Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Former DPS trooper, current FBI agent indicted in 2018 shooting

Site Supporter

Former DPS trooper, current FBI agent indicted in 2018 shooting

Former DPS trooper, current FBI agent indicted in 2018 suspect shooting

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/aust...WGiJN7td1l4920

AUSTIN (KXAN) — A former Texas Department of Public Safety trooper and current Federal Agent, who two years ago was cleared of wrongdoing by several agencies after he shot a suspect after the suspect rammed his car during a pursuit, has been indicted by a grand jury for the incident, attorneys say.

Travis County District Attorney Margaret Moore brought the case against Austin Johnston in front of a grand jury over his use of force in the incident. KXAN reached out to her office for comment, but the office said it couldn’t comment.

According to an arrest affidavit regarding the incident Sept. 8. 2018, Johnston tried to pull over a stolen care driven by Dustin Dougherty on North Lamar Boulevard. After Dougherty sped away, Johnston pursued, the affidavit says. Shortly after fleeing, Dougherty stopped his car in the middle of the street, put it in reverse and rammed Johnston’s patrol vehicle, the affidavit says.

After his vehicle was hit, Johnston fired his gun at Dougherty as Dougherty ran away. Johnston hit Dougherty in the back with a shot, and Dougherty was found hiding later. Dougherty was treated at a hospital and then released into custody, the affidavit says.

Dougherty pleaded guilty to aggravated assault against a public servant with a deadly weapon, a first-degree felony, and was sentenced to six years in prison, court records show. Moore prosecuted the case.

“Trooper Johnston’s actions were investigated by DPS and the Texas Rangers, found to be lawful and consistent with policy, and he was returned to full duty within 3 days,” Johnston’s attorneys, Doug O’Connell and Ken Ervin, said in a press release Friday.

“Johnston has since become an Federal Agent. The FBI was made aware of the incident with Dougherty, conducted their own investigation prior to Johnston’s appointment as a Federal Agent, and agreed with the Texas Rangers that Johnston’s actions were appropriate. The FBI had no issue with Johnston’s actions despite the fact that a grand jury review of the shooting was still possible,” the attorneys said.
    This is just one example of a National trend among left wing / Soros funded DAs going back and re-opening closed / justified police shootings.

I’ve mentioned before that while conservatives make fools of themselves with conspiracy theories about Soros funding ANTIFA, he has, in fact been funding leftist DA candidates. The refusal of the Portland DA to prosecute any riot related cases and this national wave of “re-investigation” of settled police shooting cases demonstrates why.

prosecutors reooening police shootings

WATCH: Midcoast Legislator, District Attorney pursue reopening 13-year-old police shooting case

https://www.penbaypilot.com/article/...e-shoot/135004

St. Louis County prosecutor reopened Michael Brown shooting case but won't charge Darren Wilson

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.stl...dd20e.amp.html

Massachusetts Prosecutor To Review 2011 Probe Into Shooting Of Black Man By Police

https://www.npr.org/sections/live-up...ck-man-by-poli

Maine lawmaker, prosecutor urge reopening of 2007 police shooting
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/wgme.co...olice-shooting

Maine DA to defy attorney general to charge officer in death

https://www.wabi.tv/content/news/Mai...571083881.html

BLM Leader Wants Bexar County DA to Reopen Cases of Police Killings

https://sanantonioreport.org/blm-lea...lice-killings/
    Last edited by HCM; 08-22-2020 at 03:03 PM.

Site Supporter
    A friend who is a retired attorney explained current events to me. I asked how could all these happenings have come about. He said that once we had the left and the far left. Now we have beyond the far left.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    A friend who is a retired attorney explained current events to me. I asked how could all these happenings have come about. He said that once we had the left and the far left. Now we have beyond the far left.
    Pretty soon we'll have "nothing left".
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    I hope the Arizona Attorney General looks into that shooting the Earp brothers had in Tombstone. That investigation didn't go the way I thought it should.😒

I agree with HCM on Soros funding left-wing prosecutors. There needs to be pushback by FOP's and other police organizations as well as Republicans and moderates generally during the next elections. There isn't much interest in courthouse races here as other elections and a relatively small number of voters can turn an election.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post
    IThere isn't much interest in courthouse races here as other elections and a relatively small number of voters can turn an election.
    Bingo.

DAs are the gate keepers to the criminal justice system. It’s a choke point which provides the best bang for their buck at the local level.

The leftists aren’t stupid and we underestimate them at our peril.

Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post
    I hope the Arizona Attorney General looks into that shooting the Earp brothers had in Tombstone. That investigation didn't go the way I thought it should.😒
    While we're at it, how about Bonnie and Clyde?

Site Supporter
    This may have been said.....Opening up these cases will subject the officers to civil litigation that otherwise would not have arisen. It goes without saying that careers will be damaged. The FBI agent might as well pack his bags.

This may have been said.....Opening up these cases will subject the officers to civil litigation that otherwise would not have arisen. It goes without saying that careers will be damaged. The FBI agent might as well pack his bags.
    At some point, America is going to get what it's asking for. And it will be too late to put the genie back in the bottle.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

You can add one of my officers to that list. He was indicted by the Harris County DA, Kim Ogg, 2 years after he was exonerated by our Internal Affairs division and the case was also reviewed by the DA that later indicted him. Ogg was funded by Soros. He was later no billed by a grand jury, but he did have support from our union and the chief.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The lawsuits are going to keep coming as they have been. Getting cleared by your local prosecutor and agency has not been a bar to being sued for years. There are time frames for both the state and federal levels within which suits have to be filed. Re-opening these isn't likely to impact lawsuits. However, doing so is very likely to have other adverse effects - emotionally, psychologically on the involved officers, their families, co-workers.

User Tag List