Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 62 isn't too old for this S***

Site Supporter
    You'd have to be off your rocker to pick a fight with older, more jacked Carl Winslow...

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Cool...there’s hope for me..

You are never too old to benefit from jiu-jitsu. The guy was built, but his knowledge of positions and leverage allowed him to dominate the guy easily. I trained with a gentleman in his 70s who was able to dominate some 20 year olds who were new to the class. It humbled them pretty quickly.

The point of jiu-jitsu is to “float” and change positions effortlessly as your opponent uses strength and energy to try and get up like a caveman. It depletes their energy very quickly and usually opens them up for submissions and strikes. More importantly, they become too gassed to generate the power necessary to significantly hurt you. This obviously changes against a trained opponent, but they generally have more integrity than to start street fights with 60 year old men.
    Last edited by GAP; 08-21-2020 at 08:10 AM.

Well, crap. I turn 62 in Feb. I need to learn this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Being large and strong helps. Start there.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    It’s not as uncommon as you might think. We have a 60 year old who received his blue belt this year. No time like the present, we aren’t getting any younger

Quote Originally Posted by randyho View Post
    Being large and strong helps. Start there.
    Working on it.

Quote Originally Posted by EPF View Post
    It’s not as uncommon as you might think. We have a 60 year old who received his blue belt this year. No time like the present, we aren’t getting any younger
    Thanks. Hope for me yet. When the time comes, I'll ask some more specific questions in this forum, but hopefully most will be answered by the instructor. To be honest, I'm probably going to wait until wider availability of COVID vaccine; my wife and I are both in the "risk" group, and I'd rather things calm down a little before I get into a contact sport like jits. Meanwhile I'll keep going on my healthy keto/weight training routine.

Very much appreciate the input guys.

Quote Originally Posted by EPF View Post
    Started BJJ when I turned 59, trained until covid hit last year. Had a couple significant breaks in training before covid because of work and family issues. Made 4 strip white belt (come at me bro) I'll be turning 64 in a couple of months.

Before covid I was going to class and rolling with 2 - 3 injuries. After I get my second vaccine shot I'm struggling with whether I should go back or if I'm tilting at windmills. Chances are I'll start up and see how it goes....

As soon as my daughter turns 4.5, she's starting BJJ.

Site Supporter
    All jokes aside, my main training partner is 52 I think and just got a second or third stripe on his blue belt. He's a known terror for basically any of the purple belts and a death sentence for almost all of the blue/white belts.

Of course it helps that he used to box, powerlift etc. As much as guys like to say otherwise...size and strength are a HUGE advantage.

It definitely seems like a number of those street altercations with BJJ practitioners end with the BJJ guy on the other guys back and then strangling him unconscious. Especially if BJJ guy can strike or wrestle a little (and BJJ guys should be learning wrestling/takedown skills in their schools IMO) or if a Muay Thai guy knows a few submissions. Whichever.

I feel like most of the stuff in purple/brown/black belt is a lot of "how to beat other BJJ/wrestling guys who know that trick too" and so you see the development of some unique stuff like open guards/half guards/inverted guards/leglocks.

A blue belt from a legit school against an untrained dude, even one a little bigger than them...that's not a problem for the fundamentals. Punch your way into takedown range, add a junior varsity level wrestling takedown, get the guard pass, get mount, land a few strikes until the guy turns over and then strangle him unconscious.

Job done.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

User Tag List