Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on porting

Thoughts on porting

I have so far avoided the Roland treatment of a pistol, put off by the extra length, complexity and concerns over reliability. That bell cow Duke has apparently embraced porting in his Core pistols. Porting seems attractive in you are not increasing overall length, don’t have something to come loose, and I am not aware of porting reducing reliability.

What is the thinking on porting on a carry gun, as in the M&P 2.0 Core pistols with that option?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I had similar thoughts and started this thread after reading Duke's experience with the M&P as well as seeing Aaron Cowan's video with a ported G34. For now, I'm sticking with a 'Roland Special' (G45 MOS w/KKM Compensator) but if Glock were to offer, say a GEN5 G17C MOS, I'd be looking to give one a try. Still, I don't quite understand why M&P porting > Glock 'C' models.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    So @Duke's love affair with his S&W Performance Center M&P has gotten me thinking - is there something different about S&W's barrel porting compared to Glock's much disliked 'C' series pistols? What is working better about S&W's execution? I noticed in Aaron Cowan's latest video he is sporting a GEN5 G34 with a ported barrel by Agency Arms which looks a lot like the old C series treatment. Typically we've seen the "Roland Special" Glock builds use compensators vice ports...why aren't we seeing a GEN5 MOS 'C' model, or what does Glock need to do to make that model desirable?
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    I had similar thoughts and started this thread after reading Duke's experience with the M&P as well as seeing Aaron Cowan's video with a ported G34. For now, I'm sticking with a 'Roland Special' (G45 MOS w/KKM Compensator) but if Glock were to offer, say a GEN5 G17C MOS, I'd be looking to give one a try. Still, I don't quite understand why M&P porting > Glock 'C' models.
    Good point about the Glock C models. I remember when they came out and quickly seemed to die off. People supposedly complained about the flash but maybe the newer powders have reduced the issue?
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Do you have @AsianJedi contact info? As I recall, last year when I took his 3 day he was rocking a G34 that had been ported. He may have some insight that is worthwhile, but I don’t think he’s on the forum much anymore.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I have no use for it, but that is purely academic, as I've never shot a porter pistol.

I don't like having more holes up top that debris can get into on a carry gun.

I've read that the upward-directed gasses can blacken the front site, and interfere with vision when shooting in low light. I shoot alot at night.

Purely anecdotal, no personal experience.

Does a ported pistol, like a G19C, really hold that much flatter when shooting than non ported? Make for much shorter splits?

I need to find someone with a ported G19 or 17 and do some side by side.

I've never particularly cared to try comps or ported guns, this is specifically for the factory ported Shield but raises some consideration
    https://m.facebook.com/3849930383668...3334056866042/

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    I have no use for it, but that is purely academic, as I've never shot a porter pistol.

I don't like having more holes up top that debris can get into on a carry gun.

I've read that the upward-directed gasses can blacken the front site, and interfere with vision when shooting in low light. I shoot alot at night.

Purely anecdotal, no personal experience.

Does a ported pistol, like a G19C, really hold that much flatter when shooting than non ported? Make for much shorter splits?

I need to find someone with a ported G19 or 17 and do some side by side.
    All porting systems are not created equal. The C series Glocks have never impressed me the way the KKM comp or the porting on the M&P 2.0 CORES have.

Oh just fucking stop it with the night blindness nonsense.

It’s a semi auto pistol not a belt fed M249. To that end premium defense ammo from my 13 months now of comped/ported dot guns, Show to have less night time muzzle signature than training ammo. 13 months isn’t a long time but I came directly from an iron sight, non comped/ported gun to these and besides being easier to shoot there wasn’t much to note

Some federal range stuff now is marked “not for use in ported Guns or Guns with comps” not sure sure what kind of Oregon trail era gun they think I’m running but whatever.....

though I have never found myself simultaneously in waist deep quicksand - and with an immediate need to produce my pistol and go to guns - if I did my bets are the ports letting “debris” in my barrel won’t be my biggest issues.

Here’s a non ported bert 92 with a a huge ass muzzle blast.

And here’s a ported 5” M&p....not with a huge fireball. Same ammo.

The RMR at times goes brighter when it registers the flash if you’re in total darkness. But A) beyond just to see what happens - why are you shooting at something in total darkness with no light/weapon light to PID? B) the RMR goes back to normal when the weapon light is illuminating your intended target - which is hard to argue against as the next step before shooting at something in total darkness

I can certainly see the skepticism and overall desire to keep things simple....but we’re looking for an advantage. Big or small. With the correct recoil spring set up id say ports are worth 5-10% of the total controllability. It’s not huge but - wishing your gun recoiled more and had more muzzle rise is not a thing.

Lastly......What ever would I do if my black steel sights....got tarnished....blacker by muzzle blast

Name:  691A659B-3B7A-4102-B4A5-F6C599D6799B.jpg
Views: 1048
Size:  35.6 KB

Name:  CC516CB7-DC55-4759-BF93-673310C3CE88.jpg
Views: 1032
Size:  32.4 KB
    Last edited by Duke; 08-22-2020 at 05:16 AM.

Modern comp designs work, no doubt.

As to having one on a carry pistol, nah I'm good.
    IMO the advantage a comp brings to the table (primarily faster splits) is nullified when you are shooting at the speed of analysis.
    I'd rather not have to deal with the comp negatives (most negatives are overblown but they do exist) when I can already split faster than I can OODA.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

The conventional wisdom for many reasons, that I really don't totally buy into is NO Comps for CCW but for competition there may be advantages.

I will say the G21C is one of the softest shooting pistols I have shot, 22 cal excluded, but it is not my ccw choice. AND I don't want to shot a comp pistol from retention

User Tag List