Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Former DPS trooper, current FBI agent indicted in 2018 shooting

This is why Presidential and Gubernatorial pardons need to exist with very, very few limitations.
    The pardon is a check against blatant miscarriages of justice.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    At some point, America is going to get what it's asking for. And it will be too late to put the genie back in the bottle.
    Good and hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    Certainly the FOP and similar have a big stake in exposing and somehow countering the selection and behavior of people who are re-investigating old cases in aid of virtue signalling, anti-discrimination or other political (vs. substantial) reasons.

But it is just as much if not more a question for "the people" to understand and choose who will represent them and how.

National politics gets the lions share of the media and other attention, but state and local politics more directly affect how people live, including what services are available and how they are delivered.

In the U.S. District Attorneys and other officials are elected, so those who care to inform themselves can make their views known; on the other hand the selection of these officials can be influenced by whomever wants to do so via PACs and similar. To get a good result requires considerable effort to find, fund and support the right people, something that is not easy, fun or cheap to do.

Here in Canada the (somewhat similar) Crown prosecutors are appointed by and are accountable to the Ministry of the Solicitor General; no voice or choice for Joe Citizen, but on the other hand maybe a bit harder for George and friends to stick their nose into who is appointed.
    Not all states have elected DA's and that's the way it should be in my opinion. Alaska, Connecticut and New Jersey do not.

While several of the metro-Atlanta counties are large enough to be their own judicial circuit for Superior Court, most of the counties in GA are part of multi-county judicial circuits. The county where I work is part of a two county circuit. Unfortunately, the other county outnumbers us 3-1 and has radically different politics. Whoever wins that county wins the circuit wide races.

We are facing the very real possibility of getting a very left wing entertainment lawyer as our next DA.

GA did change its law recently so that a DA must bring an indictment within one year of the incident if it involves LE. Previously, an officer who was the subject of the indictment could be present in the grand jury room, hear all of the evidence, and then make an uncontested statement at the end of the presentation. Now, the officer can no longer be present, and they are subject to cross examination. The court must produce a transcript of all testimony.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Site Supporter
    Does straight ticket voting contribute to electing these types of far left prosecutors? If so, many who pull that one handle are not examining candidates. I'm guilty of that and have helped elect a few idiots. Of course, I endorse universal suffrage but sometimes wonder where it will take us. I fear change that I know is coming. Many will welcome it. Eventually nobody will know the difference. The forum has gun owners who voted for Hillary and will happily embrace Biden and Harris. People have different assumptions and operate in vastly different ways. They draw dissimilar conclusions when viewing the same data. One thing that means is that large numbers of interest groups compete for limited resources. At school and in my city job, I observed a loud beating of drums that our diversity is our strength. Once I asked this question. I asked how might diversity be a restraining force in achieving goals? It was an honest question. I got 5 ass chewings. Then I asked permission to express myself and not be written up for insubordination, and received it. I told my supervisor that he was full of shit because his party line did not allow certain questions. I retired a few months later. Years before I had a nervous sociology teacher who had had several nervous breakdowns. I asked one question that put him back into the state lunatic hospital for the insane.

This is literally war on cops.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    This is literally war on cops.
    It appears to have been orchestrated. The momentum is too great and too many things have dovetailed to work in concert for the war to be coincidental. Questioning or commenting differently about systemic racism brings about the same type responses as would questioning the New Testament's account of Jesus and the Resurrection in a 1950's Primitive Baptist Church meeting.

I've tried to resist commenting, but in the MA case, a SWAT officer fatally NDed into a prone, complying, non-suspect. His safety was off and his finger pulled the trigger. He rode a desk for a while but it was largely glossed over because the officer was an otherwise good guy in a small town, where being a good dude carries more weight than a dead citizen.

I'm not outraged it gets a second look. I don't know if the other cases are similar but small town New England is not exactly accountability central.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post
    I've tried to resist commenting, but in the MA case, a SWAT officer fatally NDed into a prone, complying, non-suspect. His safety was off and his finger pulled the trigger. He rode a desk for a while but it was largely glossed over because the officer was an otherwise good guy in a small town, where being a good dude carries more weight than a dead citizen.

I'm not outraged it gets a second look. I don't know if the other cases are similar but small town New England is not exactly accountability central.
    Sadly, I reference that case - Stamps v. Town of Framingham - every time I teach an AR class.

FWIW, the judges concluded that his finger was on the trigger. I still strongly suspect that the trigger caught on his SWAT kit.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

The suspect "rammed" the car then ran on foot and was shot in the back.

Was the officer injured in the ramming, was the suspect armed? Was the suspect a threat to to others as he was running away?

I would like to hear more about the case.

I don't suspect this would be condoned in my area of operation so perhaps there is more to it.
    A71593

User Tag List