Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HK VP9 or VP9L with SRO

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    Just a follow up- 1600 rounds through the VP9 with SRO after a Gunsite range day. Zero issues (except a couple false dots in the SRO window with the sun overhead).
    In my experience, the SRO is better than the RMR and DP Pro in this regard, but you can still get two dots, especially in a low forward sun angle. DP Pro and RMR can have multiple dots, where the Acro has two like the SRO. The best optic for this is the Sig Romeo 3 Max.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I handed it to one of the instructors to explain why I had just miked a 25 yard target after pretty good results earlier. He actually noted four dots in total, I was seeing two extra dots that looked identical to the actual dot, to the left and right.

It got me so paranoid that I caught myself checking the iron sight alignment just to be sure.

Oddly the sun was overhead- I’ve only seen this with an RMR when sun is low on the horizon, and have never been confused by that false dot because it looks quite different. But this is why we train, right?

I handed it to one of the instructors to explain why I had just miked a 25 yard target after pretty good results earlier. He actually noted four dots in total, I was seeing two extra dots that looked identical to the actual dot, to the left and right.

It got me so paranoid that I caught myself checking the iron sight alignment just to be sure.

Oddly the sun was overhead- I’ve only seen this with an RMR when sun is low on the horizon, and have never been confused by that false dot because it looks quite different. But this is why we train, right?
    It reinforces index and target focus — because if both those are working, the right dot will be on the spot on the target.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    It reinforces index and target focus — because if both those are working, the right dot will be on the spot on the target.
    Quite right, but one does NOT need that “feature” under time pressure. Especially if Walt is running the range.

Quite right, but one does NOT need that “feature” under time pressure. Especially if Walt is running the range.
    Oh yeah, it sucks. Once at a match on the first stage in the morning, I was aiming at a mini popper and the one two feet to the right fell over at my shot. That is one of the reasons my wife uses the Romeo 3 Max — only one dot in every light condition we have tried.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Oh yeah, it sucks. Once at a match on the first stage in the morning, I was aiming at a mini popper and the one two feet to the right fell over at my shot. That is one of the reasons my wife uses the Romeo 3 Max — only one dot in every light condition we have tried.
    Well, clearly she is better than either of us to be sure. Hope to see both of you at the next GAS.

“Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Question for GJM

Sir, would you recommend an SRO for a carry weapon, and if so what size dot. (60yrs old here with progressive lens) Totally new to the red dot scene. Thank You for your sage advice.

I’m not GJM and don’t nearly have his credentials, but I can tell you that the SRO on my VP9-L ran flawlessly in every condition during my just-completed Gunsite 499 class, as well as another training class and a competition the week before. I ran the 1 MOA version in the class, and it is more or less indistinguishable from my 2.5 MOA SRO’s on the other VP9-L’s I run regularly, when run in bright sunshine.

Completely reliable for this sort of hard use- but I never dropped the weapon.

While I carry RMR’s, my confidence in the SRO as a carry option has increased greatly after a lengthy series of training classes and competitions.

But, it is certainly more vulnerable to abuse than an RMR Type 2.

... but I can tell you that the SRO on my VP9-L ran flawlessly in every condition during my just-completed Gunsite 499 class,
    Scrolling P-F this morning and saw the thread title. I was going to mention seeing a VP-9L with an SRO all week, but I don't need to. You put in solid work this week; nicely done!

User Tag List