Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The "should I keep or sell this gun?" thread

Site Supporter

The "should I keep or sell this gun?" thread

I've been thinking of what I can sell to profit from this panic, and I thought I'd start a thread where anyone who is thinking of selling something can get feedback from the rest of us.

I have a Beretta CX4 9mm that I bought new in early 2013 and converted to accept M92 mags. The gun has been fired a total of 464 times, and I haven't taken it to the range since March 11, 2017. A few days ago, I checked the prices of CX4s on Gunbroker and was amazed at what they are selling for. I can't think of any reason not to sell the CX4 and put that money toward one of the new roller-delayed Stribogs with a brace or any of several other guns that are on my "to buy" list. Admittedly the Stribogs are still new, so that is one down side, I guess. If anyone can think of a compelling reason for me to keep the CX4, I'd appreciate hearing their thoughts.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I've said before that anything you're not committed to long-term should be sold during this opportunity.

Unless it's what I'm trying to sell, in which case you should wait until I've sold mine.

I'm also doing a little gunbitrage to turn something I have into a better version of itself.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Name:  92D4A048-2CB8-46E8-9BAB-34B6DDE40328.jpg
Views: 1181
Size:  53.4 KB

I have been doing a bit of "gun arbitrage". I noted that lower priced stuff is in high demand while higher priced items are not moving. I also noted that self-defense guns are hot while competition and target items are not. So I have taken the opportunity to move upmarket. I have added two SVI pistols and one Wilson EDC X9 to my safe, entirely funding the purchases with sales of Remington 870P shotguns and factory (Colt and SA) 1911, Arex, Beretta, Glock, Grand Power, and S&W 3rd Generation pistols. Everything I have sold I can replace, likely at lower prices than the items just brought, should I care to do so once the epidemic/pandemic ends.

I also put a Ruger Bisley Stainless Single-Six on layaway as I still have a "riot gun" Browning Auto-5 on consignment. I just cannot resist a good .22.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I don't think there is a single gun I have ever gotten rid of that I haven't wished at multiple times I still had.

There are a few that I sold to allow me to purchase a gun I wanted more, and that consoles me to some degree but I still wish I had a "Gun Safe of Holding" and a larger budget.

So my rule - unless you are buying guns for speculative purposes (which I'm not into due to many pitfalls), unless selling the gun will allow you to upgrade your collection then DON'T DO IT!!!

My other rule - NEVER, AND I MEAN NEVER sell a gun for a chick!*

* That can be because she thinks you have to many, or you sell your gun to buy her something you think she will like, or whatever stupid reason comes along.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    My other rule - NEVER, AND I MEAN NEVER sell a gun for a chick!
    Name:  intro.jpg
Views: 912
Size:  80.5 KB
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I'm trying to standardize on 9mm Glocks for handguns, so I already sold two S&Ws (an M&P and a Shield) and an FN FNS. I sold those to a friend so I gave him a fair price.

I have been considering selling my Kimber, but it's the only 1911 I have, and despite Kimber's negative reputation, it has worked flawlessly for me. I also have a Ruger PC9 I've long thought about selling. It's a nice gun, but I just never shoot it that often.

I've been mulling over selling off some things, mainly due to wanting to consolidate on caliber stocking. The problem is that the only things I have left in off-chamberings is heartthrobs like SA wheelies in .44spec and .45LC, and I like that stuff, even if keeping ammo around is an expense.

What to do, what to do.

I am the only shooter in my immediate neighborhood. Several of them have asked me where they might purchase a pistol for self defense. Every single one of them considers a $500 pistol a "high end" gun.

I haven't been much help.

Got a 19X and 43X that I am tempted to sell off for some cash... The 2011s and Berettas are going to take over...

User Tag List