Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ammo Storage ?

Ammo Storage ?

Once I get some of my loads fine tuned, I plan on cranking a bunch out. The question now is do I spring for the fancy plastic storage boxes or stick with the zip lock bags and and coffee cans? I do use the MTM boxes for my hunting rounds and such but what I'm loading now is just basic range fodder. In the past I have used the coffee and ammo cans but wondering if up grading would be better.

Site Supporter
    Anything worth doing is worth doing right. Spring for the Plano box below (MADE IN USA) or actual ammo cans .

https://www.amazon.com/Plano-131250-...s%2C503&sr=8-7

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    Once I get some of my loads fine tuned, I plan on cranking a bunch out. The question now is do I spring for the fancy plastic storage boxes or stick with the zip lock bags and and coffee cans? I do use the MTM boxes for my hunting rounds and such but what I'm loading now is just basic range fodder. In the past I have used the coffee and ammo cans but wondering if up grading would be better.
    I have a mix - for 9mm, I have 6 of the 100-round boxes that I use as my "active" ammo for matches, range trips, etc., which allows me to keep things organized and easily track round counts on guns. Any ammo I load in any given session at the press that goes past filling those up goes into zip lock bags, from which the plastic boxes are later refilled. Works well for me, YMMV of course.

I was browsing just now and found this https://www.amazon.com/MTM-ACC9-Comb...ishing&sr=1-13

I think I will at least get one to give it a go. If it works as good as it looks this may be my new go to.

Site Supporter
    CD your pick looks like great value. 10 cases and the "can" for under 40.00 shipped. Made in the USA.

I use the MTM 30 caliber sized ammo cans and put the ammo loose in them. Just finished 400 rounds of .223 which fits nicely. they will accomodate 1k 9mm, but I put 500 as the weight on the handle and latch concern me for transportation. I love the milsurp 30 cal cans but my monster mitts don't do well for extraction of ammo from them.

Here is my Jam:

https://www.amazon.com/MTM-AC4C-Ammo...s%2C168&sr=8-1

You can stack the racks on top of each other, and my way of storing will yield 2k of 9mm or 1600 of .223. Put p-touch labels on them and some silica gel, and Bob's your Uncle!

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    CD your pick looks like great value. 10 cases and the "can" for under 40.00 shipped. Made in the USA.
    Yeah, price seems very reasonable for what you get. IIRC I last paid something like $3 per for the 100-round boxes before shipping, so you could just about view the "can" as free in that price.

MTM 30 cal cans. I typically ziplock bag them just so I can grab whatever number of rounds (usually 50, since that's what my loading trays hold - each tray equals a bag)

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    I was browsing just now and found this https://www.amazon.com/MTM-ACC9-Comb...ishing&sr=1-13

I think I will at least get one to give it a go. If it works as good as it looks this may be my new go to.
    Works good, I use it all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

I use the 100 round boxes for matches. It helps to look at all the primers, a row is ten rounds and I shoot production, I know exactly how much ammo I brought...

If you really want to crank out a lot of ammo, you waste a lot of time getting bullets into the 100 round containers vs just dumping them in a plastic ammo can. For practice ammo I just load and dump them in a can.

I have had problems with breaking the handles on 50 cal plastic cans if if fill them with loose rounds. 30 cal cans shouldn't be a problem.

User Tag List