Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Peaceful protests, vehicle fighting, and kiddos

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Maple Syrup Actual View Post
    You know, I drive a 4wd partly for this reason. But sometimes I wonder about the maneuverability of it in 4 on pavement. Maybe this is a stupid concern but any time I have it in 4 on pavement (which is pretty often since I need 4wd to get my boat out of the water a lot of the time) I'm struck by the jerky and awkward handling, even though I don't think I have a locking front differential or anything.

I've never had a 4wd newer than my old 4runner - is this a byproduct of the primitive technology I'm using? Or is it inherent to the medium? And does anyone else worry about a less-controllable vehicle while pushing through crowds? Obviously at low speed it's not an issue, I just wonder about stepping on it and having it react differently than I expect.

Although I guess I've driven the thing back and forth to the ramp in 4 enough times by now that this concern is probably pointless; I'm just thinking of a "I always run my 226 in SA only except when I suddenly have an emergency and I have to actually work that DA first pull" kind of effect where 99% of your practise time is in 2wd and it handles one way, then, when you're under huge pressure, you flip a switch and you're driving a pretty different-feeling vehicle.

Probably overthinking that...just curious if this is on anyone else's mind.
    I drive in the woods a lot. Often to the end of dead end roads with no turn around while doing survey on the Forest, my long held record is backing up 1 1/2 miles. I'll shift to 2wd to make the turn around a 6 point turn instead of a 10 point turn. 4WD definitely effects turning radius.

If old school 4wd where I gotta shift in neutral and pause to get to 4 wheel low, I don't know. It would rev the engine hard to go 4 mph in 1st so that might get people to back up. Hopefully, I'll never be in the situation to test what my monkey brain would do.

How I'd like to do it...

There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

The difference between AWD and 4wd is 4wd has a low range. The transfer case of our Grand Cherokee has a center differential to allow full time 4wd on pavement and has a low range when greater control is needed for negotiating more difficult obstacles. Low range lets the driver push barriers with less damage to the vehicle or if needed, through a crowd without getting stopped and less risk of injury.

Binding on pavement with part time 4wd (locking center diff) can be greatly mitigated with practice. Steering and throttle technique can allow the tires to slip without spin to relieve gear wind-up. Tight turns in 4wd on the pavement can be a real challenge. On loose surfaces, tight turns can be accomplished with just the right amount of tire spin
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    ... allowing one to munch over curbs, lane dividers, sidewalks, and decorative shrubbery.
    You forgot peaceful protestors.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Site Supporter
    I know there's bear spray, are there any crowd dispersal products available to civilians?
    'Nobody ever called the fire department because they did something intelligent'

1: Shoot every person attempting entry to your vehicle, from within your vehicle.
    I like this idea better than anything else. It has merit. If you can't drive just start shooting the zombies. Most of them will scatter like a flock of pigeons.
    Last edited by Borderland; 08-30-2020 at 09:25 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I’ve been thinking about this a lot, what’s the thoughts and best practices on soft sided vehicles (soft top Jeep) in a riot situation ?

My DD is a Raptor and my wife has an AWD crossover SUV, however on the weekends we spend almost all of our time in a soft top Wrangler. If I had my choice we’d be in the Raptor if something was going to happen but most likely it’ll be the Jeep. A few weeks ago we were hanging out downtown at a brewery and a protest went past the building we were in. Everything was peaceful and we had no problems but it definitely had me thinking about the weakness in fabric sides.

This discussion has highlighted the importance of provisioning each vehicle with additional magazines and non-lethal self defense tools. I don't often carry an extra 13 round magazine on my person, but that's going to change tomorrow. I'm also going to consider keeping an extra handgun in the car/truck when I'm traveling with my wife. I usual leave the car running when I get out to pick up something in a store; at that point she's left in the passenger seat of a running vehicle with no means of self defense. Finally, I'll want to figure out how best to secure a long gun, SBR in my case, in our truck. These are troubling times and I'm thankful to have moved to Idaho from California, but if the election doesn't favor the left we have more trouble ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
    This discussion has highlighted the importance of provisioning each vehicle with additional magazines and non-lethal self defense tools. I don't often carry an extra 13 round magazine on my person, but that's going to change tomorrow. I'm also going to consider keeping an extra handgun in the car/truck when I'm traveling with my wife. I usual leave the car running when I get out to pick up something in a store; at that point she's left in the passenger seat of a running vehicle with no means of self defense. Finally, I'll want to figure out how best to secure a long gun, SBR in my case, in our truck. These are troubling times and I'm thankful to have moved to Idaho from California, but if the election doesn't favor the left we have more trouble ahead.
    Lots of thinking here too. We used to keep a nylon shoulder bag w/ loaded pistol, spare loaded mag and a box of 50 in each car. Then 6 yrs ago we moved and both started carrying so I got the bags out of the car figuring that gets rid of the chance of them being stolen. Now thinking maybe a small bag w/ shoulder strap and 5-6 loaded mags for our carry pistols should be in each car. And maybe we should both carry the same model gun so all mags would interchange. And all our Sabre pepper sprays are at least 5yrs old so new there too. We have had an AR hidden under the rear seat of the pickup and a camouflaged AR in the trunk of my wife's car. But neither would be a quick access from inside the vehicle. So been thinking about AR pistols or PCCs. Other ideas guys?

I'd give up on the car gun.

If you can't access/use it from behind the wheel it doesn't exist, unless you think your wife could get to it. If you do have someone riding shotgun in the back you might have something. Otherwise, if you bail in a hurry you'll probably leave it behind, so no benefit and the rioters might grab it.

Spare ammo is ok, but I'ld only count on getting out with what I'm carrying. If you bail it's likely an emergency, you'll end up with what you got on you so plan around that.

Spare ammo in the box might not get much use either, loaded magazines, speed loaders, etc. a better idea.

If you're running through a gauntlet, weight is a thing.

A bail out bag designed for a riot would be an idea. You might not grab it, but have something that be slung over a shoulder and run.

Water, maybe a little food, first aid to include some baby shampoo (to wash pepper spray out your eyes),hand held gps, breaching tool (in case your stuck at the end of a blind alley), gas mask/goggles if you got them, etc.

Might throw your spare mags in that.

Escape and Evade, the two of you can't stand up to an organized trained crew.

Just my thoughts.

User Tag List