Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on porting

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Porting seems attractive
    I agree. I think that it is a sign of a humankind progress when people find a way to improve on things simply by making holes in them. Women's ripped jeans are by far the best example.

I'd be curious to see ballistic gel results out of a ported 4 inch 9 mm barrel that works well in split reduction. 4 inch is because it is the longest barrel I'd carry concealed these days. It is fairly accepted that porting reduces out of muzzle velocity but I don't know if that would be enough to affect terminal ballistic performance or not.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

I have a hard time telling the difference between my m66 and my buddies m19 comp. Im guessing we're just to slow to really notice a difference but Im guessing autos might be different.

My experience with ported pistols has mostly been with revolvers, notably the Weigand "Tame the Beast" .357 SP-101 and a S&W M686 Quadraport. The Weigand solution is more effective, essentially eliminating muzzle flip with 158-grain full-power ammo. I am faster on the timer and experience less fatigue versus a stock SP-101.

I have never had any issues with flash with quality jacketed ammo or debris from the ports causing issues, even shooting from retention. The latter was a concern. With lead (no jacket), there is some debris and the comp holes do collect some lead. I would suggest avoiding porting if one is shooting cast loads.

As far as reliability goes, I'll note that I'm on my second time around with a 'Roland Special' Glock with a KKM Barrel/Compensator (the first time was with a GEN4 G19 customized by ATEi; today is with a G45 MOS). I don't muck around with changing recoil springs. Trigger parts are all OEM. In my experience, they'll run just fine, but you need to use warmer ammunition. I've had 100% with Federal 147 grain loads. Softer 115 grain Federal or Blazer has caused some problems. With my GEN4 iteration I used to run a lot of 124gr and 124gr+P loads; these are quite reliable as well.

I don't find ammo selection for the comp'd Roland style guns any more difficult than say sticking with soft Federal primers to pair with my tuned Berettas with reduced power hammer springs.

You do need to keep an eye on the comp as after a thousand rounds the set screws might need to be tightened. Or maybe not. Inspect your gear.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Years ago I remember a borrowed 23c blasting crap back in my face. Maybe it was shitty ammo or just a bad barrel but that was the end of ported Glocks for me. Duke hasn’t reported any of that with his 2.0’s.

I don’t personally see the appeal with 9mm in a full-size gun. M&P’s and Glocks shoot pretty flat already.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

I really like the PMM Comp. Threads on with shims and rockset. It’s been on one of my 19x’s for probably 8-9k and zero issues so far.Name:  7D96A701-BB7C-4CDE-B9A3-5C99BFF1AB47.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  47.1 KB

Aaron Cowan seems to be running ported guns lately. I'm amused that Glock gets rid of the open top slide of the G34 and immediately people start cutting holes in them...

Though this video is more about the AOS optics system, some video of his Agency G34C at night at about the 5:45 mark. Doesn't look like a 10d6 fireball to me.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

I really suck at shooting glocks, and I'm not very good with the RMR either. But I'm about a week into this PMM comp and it's helping me see the dot through the recoil, so that's a huge plus for me. If this doesn't work, I'm gonna duplicate the MnP setup @Duke is running

Quote Originally Posted by BJXDS View Post
    The conventional wisdom for many reasons, that I really don't totally buy into is NO Comps for CCW but for competition there may be advantages.

I will say the G21C is one of the softest shooting pistols I have shot, 22 cal excluded, but it is not my ccw choice. AND I don't want to shot a comp pistol from retention
    The Glock 22C I briefly owned is the only .40 Glock (aside from the 24) that I didn't absolutely hate because of obnoxious recoil.

It's been a couple decades and memory is fuzzy but the Glock porting stands out in my mind as working rather well. Or at least it felt that way compared to it's 1990s-era contemporaries.

I toyed with an 4.25" 1.0 M&P ported CORE back when I was playing with the 2.0 M&P's. It's the only experience I have with a ported handgun, so take the following with a grain of salt.

The ported 1.0 gun shot flatter (less muzzle rise) than the 2.0 guns, which already shot noticeably flatter than the 1.0 non-ported version. I'd say Duke's 5-10% estimate of muzzle rise reduction is about right, though I never filmed it in slow motion to investigate. I am just going by feel and sight. I could easily keep the dot in the window during recoil, which I'm not particularly good at normally. Putting the ported 1.0 upper on the 2.0 lower was fantastic. It was almost like shooting a .22 in terms of muzzle movement, though there was obviously more blast and noise.

I only shot factory jacketed ammo through the ported gun. The front sight did get dark over a range session, but I was using the dot anyway. I shot plenty from retention because I heard on the internet that that was not a good idea with a ported gun. It was fine. You can feel and hear increases concussion/blast, but I didn't have any burns on my clothes or arms and I didn't have anything hit my face or eye pro. I'd be comfortable shooting from retention in a self defense scenario, at least with that particular gun.

If I were going back down the M&P rabbit hole, I'd make a choice based on what combination of upper and lower I wanted rather before making a choice on porting or not. If I could easily get a ported version with the lower I want and an optics cut, I'd go that way. If I had to buy several guns to mix and match the parts I want to get the lower I wanted with an optics cut and porting, I'd probably just skip the porting and take what is available from Smith without bending over backwards to have porting.

I really want a compact 15-round lower and an upper with an optics cut, which doesn't seem to exist, so I'd have to buy several guns to put that package together anyway. If you're fine with a full sized lower, then that's a non-issue. I'd have no hesitation going for the porting.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

User Tag List