Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Revolver learning curve, can it make you a better pistol shooter.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by flux View Post
    I have been toying with the idea of getting a Ruger LCR solely for BUG carry. My question relates to the training side of things. Can shooting one of the smaller revolvers make you a better pistol shooter or does it increase probability of flinching etc.
    If you stick to light loads it probably would. A hand exerciser helps too - lot cheaper than an LCR and you can use it in the office or car.

I think if you start shooting revolvers without any other experience, you'll be more accustomed to snap and recoil.

My first handgun was a S&W model 19 2.5" barrel. This was my first introduction to shooting of any kind. For me, there were several things going on at the same time. They were sight picture, trigger control, and anticipation of discharge/recoil. With lots of practice over the years, I actually enjoyed, anticipated the next shooting session. The way I kept a stable sight picture was to concentrate on the sight/target with the intensity where that was my overwhelming focus. In other words, my attention stayed on sight picture, not bouncing back and forth from trigger pull and recoil. It took practice to achieve this focus.

The longer the trigger pull, the more opportunity there is for sight picture disruption. Same way with a pistol with a heavy trigger pull. I think the reason folks like to take down trigger pull weight to the last ounce of reliability......ultimately less sight picture upset.

So settle on your platform and practice frequently. You will be rewarded with increased confidence and proficiency with your firearm.

I would say yes. A few years back, I broke bones in my right hand and wrist. I spent a lot of time running a G19 left handed, nearly 7 months.

I also had a great of time to think while healing. I posed your exact question to Wayne Dobbs and Darryl Bolke. So as part of the recovery, I spent a year running a 686. Carried it IWB, and shot it in all the classes I took. (That got some looks, the old fossil shooting a wheelgun at the end of the firing line).

But 14,000 rounds and a year later, triggers are a lot easier to manipulate. It also made my eventual switch to Beretta 92-ish guns very simple.

I did have to send that 686 back to S&W for some warranty work, however. I was actually kind of proud of that, in a weird sort of way.

User Tag List