Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Peaceful protests, vehicle fighting, and kiddos

Site Supporter Notorious E.O.C.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post
    I've wondered, lately, about the feasibility of hooking cell phones into the 911 Computer Aided Dispatch system. Even if the process wasn't automated, it would be handy to be able to push a button and be able to send a "Hey, don't go here, there's some shit". Of course, knowing how people work, a pretty good number of them would then do exactly that, but still.
    The Wireless Emergency Alert (WEA) system is spec'd to do exactly that for government alerting authorities. Not all cell carriers have implemented it properly, though, so you can try to target a given area with an alert and end up broadcasting it to the whole county.
    The way we do science in XCOM is basically by shooting things first.
    - Jake Solomon

As is often the case, Ellifritz provides. From today’s weekend dump:

https://www.integratedskillsgroup.co...ilized-vehicle

Long, but solid. The ISG guys deliver the goods. Anyone reading all of this thread should read the above article too. JMO, but it’s timely, and way apropos to the topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    As is often the case, Ellifritz provides. From today’s weekend dump:

https://www.integratedskillsgroup.co...ilized-vehicle

Long, but solid. The ISG guys deliver the goods. Anyone reading all of this thread should read the above article too. JMO, but it’s timely, and way apropos to the topic.
    I'm not sure who that article was aimed at, but as a random civilian geezer out driving with his family in suburbia, I don't think it was me. I read the whole thing, and got next to nothing out of it.

As mentioned by @Totem Polar, I also find Greg Ellifritz' advice pretty useful. This is the article I refer to in these situations. It's short, useful and too the point:

https://www.activeresponsetraining.n...n-your-vehicle

I like the priority emphasis on avoidance, then slowly moving to keep people off balance if necessary, looking out for explicit threats like beating on your windows or pulling on your door, so you can articulate threats.

To this I'd add what I've been told before; make sure your dash cam is working, and get on the phone to 911 and describe what's happening in real time, including how the threats make you feel. My wife's car has one of those "emergency" buttons to connect to an operator; I'd hit that too if we were in her car.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maple Syrup Actual View Post
    Maybe I underestimate the determination of the crowds but personally I suspect that if they get next to you and are smashing their way in towards your kids and a few heads vaporize right outside the car, they'll go find someone else to terrorize.
    That's pretty much what we've seen, but there is the exception of other people in the crowd being armed and then engaging the person in the vehicle. Some of these people are dedicated in a way that suicide bombers are.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I made a short reply to this thread the other day and mentioned that I would re-think my having my carry holster under my shirt while driving. I generally use a Crossbreed leather/kydex holster which has worked well in the Tacoma pickup but has always been a problem in my wife's Mustang because of the aggressive 'hold you in place' side bolsters of the seats. 6 months ago I got a Corvette w/ the same style seats. So I grabbed a Crossbreed and went to work. I first changed the cant so the barrel is at maybe 45 degrees. I cut off the front belt loop and screwed on a plastic loop underneath the front edge of the kydex. This was so I could slide the holster further forward toward a 2 oclock position to get it away from the seat bolster. Now the gun (M&P9 compact) would be a little slower to draw while standing because of the excess cant. But I took a 2 hour drive yesterday. I pulled my shirt up from covering the gun and tucked it between my side and the holster. I use one of their holsters w/ the leather cut to form a large sweat guard so it works well to jam the shirt behind it. I got in the car, put my seat belt on, and found the gun is perfectly positioned to be easy to draw while seated. Now to buy more mags. I have 5-6 now but only two are the 17 rnds while the others are 12 or 14 or 15. I want maybe five 17 rnds mags and something w/ a should strap to carry them in. Off and on we have had an AR w/ 4 mags in the Mustang and or the truck. If I had to get out of the vehicle I'd much prefer to have an AR but it would be quite awkward to manuever inside the car and I am not 100% comfortable leaving it in the car when we go into a store or whatever. What are you thoughts on an in vehicle AR in addition to our carry pistols? Maybe AR pistol? Maybe a full size pistol w/ six mags in something like a laptop case w/ a should strap would be better.?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    I made a short reply to this thread the other day and mentioned that I would re-think my having my carry holster under my shirt while driving.
    Honestly, it's one of the places appendix carry shines. It's easy to access while seated, your elbow isn't hitting anything, and the seat belt isn't in the way. Ankle carry also works pretty well, and when I worked plain clothes I did the strong side + ankle carry so as to have an easier access while driving option.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Some people have a switch that they flip when it’s violence time. I have a switch that I can flip when it’s time to completely ignore lines, lanes, and traffic laws—to be fair, I’ve had this switch ever since I was a juvenile hooligan riding dirt bikes on city streets at 13 or 14, but still. I’ve put it to good use as a civilized, grown-ass man before.
    Is that the switch that gets flipped when driving a rental car? Asking for a friend.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    So I grabbed a Crossbreed and went to work. I first changed the cant so the barrel is at maybe 45 degrees. I cut off the front belt loop and screwed on a plastic loop underneath the front edge of the kydex. This was so I could slide the holster further forward toward a 2 oclock position to get it away from the seat bolster. Now the gun (M&P9 compact) would be a little slower to draw while standing because of the excess cant. But I took a 2 hour drive yesterday. I pulled my shirt up from covering the gun and tucked it between my side and the holster. I use one of their holsters w/ the leather cut to form a large sweat guard so it works well to jam the shirt behind it. I got in the car, put my seat belt on, and found the gun is perfectly positioned to be easy to draw while seated.
    Any chance you could post a picture of the Crossbreed holster?

I have a lot (50,000 miles approx) of driving in a truck+travel trailer cross country with a Glock 19 in '17 and '18. What I found worked best was a straight cant, strong side OWB, like an RCS Perun or Mitch Rosen Upper Limit.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Honestly, it's one of the places appendix carry shines. It's easy to access while seated, your elbow isn't hitting anything, and the seat belt isn't in the way. Ankle carry also works pretty well, and when I worked plain clothes I did the strong side + ankle carry so as to have an easier access while driving option.
    I've mentioned this before to startled looks, but I agree, with the additional detail I carried Appendix "OWB". Sounds weird but with a holster that can slide a bit, I found that moving an OWB holster slightly inboard from strong side 3/9 o'clock more over to centerline aka "AOWB" worked pretty well. I am pretty shortwaisted (aka "fat" ) so classic AIWB doesn't work well for me.

User Tag List