Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: broken front sight ramp on S&W

Replace barrel or mill off the current front sight and replace with a custom front.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

How the devil did that happen? It looks like someone failed to heed those wise words of A Man's GOT to know his limitations...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

It would not be pretty, but that crack could be drilled to stop it from propagating. Since the crack is well above the bore, drilling is feasible. If looks are a concern, the entire sight base could be milled away and a new sight base soldered onto the barrel. That would be pricey.

For a $330 gun, I would leave it alone as the sight base is fundamentally not stressed. Of course, that raises the question of why it cracked. And the only thing that makes sense is prior owner abuse. I would be checking the bore with a borescope to insure there were no other shenanigans, such as a squib load driven from the barrel with another round.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Ill give ya $400
    four fiddy
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

What does the other side look like. I'd probably just shoot it and see what happens. You might drive out the pin, remove the sight blade and see what it looks like inside the sight slot.

I'd guess some one hit it with a hammer when there was no sight blade in position.

Site Supporter
    Have you taken it to a good gunsmith? I’m curious what it looks like with the front sight removed and the right side of the base. My first thought was to drill it to prevent it getting worse but cutting an oversized dovetail with a custom dovetailed front sight might look the best for the money.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    Have you taken it to a good gunsmith? I’m curious what it looks like with the front sight removed and the right side of the base. My first thought was to drill it to prevent it getting worse but cutting an oversized dovetail with a custom dovetailed front sight might look the best for the money.
    Better than slathering on some JB Weld....
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Better than slathering on some JB Weld....
    Is it wrong that was my first thought?

I'm from Appalachia...
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    Will do. I have never seen this kind of damage in a S&W revolver, but I guess the previous owner hammered the front sight blade in.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    It would not be pretty, but that crack could be drilled to stop it from propagating. Since the crack is well above the bore, drilling is feasible. If looks are a concern, the entire sight base could be milled away and a new sight base soldered onto the barrel. That would be pricey.
    If they'll do it at all.

I know one guy that asked I think it was Jack Weigand directly about getting his interchangeable front sight base installed on a mountain revolver. Work was declined and the stated reason: not enough metal to work with.

Them barrels be skinny.

For a $330 gun,
    Even with a cracked front sight a 629 MR is probably a bit better than a $330 gun. Lacking any other shenanigans, as you said, I think he could easily double his money on gunbroker.

User Tag List