Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on porting

"When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

I know Southnarc has seen porting present some potential safety issues in retention shooting in classes.

https://www.facebook.com/38499303836...AVW3JrNDWU&d=n

and

https://www.facebook.com/38499303836...iSM909PrIh&d=n
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    I know Southnarc has seen porting present some potential safety issues in retention shooting in classes.

https://www.facebook.com/38499303836...AVW3JrNDWU&d=n

and

https://www.facebook.com/38499303836...iSM909PrIh&d=n
    Both posts seem specific to that ported Shield model?

The G19 w/KKM and similar comps work well and do not seem to have an issue shooting from retention.

On the other hand, the G19c and other "c" model Glocks did have issues shooting from retention. These c-model Glocks also had reliability issues due to carbon building up between the slide and barrel; early in the GWOT, a US military unit received some G19c's instead of their normal G19's and discovered this during some high volume training. The original inventor of the G19 Roland and some other well known folks were in this unit and commented on this problem publicly in the 2005 time-frame over at Lightfighter.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

If you have taken an ECQC class (or equivalent where you had to shoot from pectoral index) with a ported/comped gun, you know how that works with that gun and for you, be it positive or negative.

If you haven't taken such a class, I suggest you go to the range, bring a piece of paper that you will hold over the ports/comp when you shoot with your carry ammo. That should give you some idea of what happens with the flash, unburnt powder (if any), bullet shavings (if any) etc .. Then when you get back home, look up the high pectoral index in photos or videos, mimic it, see where that port/comp is pointed (we have different bodies, so it's not going to be the exactly the same for everyone) and figure out for that gun if you're ok with where whatever is coming out of that comp/port is going. If you're ok with it, drive on, if you're not ok with it, don't carry that gun
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    If you have taken an ECQC class (or equivalent where you had to shoot from pectoral index) with a ported/comped gun, you know how that works with that gun and for you, be it positive or negative.

If you haven't taken such a class, I suggest you go to the range, bring a piece of paper that you will hold over the ports/comp when you shoot with your carry ammo. That should give you some idea of what happens with the flash, unburnt powder (if any), bullet shavings (if any) etc .. Then when you get back home, look up the high pectoral index in photos or videos, mimic it, see where that port/comp is pointed (we have different bodies, so it's not going to be the exactly the same for everyone) and figure out for that gun if you're ok with where whatever is coming out of that comp/port is going. If you're ok with it, drive on, if you're not ok with it, don't carry that gun
    I remember an article or blog post @Tamara wrote some time back about running part of a class with a lot of position 2/pectoral retention shooting while using a shorter barreled pistol. Her comment that her anatomy wasn’t compatible with shooting that gun from that position and that she was a lot more comfortable after swapping to a longer slide version of the same gun stuck with me, though my anatomy isn’t the same, and led to an experiment of shooting a variety of pistols and revolvers from that position.

A heavy .357 load really cleared my sinuses and gave my chest and left hand that was pressed to my sternum an uncomfortable whack. Do not recommend.

I know for certain that ports in the barrel of a 4" S&W Model 29 and 4 5/8" Ruger Blackhawk in caliber .44 Magnum full power loads with 250 gr. and 300 gr. bullets make a pretty fair difference in reducing perceived recoil.

In 9mm pistols?? Eh . . . . not so much.

But I will add . . . . if the shooter THINKS the ports are helping him achieve faster splits with his Glock 9mm, then they are probably worth the time and money to HIM.

I think porting/compensators complement RDS sights; the whole is more than the sum of the parts.

A few thoughts and questions.

1) if someone wanted a comp to attach to the threaded barrel on the Shadow MR920, which comp would be recommended and why?

2) if someone wanted to comp a Glock 43X, what comp would be recommended? Will the combo fit in a Glock 48 holster?

3) I see the 4.25 Core is available ported. If experience caused me to not like porting, could I add an OEM or Apex non ported barrel and carry on without issue?

4) how does the recoil reduction from a ported S&W M&P compare to a Glock in Roland configuration?

5) finally, if someone could post a picture of a hot chick shooting a ported Glock or S&W in ripped jeans, YVK would appreciate it.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    A few thoughts and questions.

5) finally, if someone could post a picture of a hot chick shooting a ported Glock or S&W in ripped jeans, YVK would appreciate it.
    He's not the only one...

User Tag List