Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 357 coated lead velocity

I use Alliant's load of 14.8gr 2400 and a hardcast 158gr SWC

also load a 158gr lead hollow point with a gas check

if I remember right I get around 1350-1375fps from my 5 inch M27

I hit about 1230fps from a SP101 snubby

but I really would reserve this load for an N-frame or GP100

Skeeter Skelton used a 2400 load along these lines and recommended a gas check, but I haven't found it necessary.

Leading has not been an Issue.

my M27 is a bit slow, your M28 might do a little better.

back off about 10% and work up of course.

sometimes a slight reduction from max is the better load anyways....

I'm not looking for high velocity, more or less just trying to use this 2400. I've tried downloading it to minimum recommended in the Hornady manual and I get a lot of unburnt powder. I think that was around 10.5 grns with 158's. No bueno. 2400 is a slow powder so I think I'm going to have to bump up the charge to at least 12.5 grns.

I think I'll be OK with coated cast bullets at around 1100-1200 fps. I'll watch for barrel leading.
    Last edited by Borderland; 08-18-2020 at 08:46 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I find them unpleasant to shoot in my model 19's. I'm looking for a heavier revolver. I've determined that I'm recoil sensitive and it affects my ability to shoot well. I'm a Boomer and lots of things change when you go over the hill.
    Full-lug barrels on centerfire revolvers and all-steel 5" 9mm 1911s start to look a whole lot better right around the time people just assume you qualify for a senior discount.

A 4" GP100 firing 158 gr bullets at give or take 1000 FPS is about as much .357 Magnum fun as I can stand these days.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    Full-lug barrels on centerfire revolvers and all-steel 5" 9mm 1911s start to look a whole lot better right around the time people just assume you qualify for a senior discount.

A 4" GP100 firing 158 gr bullets at give or take 1000 FPS is about as much .357 Magnum fun as I can stand these days.
    I hear that. Recoil becomes an issue when you qualify for Medicare. Probably why 9 mm became so popular. Boomers took it over.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I'm not looking for high velocity, more or less just trying to use this 2400. I've tried downloading it to minimum recommended in the Hornady manual and I get a lot of unburnt powder. I think that was around 10.5 grns with 158's. No bueno. 2400 is a slow powder so I think I'm going to have to bump up the charge to at least 12.5 grns.

I think I'll be OK with coated cast bullets at around 1100-1200 fps. I'll watch for barrel leading.
    Skeeter's medium load was 13.5gr 2400, should do about 1200 or so from a 4inch gun

I own several 357s and shoot the coated Hi Tek 158 gr over 12.5" of 2400 and in a 4" it travels along at 1170 fps. Very accurate, comfortable to shoot and no leading. A shooting buddy uses the same load in a 2.5" Model 19 and loves it. He shoots coyotes regularly with the load I've listed, at varying ranges out to 100 yds. It's the only load he uses, and it is my all around, have several boxes handy load.

Standard primers and a good crimp with very little unburnt powder.

Site Supporter
    Border,

Another use for the 2400 might be to explore the 38-44 from 1930, forerunner of the 357 Magnum introduced in 1935. S&W advertised the 38-44 as a 158g bullet at 1125 fps. I get that from my 4" Heavy Duty with 11.5g 2400 lit by a standard SP primer pushing Berry's plated 158g flat-points. In my 5" it was 1141 fps the last time I chronographed it. The 38-44 is loaded in 38 Special cases in keeping with the barrel markings on both HDs.

Fifty rounds of this, particularly rapid fire as in self-defense practice, is as much fun as my arthritic right hand can stand and that from the N-framed Heavy Duties. Still it is an interesting and historic cartridge and I get a kick out of loading and shooting them.

YMMV,
    Dave

For those that like hypersonic loudenboomer loads with 140+ grain bullets in .357 mag, VV N110 will rock your world. It’s my secret magic powder. A starting charge, I’ll repeat that, a STARTING charge pushes a 158 XTP out of my 2.5” 66 at 1236 and muzzle flash is surprisingly low. The same load clocks 1385 out of a 6” 686 so 1400 should be easy out of a 4” or longer barrel.

This doesn’t help Border use up his 2400 but is just FYI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    For those that like hypersonic loudenboomer loads with 140+ grain bullets in .357 mag, VV N110 will rock your world. It’s my secret magic powder. A starting charge, I’ll repeat that, a STARTING charge pushes a 158 XTP out of my 2.5” 66 at 1236 and muzzle flash is surprisingly low. The same load clocks 1385 out of a 6” 686 so 1400 should be easy out of a 4” or longer barrel.
    How’s the concussion? That’s what always gets me when shooting short barrel magnums.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    How’s the concussion? That’s what always gets me when shooting short barrel magnums.
    Loud but not at all what one would expect from the 110 or 125 grain screamers. I shot that load in the snubbie at an indoor defensive match. Ears were no worse for the wear but my hands hurt for two days.

User Tag List