Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revolver learning curve, can it make you a better pistol shooter.

Revolver learning curve, can it make you a better pistol shooter.

I have been toying with the idea of getting a Ruger LCR solely for BUG carry. My question relates to the training side of things. Can shooting one of the smaller revolvers make you a better pistol shooter or does it increase probability of flinching etc.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by flux View Post
    I have been toying with the idea of getting a Ruger LCR solely for BUG carry. My question relates to the training side of things. Can shooting one of the smaller revolvers make you a better pistol shooter or does it increase probability of flinching etc.
    I think it helps. I carry either an LCR 38 or Glock 48 (depending on how I'm dressed and what I'm doing). I feel like getting better (not claiming I'm "good") with the little gun benefits the G48 and others because of the increased trigger control. The little guns just don't tolerate poor technique.

Chris

I got some good input on revolver Dry Practice here:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....istol-Shooting

I really enjoy my LCR .38. It’s one of the best gun buying decisions I’ve ever made.

A better pistol shooter? Maybe.

A more stylish one? Absolutely...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by flux View Post
    "Better" isn't the word I'd use, I'd go with "thoughtful." Shooting a lot of revolvers and doing a lot of revolver dry fire makes you very mindful of your trigger press. Once you can master a DA trigger, transitioning to any other type of trigger is relatively easy, because you'll find that you can devote less time to observing your trigger press with a striker fired gun.

Don't know about smaller revolvers, the only one I currently own is an N-frame S&W 625-6. But I find shooting a revolver well is a LOT more work than shooting a pistol, and the mechanics are enough different that I don't feel like there's much carryover. Obviously, YMMV, but in my case, I'm finding revolvers to be a totally different critter from pistols, different grip, different trigger pull, and different sight picture. That said, I tend to shoot the revolver better than the pistols, but that may be due to extra attention being paid to a less familiar platform. Of course, it may also be that it's inherently more accurate, but I need more time behind the trigger to make that determination. Regardless, it's a fun alternative to the pistols. Later.

Dave

I shoot thousands of rounds of .38 out of my S&W old Model 10. It helps me learn trigger control. Staying on target through the entire shot. Keeping my eye on the front sight and letting it move in a circle onto the black. I've been doing this for 50 years.

It sure helps my pistol shooting. When I do go to the automatics, be it .22s or 45s I feel more comfortable knowing that the shot will break faster and my control is a little better.

My scores with the revolver are actually a few points higher than the autos because that is what I'm more comfortable shooting. My carry gun is the Model 10. It has never failed me where I've had a few jams in the autos that could have killed me.

We have in the past, left a Model 10 sit on top of the dresser with no ammo nearby. My wife and I could pick it up and dry fire DA for a few seconds or minutes. Helped our trigger control.

<<<< It's that one.

I was working during the police transition from DA revolvers to DA/SA pistols (before Glocks).

Good revolver shooters in general quickly became good DA/SA pistol shooters; some struggling revolver shooters became better shooters with the DA/SA, others still struggled.

I've always felt that mastery or competency with a DA revolver will give you a leg up on learning to shoot any other type of pistol. Obviously if you are competent with the DA revolver you have the requisite grip strength to shoot the DA/SA, DAO, or SA pistols effectively.

I've never experienced taking a highly proficient SA shooter through the process of transitioning to a DA wheel gun, might be interesting.

Site Supporter
    The first new handgun I bought when I turned 21 was a S&W model 17 and a 5000 rd case of .22LR. It was a great investment. I wish I had known about a model 18 then. I think a revolver is great training for all handgun shooting. If you plan on dry firing a lot I would get a S&W model 15.

User Tag List