago. I would put that SCAR on GB in a heartbeat.
    This, there’s not a non zero chance that it won’t be legal to buy or sell any semi auto rifle to anybody but the government will by next summer. I’d move to a platform that is more widely supported during the lull as long as you’re sure you can replace your rifle.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    You should be getting ready for freedom week II.
    I am! It will be my immense pleasure to put that long flash hider back on my M14NM and get rid of that awful corncob - not to mention pistol grips on my AKs and real mag releases on my ARs. All parts are standing by!

That said while hopeful, I’m not too hopeful.

We will see.........

I have several HK45s, HK45Ts and a couple of P30Ls that I may sell. (I like my USP45s better.)

Any idea on demand/price ?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by EricM View Post
    A decade ago, I bought into the SCAR platform for the same reasons I initially bought HKs and Sigs instead of Glocks...without real-world experience, I researched things extensively and bought what I thought was "the best" rather than what everyone else was using. Nowadays I own a bunch of Glocks, and would also choose the AR platform if I was starting over. Things I really like about the SCAR such as the ambidextrous mag release and short-throw safety are now common on ARs, modern AR handguards are superior to anything that could ever be made for the SCAR, and I expect an AR to be lighter, softer shooting, and more accurate.

Between not shooting much recently and having other financial priorities, I haven't really been in a position to think about buying another rifle. But with all the political uncertainty and the current market for selling guns, I'm thinking maybe I should consider selling the SCAR and buying an AR or two while I still can. I never figured I'd part with the SCAR but that was mostly because it's seen quite a few rounds and I didn't think I'd get much for it...but given the opportunity to sell for a good price, I can't really think of a very good reason to keep it. ARs get banned but SCARs stay legal? Unlikely. Something different to pull out of the safe every now and then to shoot for fun? I'd probably get more enjoyment out of a lever action or bolt action rifle if I just wanted something different.

What says the forum? Keep a proven rifle I know well or seize the opportunity to make the switch?
    Keep it.

I've been shooting AR's since 1984. So I can pretty much run one at the unconscious competence level. For me a SCAR might not be a good choice.

But starting from scratch ? There is nothing wrong with a SCAR, it is a reliable and accurate rifle. The mil. dropped the SCAR-L because the juice wasn't worth the squeeze vs upgraded ARs but there is nothing about it that will get you "kilt in da streetz." As Kyle Defoor said about training .mil guys issued ACOGs "An ACOG might not be my first choice, but if you put the work in, I can make you pretty deadly with an ACOG."

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Currently using an early 2017 Glock 19 Gen 5 for USPSA. I suck at shooting Production. G19 is stock except for tungsten guide rod, brass thug plug, extended OEM mag release, and sights.

Pondering purchase of a Gen 5 MOS Glock 34 to use in competition. Primary benefit I see is the longer sight radius of the G34 being more forgiving. I don't currently plan to buy a dot, I am in Production and would continue to use irons, but I like all the other Gen 5 features that buying a Gen 5 G34 makes sense to me. And I'll be honest four years shooting the G19 I just wanna buy a 34.

Should I keep the Glock 19 or trade it towards the G34?

I have a G48 that I use for EDC, and a Ruger LCR .38 for a BUG/Dog walking/Netflix gun. Either the LCR or the G48 is my bedside gun, paired with a light. I'm not sure I'd have a use for the G19 if I get a G34 for competition, but Dunning and Kruger are close friends of mine, so I don't know what I don't know, hence the question. TIA.
    A few things in no particular order.

Keep the 19. It’s paid for, you trust it, and it doesn’t cost anything to have it around.

I shot a lot of IDPA and other matches with compact guns. The best thing that ever happened to my shooting is buying a full-size gun and learning how to run it hard.

Have you shot a 34 at speed? How about a 17? I personally like 34’s but not everyone does.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post

Have you shot a 34 at speed? How about a 17? I personally like 34’s but not everyone does.
    Uh, no. . My LGS has a rental G4 G34 though. I rented it and shot it briefly (a box of 50) on the store’s square range. I should probably try it again.

Site Supporter
    To my great delight, the cashier's check for my Sig 516 arrived today, and I mobile deposited it into my checking account right away. This is very good news since I've already spent the money on other guns. Currently I have no regrets selling the 516 or the Beretta CX4. I bought two Giessele Super Duty LE rifles as replacements. The LE line is Giessele's budget line, but I had to pay a bit of a Gunbroker premium. However, I made money on the two guns I sold, so I figure that puts me at about even financially. I might have come out a little bit ahead, but that money was quickly lost to Surefire.

User Tag List