Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ammo Storage ?

For taking ammo to the range I have some 100-round MTM boxes I stick in my range bag, but for storage everything goes in USGI ammo cans. If it's factory ammo, I'll flatten one box and stick it in the can with the ammo so I know what brand, bullet weight, etc it is.

Site Supporter
    My son would go shooting and take a "can" of reloaded .223 or 9mm with him. He thought he was obligated to blow through all the ammo in the can. Too expensive.

So, I don't pack ammo loose in a can anymore. I used boxes from an outfit called RepackBox. Different cardboard boxes for different calibers.
    50 rd boxes for most pistol caliber and either 20 or 30 rd boxes for rifle. I use another box that I can pack 56 rounds of 223 in.
    I can put boxes with over 1K of pistol or 800 of rifle rds in a metal ammo can. The MTM or Dillon plastic boxes don't fit in metal ammo cans as well.

Now when he goes shooting, I give him some boxes, but not the whole can.
    Even reloading is expensive.
    But, I will take the whole can when I go.

I store my ammo in 50 caliber ammo cans, regular 50 and fat 50 = examples here: https://www.weaponoutfitters.com/ar-gas-vent.html

I was lucky and found a bunch of the fat 50's at our scrap metal dealer and bought them for $7.00 each. Paid $5.00 for regular 50's.

These cans stack nicely on top of each other for storage.

The FAT 50's hold: 1) 28 USGI 30rd Mags; 2) Ten 100 round .45ACP boxes (1,000 Rounds); 3) Thirteen 100 round 9mm boxes (1300 rounds)

The 50's comfortably hold nine 100 round 9mm boxes. If I hold my tongue correctly, I can squeeze ten boxes in - four boxes stacked closest to the hinge, five boxes closest to the latch and one box, on it's side in between the two stacks. Otherwise it's stack of four with one in between.

I use the Dillon Blue Boxes:

https://www.dillonprecision.com/ammu..._10_26688.html $3.15

https://www.dillonprecision.com/ammu..._10_26685.html $2.83

The reason that I use these particular boxes is because I case/chamber check every 9mm and .45ACP I load using Shockbottle 100 round case gauges:

https://dawsonprecision.com/shockbottle-case-gauges/

After I'm done I put a 100 round box with the lid removed on top of the case gauge - it's ridged to fit it correctly - then flip the case gauge and push any rounds with hang up into the box; then I take another box (with a lid) set it on top of the other box and flip - cartridges are now oriented primers up.

Also, the Dillon's boxes have their 100% lifetime guarantee. As we say in Kansas 'That's my Dillon's!' (slogan for a grocery chain which was bought by Krogers, but kept the Dillon's name)

Thought I would use this thread to get some input on ammo storage.

I have (or will have shortly) several K of 9mm, and some few .38.

For me, I would prefer to leave the 9mm in the original 50 round boxes. I tried several of the plastic Plano boxes, stored loose. The problem I found with them is that the weight tended to stress the simple latch mechanism. Swinging one mostly full Plano box out of the truck once, it was so heavy, the bottom case broke loose from the top/handle, spilling the contents all over. I had to play 800 round pickup out of a patch of ivy ground cover. Yech.

In terms of length of storage, at my consumption rate, it will be several years before I get to shooting most of it, so I need a system good for 3-5 years.

I will have clean dry space that I plan to use (garage). It is not subject to flooding. I am mulling over options to "lock" it up, but this would be more like a steel upright shelf unit with simple key lock, and not an actual Gun Safe or Residential Security Container. I have appropriate indoor storage for the guns, just not enough room for the ammo (and a larger RSC/Safe is not an affordable option.)

Several questions:

Are sealed containers, even the plastic Plano boxes with the O-ring, necessary and up to the job? I live in Florida, with high humidity virtually year round. I'm assuming even storing in a container (i.e. steel cabinet) a passive desiccant would be a waste of time, due to constant air exchange. Since I plan to leave the ammo in the boxes, I can see "maybe" getting a bunch of the Plano boxes again, but if I don't need to, I can save some money. I would need several dozen of these for what I have in mind.

Are there any issues in leaving ammo long term (years) in the 50 round storage boxes? This is all new brass-cased ammo from Federal or Speer/CCI.

Would you wrap the 50 round boxes in plastic saran wrap, maybe in 4 or 5 box units? I notice that ammo from TargetSports USA arrives inside the box that way. I'm guessing they do that to limit motion inside the outer cardboard shipping box during shipment, but I've always wondered if doing that for stored ammo in boxes would help lessen air exchange.

Where I'm currently heading is to source an upright, heavy duty lockable steel two-door cabinet, and stack the ammo within by type/purchase date, on marked shelves, bottom to top, in the garage. I'd place the cabinet on a plinth of some kind to raise it off the deck a bit, and lessen the risk of rust due to accidental water on the floor from e.g. wet car runoff. Or option 1B is to use the same container, just put it in the MBR closet, but The Boss would have to clear this option. I'm generally allowed to do what I want in the garage.

Something like this:

https://www.harborfreight.com/30-in-...net-64403.html

Name:  64403_W3.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  30.0 KB

Another option is a simple, heavy-duty wire frame roll around four shelf unit; the kind you see associated with food-service, but available at Costco. I could also put this in the garage, or indoors, but there'd not be a "lock" per se, which I'm not real happy about. I would really prefer it be under some kind of lock, even if to keep the honest people out. And potentially visiting grandkids who don't need to be messing with the ammo.

Thanks. I may be overthinking this, but if there's anything I'm missing, or you would suggest, as to options for long term ammo storage, I'd appreciate it.
    Last edited by RJ; 11-13-2020 at 09:33 AM.

The NSF shelves are not the only ones to look at. There are shelves they sell that are rated for much more weight. leaves the locking issue, so build a cabinet around it.

I prefer the metal cans for storage, and then transport a few boxes into plastic for carrying to the range, besides the range bag.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Thought I would use this thread to get some input on ammo storage.

I have (or will have shortly) several K of 9mm, and some few .38.

For me, I would prefer to leave the 9mm in the original 50 round boxes. I tried several of the plastic Plano boxes, stored loose. The problem I found with them is that the weight tended to stress the simple latch mechanism. Swinging one mostly full Plano box out of the truck once, it was so heavy, the bottom case broke loose from the top/handle, spilling the contents all over. I had to play 800 round pickup out of a patch of ivy ground cover. Yech.

In terms of length of storage, at my consumption rate, it will be several years before I get to shooting most of it, so I need a system good for 3-5 years.

I will have clean dry space that I plan to use (garage). It is not subject to flooding. I am mulling over options to "lock" it up, but this would be more like a steel upright shelf unit with simple key lock, and not an actual Gun Safe or Residential Security Container. I have appropriate indoor storage for the guns, just not enough room for the ammo (and a larger RSC/Safe is not an affordable option.)

Several questions:

Are sealed containers, even the plastic Plano boxes with the O-ring, necessary and up to the job? I live in Florida, with high humidity virtually year round. I'm assuming even storing in a container (i.e. steel cabinet) a passive desiccant would be a waste of time, due to constant air exchange. Since I plan to leave the ammo in the boxes, I can see "maybe" getting a bunch of the Plano boxes again, but if I don't need to, I can save some money. I would need several dozen of these for what I have in mind.

Are there any issues in leaving ammo long term (years) in the 50 round storage boxes? This is all new brass-cased ammo from Federal or Speer/CCI.

Would you wrap the 50 round boxes in plastic saran wrap, maybe in 4 or 5 box units? I notice that ammo from TargetSports USA arrives inside the box that way. I'm guessing they do that to limit motion inside the outer cardboard shipping box during shipment, but I've always wondered if doing that for stored ammo in boxes would help lessen air exchange.

Where I'm currently heading is to source an upright, heavy duty lockable steel two-door cabinet, and stack the ammo within by type/purchase date, on marked shelves, bottom to top, in the garage. I'd place the cabinet on a plinth of some kind to raise it off the deck a bit, and lessen the risk of rust due to accidental water on the floor from e.g. wet car runoff. Or option 1B is to use the same container, just put it in the MBR closet, but The Boss would have to clear this option. I'm generally allowed to do what I want in the garage.

Something like this:

https://www.harborfreight.com/30-in-...net-64403.html

Name:  64403_W3.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  30.0 KB

Another option is a simple, heavy-duty wire frame roll around four shelf unit; the kind you see associated with food-service, but available at Costco. I could also put this in the garage, or indoors, but there'd not be a "lock" per se, which I'm not real happy about. I would really prefer it be under some kind of lock, even if to keep the honest people out. And potentially visiting grandkids who don't need to be messing with the ammo.

Thanks. I may be overthinking this, but if there's anything I'm missing, or you would suggest, as to options for long term ammo storage, I'd appreciate it.
    Here's what I do...

I dump 50-100 rounds at a time in a ziploc bag, I tear off the end flap of the box that has the lot number stamped on it, and stick it in the bag. Then I press as much air as possible out of the bag and seal it. Air + Moisture = Oxidation of brass. If you can get as much air out as possible, you reduce the chances of there being enough moisture for oxidation. I then take those bags and put them in my larger storage unit (for stuff that is going to the range, that's an empty .30cal ammo can, which can easily hold 2000 rounds of 9mm in this fashion). The others go into a plastic box like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-27-G...NE-5/205978361

My boxes are in the house. But I have like 8 of these filled with car parts in my 'cave' of a garage (with a lot of moisture in it) and no issues with excess moisture inside the boxes. If I wanted to store ammo in them, I'd ziploc the ammo and place a desiccant pack inside the box. These plastic boxes have holes in which a padlock could be inserted (it would need two; one on each side).

The advantage of doing the ziploc thing is reducing the bulk of what you need to store. Ammo is much easier stored loose, but is heavy. Separating it into 50-100 round lots keeps it manageable. Plus, when you go to shoot a match you can just grab a bag or two and have what you need. I find it easier to track my ammo consumption by counting empty ziplocs at the end of the day, since I tend to throw boxes and trays away as I empty them.

Rich,

I've been using one of the Gladiator storage units https://www.gladiatorgarageworks.com...arage-cabinets. Not gun-safe safe, but lockable. And I keep mine in the garage in central NC. Not FL-level humidity, but humid enough, and with seasonable extremes, condensation can be an issue at times in an unheated garage. Storage-wise, I leave my factory ammo in the 50-rd boxes, and those still in the factory cardboard shipping box (the 500 or 1,000 rd cases). Have had some odd caliber stuff stored for years, and never had any issues with corrosion, failure to fire, etc. In fact, had some "new" surplus .45ACP headstamped WCC 73, and some reloads from those same cases loaded in the late '70s. Took both out this past spring, and they all went bang. Didn't chrono them, but function, sound, POI, etc. were all OK. Just last week, I shot a few 147gr HST rounds from a 50-rd box with a $24.95 label on it, but then that was just from early this year (and mostly a comment on current prices).

I don't think I'd worry too much about leaving them in factory boxes in the garage, assuming you won't be hosing the garage out frequently (which actually I do, but just don't spray the Gladiator box).

I use OEM cardboard boxes, the plastic storage boxes, or ammo cans for bulk. But I live in a dry climate, so dunno about Florida.

What is the temp control in the garage, i.e. air conditioned, or getting really hot? The only storage problems I have seen are things stored in a friend's un-conditioned, indeed uninsulated, garage for a few years. That caused maybe 10% to go click...pause...boom.

Anyway, my vote for multi year storage would be anyplace cool and dry.

User Tag List