Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Model 15: This is Nuts!

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I know! I bought a Model 14 that’s about as nice as that Model 15 for a hell of a lot less.
    Getting fewer and further between.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Ain't nothing cheap anymore these days........

Site Supporter
    My 15-4 is nice, but it isn’t quite that nice. Didn’t pay nearly that much for it, either.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I know! I bought a Model 14 that’s about as nice as that Model 15 for a hell of a lot less.
    Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Getting fewer and further between.
    Why I bid on it. I've wanted a 14 for awhile. now.

I'd like a Model 28, but not at those prices. My 686 will do just fine.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Why I bid on it. I've wanted a 14 for awhile. now.

I'd like a Model 28, but not at those prices. My 686 will do just fine.
    Had a 14, sold it before I really came to appreciate it. I wanted to do the single action only conversion but never found a kit I could afford and IIRC that's part of why I sent it down the road. I've got my eye on one now that's already been converted, just can't quite talk myself into turning loose the funds yet.

Local guy has a 15-4 on consignment in his shop, $600. And that's with rubbers, not the factory stocks. And it's either nickeled or they've got it labeled wrong. Same thing, I just can't talk myself into it yet.

I've been eyeing 4" 28s. At the prices being asked for the condition, I'll continue to eye them. I found a tag in the bottom of my safe recently, "M28 $339". Best guess is it was from one I had 2004-2007 range and I thought I was overpaying then. No, I don't have it anymore...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

This thread helps me appreciate my 1978-vintage stainless Security Six which I EDC'd yesterday. I think I paid $500 or so for it when I got it pre-owned.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Local guy has a 15-4 on consignment in his shop, $600. And that's with rubbers, not the factory stocks. And it's either nickeled or they've got it labeled wrong. Same thing, I just can't talk myself into it yet.
    So I went hands on with this one today. 1980-81 vintage 4” 15-4 (93K prefix), factory nickel in pretty good shape, Goodyears in place of factory stocks (or do we call them BFGs since Goodyear stepped on their dingus?), $600 OTD.

I didn’t ask about a box and no information was offered so I’m going to say there’s not one.

It’s nice but not $600 nice (IMO) and it lacks that certain something to make me want it bad enough. Leaving panic buying out of the equation, am I officially out of touch on pricing now or is the price on this one wishful thinking?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    It’s nice but not $600 nice (IMO) and it lacks that certain something to make me want it bad enough. Leaving panic buying out of the equation, am I officially out of touch on pricing now or is the price on this one wishful thinking?
    My opinion is worth what you paid for it, but my observations are that pre-lock S&W wheelguns almost never sell for what everyone on the internet says they do, and in my searches are usually a few hundred dollars more expensive than people say they should be priced at.

$600 doesn't strike me as an oddly high price unless it's well worn.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I don't think $600 is out of line for that one. The stocks are more of a consideration when you get to collector guns where people are looking for matched numbered, etc. with original box, etc. I think the market assumption is that if you don't like the grips on the gun is it the easiest thing to change, and except for those collector considerations it is probably not a factor in pricing the gun like finish and mechanical condition are.

I acquired both of these in late 2018-early 2019, both in the approximate $500 range... keep in mind that California prices are probably on average a bit above what is typical at a national level. The 14-3 is really clean, almost like new and I was surprised to get it locally at that price, the 15-4 has a bit of holster wear on the front sight and leading edge of the barrel but is otherwise in EX condition; it came with rubber and I put the Ahrend's on it. That one I found over lunch hour on a Sacramento business trip.

I expect that right now almost anything is going to sell at a premium, I didn't even bother to look at the Model 28 that hit one of the LGS last week and another place just sold a nickel 19-3 within hours of it coming in for more than I would have been willing to pay, since I already have one.

Name:  IMG_3342.JPG
Views: 213
Size:  96.4 KB

User Tag List