Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Intriguing question

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    This also doesn't count the rounds expended at / by FLETC (Federal Law Enforcement Training Center) which is also part of DHS and trains all federal LE other than FBI and DEA.
    Point of order, the US Postal Inspection Service, has its own academy, in Potomac, MD, and Army CID has its own academy at Fort Leonard Wood, MO, instead of sending their.folks a DHS/FLETC training academy.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    Point of order, the US Postal Inspection Service, has its own academy, in Potomac, MD, and Army CID has its own academy at Fort Leonard Wood, MO, instead of sending their.folks a DHS/FLETC training academy.
    It’s been a few years but Postal Inspectors were going to FLETC for basic criminal investigator (1811) school and then on to their own school - like USSS and others. DOD police and PFPA go to FLETC as do NCIS and AFOSI - least for basic criminal investigator school and some in service.

I don’t know if it’s only the AFOSI agents or if the active duty folks go through FLETC too. My experience with the AFOSI and army CID active duty folks in mixed instructor classes was they didn’t seem to “get” domestic /CONUS UOF law vs OCONUS ROE. Never such issues with the civilian agents, to the point I’m not sure the army running their own CID academy is a good thing.

DOD is its own thing but the reason civilian agencies stick with (or are stuck with) FLETC is they can’t beat the cost. spending significantly more tax dollars to have their own academy for basic LE training “just because” doesn’t fly with Congress, OIGs etc. hence the two step model of FLETC basic then an agency specific school like Beltsville, Atlantic City, or where ever the DSS people go in WV.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Oh Christ on a fucking cracker....
    I love that expression. Say it all the time. But now seeing it written out, I wonder...

I think Christ IS the cracker, not that he goes ON the cracker...
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    The government buys massive amounts of guns and ammo, for legitimate law enforcement purposes (training, practice, and duty use). I have personally had huge amounts of 9mm and 5.56 issued to me for training and practice at the range, and quite a bit of .38 Special and .40 S&W, too.

...tough cookies.

Are you TRYING to make the rest of us jealous?
    Name:  cb057ca861f64bcc89ef2f7ab1c0f996.jpeg
Views: 141
Size:  29.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    It’s been a few years but Postal Inspectors were going to FLETC for basic criminal investigator (1811) school and then on to their own school . . .
    You may be confusing Special Agents from the US Postal Service, Office of the Inspector General, Office of Investigations, with the US Postal Inspectors. They are two separate agencies. Postal OIG Special Agents attend the Criminal Investigator Training Program (CITP), and the IG Academy, which are FLETC programs. US Postal Inspectors do not attend CITP, they go to their own 16 week Academy, known as the Basic Inspector Training, which is not a FLETC program, and it is in Potomac, MD. Just like DEA and FBI Special Agents, Postal Inspectors can earn their badge and credentials, and get to work, without any use of a FLETC program.
    DOD police and PFPA go to FLETC as do NCIS and AFOSI - least for basic criminal investigator school and some in service.

I don’t know if it’s only the AFOSI agents or if the active duty folks go through FLETC too.
    I'm not sure what your point there is, since I mentioned Army CID having their own academy for their Special Agents, at Ft. Leonard Wood, MO, rather than attending CITP at FLETC, and didn't say anything about DoD Police, AFOSI, or NCIS.

However, your statement about AFOSI is very confusing to me, because I was an AFOSI Special Agent for a few years, and still have friends/acquaintances at that agency. You are drawing some weird, and nonexistent, distinction between "Special Agents" and "active duty folks." Air Force OSI has "Special Agents." Among them are 1) active duty personnel (both officers and enlisted personnel), 2) "civilians" who are GS-1811 Criminal Investigators, and 3) Air Force Reservists (both officers and enlisted. They all use the title "Special Agent," and all attend the same training academy to become Special Agents. Their badges and credentials all say "Special Agent." There is nothing that separates active duty personnel from the job of "Special Agent" with AFOSI.

Since it came up. OSI had their own stand alone academy at Bolling AFB or Andrews AFB (can'r remember which, as that was before my time), until AFOSI started sending agents through the FLETC CITP program in 2002. They then attend a follow on training course (not sure what title they're using now, but it used to be the Basic Special Investigations Cource (BSIC)), which is an Air Force school, done on FLETC property.

. . . I’m not sure the army running their own CID academy is a good thing.
    Your opinions aside,the fact is that like DEA and FBI Special Agents, and US Postal Inspectors, Army CID agents can get their badge and credentials and get to work, without ever attending a FLETC program.

US Postal Inspectors, or Army CID SAs, might participate in some programs at FLETC later in their careers, but don't need to, and the same has been true of DEA and FBI Special Agents. However, it's quite possible to be a Postal Inspector, Army CID SA, FBI SA, or DEA SA, and never set foot on FLETC property, or attend/teach any FLETC run program. Therefore, it's incorrect to say DHS/FLETC, "trains all federal LE other than FBI and DEA."
    Last edited by DMF13; 08-25-2020 at 07:51 AM.

Site Supporter
    The VA Police also runs its own training academy in AR instead of using UPTP (but VA OIG 1811s go to CITP).

Sending everyone to FLETC would probably be cost effective, but some agencies like to do their own thing. Some FLETC + follow-on agencies are also better than others at not having huge redundancies (or, worse, contradictions) between the FLETC program and their follow-on course.

User Tag List