Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shooting doesn't change

Shooting doesn't change

One of the threads I've really been digging into as part of an ongoing project is the idea that shooting doesn't change regardless of your circumstances. By that I mean the mechanical act of aligning the sights and pulling the trigger is the same if you're on the range or someone is kicking down your door at 3am. The only thing that changes is your environment, which can influence the act of shooting.

It got complicated so I had to draw it on a whiteboard

Interesting. As a pretty inexperienced shooter, I hadn’t given this concept much thought. I’ll try and watch later and might ponder some thoughts to contribute after I’ve thought about it.

It's a good video and worth the 22 minutes. Some bad shooters may disagree.
    A71593

In teaching new shooters, I start out by the statement: "The act of shooting is just aligning the firearm's sights to the target then breaking the shot without disturbing that alignment".

As someone who has shot for many years, I still have to keep reminding MYSELF of that same basic fact. You'd think I'd learn by now...

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Ivantheterrible View Post
    In teaching new shooters, I start out by the statement: "The act of shooting is just aligning the firearm's sights to the target then breaking the shot without disturbing that alignment".
    To pick a nit - the act of shooting is just aligning the muzzle with the target and then pressing the trigger without disturbing that alignment.

We use the sights because they provide a handy visual reference for the alignment of the muzzle - they are just a muzzle reference device.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

@jetfire, I had to digest that vid in three short chunks around my work projects today, so it took me until now to get through it. That said, I like the presentation enough that I will digest it again tomorrow in similar fashion. Good work, CG.

When I had my ever-so-brief training company this was our basic premise, that at the base level shooting is shooting, and provided your interest in shooting towards some goal (competition, defense, whatever) and not just shooting for the lure act of shooting (plinking, dirt shooting, etc.) then having some basic instruction would be helpful. We called our classes 0.5 because they were meant to come before, and prepare the student for, a level 1 class taught by someone else.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    @jetfire, I had to digest that vid in three short chunks around my work projects today, so it took me until now to get through it. That said, I like the presentation enough that I will digest it again tomorrow in similar fashion. Good work, CG.
    Sweet, thanks. I hope someday to actually get to publish the project that this video is a part of, but as is often the case that's not entirely in my hands.

Advanced or high level shooting skills are nothing more than mastery of the fundamentals.

Tactics requires decision making and the application of specific actions appropriate for the particular circumstances which can be dynamic and complex.

Being a good shooter does not make one a good tactician.

User Tag List