Thread: Movement Training (not for old farts!!!!)

Movement Training (not for old farts!!!!)

Shamelessly stolen from Brian Enos. Looks like excellent movement drills for the youngins. As an old fart in training, just watching five minutes makes my knees ache.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    As an old fart in training, just watching five minutes makes my knees ache.
    I am closing on 52, and he's making me do this shit. No age excuses.

The dude is my practice partner. He is up and coming M class Limited shooter who works very hard and practices a lot. He's arguably the most fit shooter locally but I don't think that fitness is the main key to his recent progress.
    Having done these exercises, I am unconvinced that all of that is specifically beneficial for USPSA. Generally beneficial, yes, USPSA-specific, unsure. For example, ladder drills are a generic answer to agility training, agility is good for USPSA, but we really don't see that kind of footwork or even stance on stages. They are fun to do though.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post

The dude is my practice partner. He is up and coming M class Limited shooter who works very hard and practices a lot. He's arguably the most fit shooter locally but I don't think that fitness is the main key to his recent progress.
    Having done these exercises, I am unconvinced that all of that is specifically beneficial for USPSA. Generally beneficial, yes, USPSA-specific, unsure. For example, ladder drills are a generic answer to agility training, agility is good for USPSA, but we really don't see that kind of footwork or even stance on stages. They are fun to do though.
    A bunch of them remind me of old football drills. I am in no way dissing them. OK, maybe the man bun but thats because I am jealous of people having hair.
    Last edited by Zincwarrior; 08-19-2020 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post

...For example, ladder drills are a generic answer to agility training, agility is good for USPSA, but we really don't see that kind of footwork or even stance on stages. They are fun to do though.
    I *am* 52, and we do ladder training in the boxing gym—at least when it’s not shuttered over C19 orders.

But forget me: as I am literally typing this, a buddy from boxing is taking a short piano lesson from my wife. He does these drills with us in the gym, too, and he’s 82.

FWIW.

I think this stuff is interesting to do but like a lot of people I wonder how much it really carries over. I think a lot of people have a sort of simplistic way of thinking where they feel that their movement is hindering them, so they latch onto "movement" exercises from football or soccer to try and address it. However I think the aspects of movement for USPSA can be pretty different because we need to come into positions with the gun ready to shoot and move while keeping a gun very stable. I'm not very knowledgeable about football or soccer but I would expect that there isn't as much of a need to keep the upper body and your extended arms really stable for a prolonged period.
    Last edited by Eyesquared; 08-19-2020 at 07:57 PM.

User Tag List