Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on porting

Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    You're talkin' to me, right? Take it easy, you see the part where I said "anecdotal"?

Nobody said anything about shooting a target without PIDing it. I use a light. Illuminate/move/shoot....you know, low-light 101? But fact is you can be in diminished light, and see well enough to know what you're shooting at, but it's still darkish. Ain't all black and white.

Some of us don't run black front sites.

Now, it would seem that ported guns aren't the upward-fire-breathing dragons some have made 'em out to be.
    Sorry. Personal attack not intended

“Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Lets be realistic. How often are most of us going to be in a gun fight? Now, what are the odds of having to shoot from retention in that situation? I've carried a 19C for several years and also compete in the local carry gun matches with it. Personally I find it to be a significant advantage over a non ported 19 so much so that I ported the 19X and G45 that I also carry at times.. Figures don't lie and the guys that complain about night blindness have never shot one at night.
    https://gundigest.com/article/ported...-reduce-recoil

Who did the porting?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I have no experience with comps or ported guns but I would think a good comp design would be the most efficient.

But I would think a design by the now defunct Weapons Armament Research would be effective as well.

https://weaponsarmamentresearch.com/...ner-wide-body/

Name:  8094B260-707A-4C79-90A3-C7751D315BF3.jpeg
Views: 525
Size:  29.0 KB

Just one observation in the porting vs. compensator discussion...

A KKM barrel/compensator drops right into a Glock 19 or 45, is compatible with (most) Glock 34 holsters, and is an entirely reversible addition to the pistol. The KKM barrel/comp is also desirable enough that if the experiment results in a pass, is easily resalable to those looking to try a 'Roland Special'.

Personally I'd give the comp a try before cutting holes in slides and barrels. Cheaper too.

(Not that ports aren't starting to attract my attention - I'm digging the G45 'C' posted above - I just wouldn't start there).
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    A few thoughts and questions.

1) if someone wanted a comp to attach to the threaded barrel on the Shadow MR920, which comp would be recommended and why?

2) if someone wanted to comp a Glock 43X, what comp would be recommended? Will the combo fit in a Glock 48 holster?

3) I see the 4.25 Core is available ported. If experience caused me to not like porting, could I add an OEM or Apex non ported barrel and carry on without issue?

4) how does the recoil reduction from a ported S&W M&P compare to a Glock in Roland configuration?

5) finally, if someone could post a picture of a hot chick shooting a ported Glock or S&W in ripped jeans, YVK would appreciate it.
    In regards to #2, the only G43X comp I have found that will fit in a DSG G48 holster with my Victory First barrel is the Suarez. (I have a spare if you want to try it) The ARC Sparc 43 is just a tad longer with the same VF barrel and does not fit. Agency barrels have quite a bit longer threads than VF barrels and leave a gap between comp and slide using the ARC or Suarez comp, and are not even close to fitting in a G48 holster. The ARC comp works better than the Suarez, so I have a DSG G48 Longboi on order.

In regards to #5, someone really needs to step up and help YVK out.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Oh just fucking stop it with the night blindness nonsense.
    Attachment 59131

Attachment 59132
    I can’t. Maybe I’m light sensitive? Seriously, no offense intended, have you ever cranked a round off in pitch darkness with a ported or comped pistol? My experience is that it’s a flash compressor and I have a bright orange spot overlay for a period of time afterwards. True fact. Maybe some of us are more light sensitive than others.

Site Supporter
    At one time I owned ported revolvers which had been been ported by the well known Magnaport company. I noticed that as barrel length increased, the effect of the treatment became more noticeable. Leverage exerted by the longer barrel seemed to bring the barrel down more. Also, high pressure cartridges like the magnums had more jet effect than did non magnums. Once I asked the Magnaport company to custom order a Bar Sto barrel for a 1950's Colt LW Commander in 38 Super. They ported it and fitted it to my pistol. The porting noticeably tamed muzzle rise. Here's what I say. If you want a ported pistol, then get one. Yes. Porting works. Will it save your life? I doubt it. Would I go this expense again. No. We tinker and play and learn.

Quote Originally Posted by medmo View Post
    I can’t. Maybe I’m light sensitive? Seriously, no offense intended, have you ever cranked a round off in pitch darkness with a ported or comped pistol? My experience is that it’s a flash compressor and I have a bright orange spot overlay for a period of time afterwards. True fact. Maybe some of us are more light sensitive than others.
    Yes. I have many times. On my range to gauge the effect, fired many rounds comped/ported etc in total darkness.

But - and without trying to wax poetical about general liability or tactics - why....outside of a private range scenario are we shooting things....in total darkness...with no light source for positive target ID?

Certainly we agree that our chance of civilian engagement is so low that any of this is minutia. The need for ports, the advantage flat shooting, Maybe even carrying a gun at all is so far into the fractions of a % that it’s just noise.

Even then so - the chance of civilian engagement where the hostiles number so greatly that we must eradicate anything that moves (even in total darkness) is practically non existent.

I was not blinded to any measurable degree after any of this:

Name:  0A2A9D6B-D18A-4DF9-8F1F-99061D950ADA.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  19.9 KB

Name:  DCC67A00-9E10-470B-B9AD-8CB3BE680395.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  21.6 KB
    Last edited by Duke; 08-24-2020 at 02:07 AM.

User Tag List