Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: broken front sight ramp on S&W

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Better than slathering on some JB Weld....
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Is it wrong that was my first thought?
    Mine, too. What’s the worst that could happen? The only other option, which seem to be to replace the barrel.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Is it wrong that was my first thought?

I'm from Appalachia...
    I have to admit.

I'm from the Appalachian Foothills.

A “here, hold my beer and watch this” idea. Why not pull the blade and drill/tap in the slot for a setscrew through the crack? It might be enough to stabilize it and would be hidden by the blade.

Like this...

Name:  0E6A24F0-49FB-4F76-B1A3-286972440E63.jpeg
Views: 176
Size:  30.2 KB
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

It would likely be less expensive just to unscrew the barrel and screw a new (or used) one on in its place.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    It would likely be less expensive just to unscrew the barrel and screw a new (or used) one on in its place.
    Finding a spare barrel is probably the ideal, but that may take some time to find.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Yep, I would make a phone call to the factory and see what they have available, and what it would cost to have them do a swap.

If its truly hairline, I would just keep on keeping on with it.

Maybe keep an eye on GB for a 629MG parts kit. If GB still offers it, set up an email with certain tags in it so you get an alert.

Thanks! Good idea! Will talk to a gunsmith and watch gunbroker

I’m not a metallurgist, nor a machinist, but that crack is moving forward, not downward. Take it to a machine shop, and ask them what they think. I suppose a gunsmith’s opinion would be just as valuable, as long as you find a REAL gunsmith.

Micro tig or laser

Quote Originally Posted by overton View Post
    Thanks for your input! But what concerns me is not the front sight itself, but there seems to be a fissure/hairline crack/fracture
    in the base. I guess that is very hard to repair as any welding operation will induce heat to the barrel.
    I run a small welding shop and I'd fix that in 20 minutes start to finish. Take it to a skilled tig welder..low heat on pulse with .020 dia tungsten, a little pre and postflow on the argon..could heat paste inside and around the area but probably wouldn't be necessary. I'd groove out the crack with a tungsten carbide burr like at the dentist and fill up the groove with 308. After welding a little touch up with a stone and scotchbrite for a nice brushed finish on the lug. Took almost as much time typing as the whole job. If your really desperate p.m. me I'm in Michigan and you could ship it to a local FFL that I weld for occasionally.

User Tag List