Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Central planning in action at Three Gorges Dam

Central planning in action at Three Gorges Dam

#RESIST

Either the link is bad, of the Great Firewall is quick today :-)

Doesn't look like sacrificing the excavator did any good, although I will defer a final opinion until more engineering experts chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Doesn't look like sacrificing the excavator did any good, although I will defer a final opinion until more engineering experts chime in.
    Maybe the second excavator sacrifice did the trick
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    It gave them a more definitive way to measure the flow rate.

"I don't know how much water is moving there, boss, but I'd say it's flowing at about 4 excavators per minute!"
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    It gave them a more definitive way to measure the flow rate.

"I don't know how much water is moving there, boss, but I'd say it's flowing at about 4 excavators per minute!"
    They build a lot of excavators in China. No big deal. Nothing they can do as there isn't anything heavy enough to slow it down. Even if they dumped enough 1 ton boulders in there it would just work it's way around the breach and open another one in about a minute.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    They build a lot of excavators in China. No big deal. Nothing they can do as there isn't anything heavy enough to slow it down. Even if they dumped enough 1 ton boulders in there it would just work it's way around the breach and open another one in about a minute.
    Yeah there's nothing they're going to do directly to that channel of flow with trackhoes that will stop it. The power flowing though there is insane.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Never stand to close to the hole or excavation!

I watched a sinkhole appear out of nowhere. The excavator almost fell in. Leaking sewer force main that was decades old formed a void. When they were removing some train tracks, two lanes gone in an instant.

Landslides and mudflows are unforgiving. The force generated is incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    Yeah there's nothing they're going to do directly to that channel of flow with trackhoes that will stop it. The power flowing though there is insane.
    Yep, once the levee has been breached, you’re options for are more or less limited to “well, I guess we’re waiting for the water to go down before we can fix it. Hope the evacuation team did its job”.

It’s been a while since I did flood and dam work, but about a decade ago USACE was testing some plastic inner-tube thingy that you could float into the breach long enough to fill the gap with something impermeable. Not sure how it worked out.

Like was said above, though, once you have one breach in an earth embankment, the resulting water level rise on the downstream side of the embankment will weaken the rest of it, and if you fix the one breach, it’ll most likely breach the next weakest point.

User Tag List