Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 357 coated lead velocity

357 coated lead velocity

I may have posted this question awhile back but search didn't show anything.

I'm looking at a model S&W model 28. I don't want the expense of shooting jacketed bullets so researching how coated lead could be used. I know about loading 357 with jacketed bullets as I've done a fair amount of that for a rifle.

My question is does anyone load .357 coated lead bullets (158 gr) at normal velocity, say around 1400 fps? If so, what kind of accuracy/precision can be attained?

I've loaded some at 800 fps with fast powder but that really isn't the normal velocity for .357. That's more 38 spl. velocity.

The idea for a model 28 to handle the recoil appeals to me but just not sure about coated lead bullets. I have more coated lead, brass and powder (2400) than I'll ever use if I don't get something to shoot that will use those components. I know, that's a pretty stupid approach. Maybe I should just buy the damn jacketed bullets but with the supply right now that may be impossible.

I have several K frames but shooting normal 357 loads in those isn't much fun.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

357 coated lead velocity

I was concerned about velocity in .357 Sig so I shot an email off to ACME asking. They replied that they didn’t think a handgun caliber could shoot a bullet fast enough to defeat the Hi-Tech coating.

Beyond that it’ll just be getting an appropriate sized bullet for your barrel an cylinder throats. If that is out of whack any lead bullet is going to lead but if you have everything right you’ll have no issues. I want to cast up some 358156 gas checked SWCs and coat them for my Model 28 too. Ought be a kick ass bullet for it and the lever guns.

ETA: this is assuming of course you get Hi-Tech coated bullets from one of the many vendors selling them. Others are probably similar but I’ve had zero leading at 1300 out of two sig barrels with this coating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalki

I shoot Missouri Bullet's coated 158 grain swc out of a few 357's (S&W 65, S&W 28, GP100) and have never had any leading. I use a near-max dose of AA9 with small, non-magnum, pistol primers, but I'm only getting about 1150 fps.

I've had worse results with coated bullets in other guns, and when coated bullets cause leading, getting that crap out of the barrel is a lot of work, more than when regular cast bullets cause leading.
    Ordinary guy

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    My question is does anyone load .357 coated lead bullets (158 gr) at normal velocity, say around 1400 fps? If so, what kind of accuracy/precision can be attained?
    You're not going to get 1400 fps from current data unless it's from a rifle barrel. Factory 158-grain JHPs are usually advertised as 1235 fps from a four-inch barrel and very often don't crack 1200 fps from a revolver. Matching factory velocity and accuracy shouldn't be a problem. Using a medium-speed powder like Unique and aiming for ~1100 fps gives a big boost over .38 Special power and is pleasant to shoot even in K frames.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    I was concerned about velocity in .357 Sig so I shot an email off to ACME asking. They replied that they didn’t think a handgun caliber could shoot a bullet fast enough to defeat the Hi-Tech coating.

Beyond that it’ll just be getting an appropriate sized bullet for your barrel an cylinder throats. If that is out of whack any lead bullet is going to lead but if you have everything right you’ll have no issues. I want to cast up some 358156 gas checked SWCs and coat them for my Model 28 too. Ought be a kick ass bullet for it and the lever guns.

ETA: this is assuming of course you get Hi-Tech coated bullets from one of the many vendors selling them. Others are probably similar but I’ve had zero leading at 1300 out of two sig barrels with this coating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalki
    Great. I have a lot of Acme bullets. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    You're not going to get 1400 fps from current data unless it's from a rifle barrel. Factory 158-grain JHPs are usually advertised as 1235 fps from a four-inch barrel and very often don't crack 1200 fps from a revolver. Matching factory velocity and accuracy shouldn't be a problem. Using a medium-speed powder like Unique and aiming for ~1100 fps gives a big boost over .38 Special power and is pleasant to shoot even in K frames.
    I find them unpleasant to shoot in my model 19's. I'm looking for a heavier revolver. I've determined that I'm recoil sensitive and it affects my ability to shoot well. I'm a Boomer and lots of things change when you go over the hill.

I don't have any Unique, but I have 6 lbs of 2400.

Site Supporter
    @Borderland - Here is Alliant's 2400 data for .357 Mag. They list 14.8 grains as the max load for 158-grain JHPs. You could back that down to 14 grains even and get exactly 500 rounds from a pound of 2400. If you buy your bullets in boxes of 500 it makes everything nice and even.

If you want 1400 fps, you can get it with a 140 gr bullet in a 6" barrel, better 8 3/8".
    Code Name: JET STREAM

If buffalo bore can get 1400fps with a 180gr bullet I bet you could do it with a 158gr.

I bet most data that gives 1250fps from a jacketed bullet would hit 1350fps with a hardcast.
    Name:  Screenshot_2020-08-18-21-30-37.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  38.6 KB
    Last edited by 03RN; 08-18-2020 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I find them unpleasant to shoot in my model 19's. I'm looking for a heavier revolver. I've determined that I'm recoil sensitive and it affects my ability to shoot well. I'm a Boomer and lots of things change when you go over the hill.

I don't have any Unique, but I have 6 lbs of 2400.
    For what it is worth, I have both a GP100 and an S&W 28, and I shoot a lot of magnum ammo out of both. I have found the GP, with rubber grips, to be as easy on recoil as the 28. Maybe it’s because it has a lower bore axis, or maybe it’s because the 28 has an exposed back strap with most grips. Either one is a fine example of a serious 357.
    Ordinary guy

User Tag List