Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Gen 5 GLOCK in .40SW

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    That is an excellent reason to buy a pistol! A lot of mine found their way to my safe via the curiosity route. 22.5 is on my list, but I'm not sure how high on the list. I have some mags left over from my 22.3, which in retrospect, was not interesting enough to warrant its purchase.
    True. Curiosity and impulse have put a lot of guns in my hands. Thought I was past that but it’s honestly a good a reason as any. My gun needs were fulfilled in 2003 when I bought a 9mm P226. There are probably a hundred substitutes for that 226 that would equal the same result. My personal gun history could have ended there, full stop. 357 SIG should be fun through these.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Cereal View Post
    No doubt. However, I foresee that decision tanking the sales of these guns. People have this weird obsession with Glock comparability with everything and the fact these will require their own holsters will probably be off-putting to some folks. Not to mention holster makers need the molds for them. The “does it take Glock mags” joke is funny because it’s basically true- people want everything to take Glock mags.
    I dunno. I don’t expect my G21 to fit G17 holsters.

If I was an organzation concerned with holster compatability and cost savings for hundreds or more members, I might be more concerned about Gen5 G22 holster compatibilty with other full-size Glocks. As an individual, I'm just not. Sure, it would be nice if it fit in the holsters I currently have, but sine I usually prefer to have an individual holster for an individual weapon, it's just not that big of a deal, or that much of an expense.

Additionally, I think that the ship has pretty much sailed for increased, or even continued organizational .40 use, as due to better cartridge technology leading to significant performance increases (and decreased comparative cost, and less drama with recoil management and muzzle flip) 9mm has assumed the organizational throne.

Personally, I like and have a niche for .40. I'm glad that I have some excellent platforms for it during the national-wide ammunition shortage, where (again) .40 is the cartridge that seems to be reasonably available at semi-reasonable prices. I can see myself getting a Gen5 G22, and then pretty much relegating my current Gen4 G22 to use with its .357 SIG barrel.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    I dunno. I don’t expect my G21 to fit G17 holsters.
    I don’t think that is a fair comparison. The Glock 21/20 are dimensionally different in all aspects. The 9/40/357 family of pistols aren’t. Agencies and people that already use a 22/23/31/32 etc. will likely be frustrated by the lack of holster comparability. Remember the frustration over Gen4 connectors and Gen5 sights. People might get over it, but with the waning popularity of .40 to begin with, it might be enough to somewhat sink the offerings.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Additionally, I think that the ship has pretty much sailed for increased, or even continued organizational .40 use, as due to better cartridge technology leading to significant performance increases (and decreased comparative cost, and less drama with recoil management and muzzle flip) 9mm has assumed the organizational throne...
    Which is a shame. The .40 is a good cartridge. When I shoot full power duty loads in both calibers (124 HST vs 165 HST) I notice a difference, but not anything appreciable for me.

Played with a G5 23 at LGS my first thought was how would it shoot with a 9mm barrel. It would still be lighter than most duty sized 9's and shoot softer than a 19.

Before 2020 stores in my area would not take a 40 on trade as their cases were full.....they are all sold now but I wonder in a couple years if it will be the same.

I was close to buying a used P30 for $350 as 40 ammo was only $20-40 more a case than 9 back then.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    For individual purchasers, sure. For large agency purchases, I’d be surprised is Glock doesn’t offer to replace the holsters being traded in along with the guns.
    Never happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Played with a G5 23 at LGS my first thought was how would it shoot with a 9mm barrel. It would still be lighter than most duty sized 9's and shoot softer than a 19.
    This is an interesting question. Generally less slide mass is considered a good thing, but more weight can also be a good thing. Would like to check a .40 out with a 9mm barrel.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    For individual purchasers, sure. For large agency purchases, I’d be surprised is Glock doesn’t offer to replace the holsters being traded in along with the guns.
    Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    Never happen.
    It has happened back in the day, so it depends. I know an agency that was offered straight out, gear for gear (guns holsters mags) for Glock 22s, 27s for detectives.

Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    Never happen.
    Happened at my agency about 4 years ago.

If you're an agency that is committed to remaining in .40, especially if you're converting to Glock from another manufacturer, it's a good time to talk to your regional LE rep about the gen5 G22/23/27.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

User Tag List