Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 300blk - Subsonic in Rattler "outperforms" BCM 9in

Now to be clear, (‘cause I don’t want people to misunderstand that what I’m saying is testing is junk science and should be ignored), I too once worshipped at the altar of ballistic gel. It has its uses. Mostly good for killing time when you cannot otherwise be shooting, or between wars, whatever. But an inordinate amount of time gets spent wrapped up in concerning oneself in minutiae that you do not need to concern yourself when it comes to shooting for all the marbles. A miss is a miss. Bad guys don’t care what ballistic gel studies showed. They often times don’t give a fuck about marginal hits either. One thing that cannot be argued, is that bad guys respect well placed shots, because they don’t have a choice in the matter.

Even then, there is nothing in the Bible of Ballistics that says an asshole will stop being an asshole with one well placed shot. Pick a round that works in your gun, is reasonably accurate (Sub-MOA/minute of asshole is sufficient), and you can shoot enough of to become proficient. Graveyards have been built for the people killed with supposedly shit ball military ammo. I’m confident that if you brain someone with any high powered rifle, your troubles with that person will be over rather quickly.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Giving Back View Post
    Now to be clear, (‘cause I don’t want people to misunderstand that what I’m saying is testing is junk science and should be ignored), I too once worshipped at the altar of ballistic gel. It has its uses. Mostly good for killing time when you cannot otherwise be shooting, or between wars, whatever. But an inordinate amount of time gets spent wrapped up in concerning oneself in minutiae that you do not need to concern yourself when it comes to shooting for all the marbles. A miss is a miss. Bad guys don’t care what ballistic gel studies showed. They often times don’t give a fuck about marginal hits either. One thing that cannot be argued, is that bad guys respect well placed shots, because they don’t have a choice in the matter.

Even then, there is nothing in the Bible of Ballistics that says an asshole will stop being an asshole with one well placed shot. Pick a round that works in your gun, is reasonably accurate (Sub-MOA/minute of asshole is sufficient), and you can shoot enough of to become proficient. Graveyards have been built for the people killed with supposedly shit ball military ammo. I’m confident that if you brain someone with any high powered rifle, your troubles with that person will be over rather quickly.
    I never took any of your commentary as suggesting that testing is junk science and should be ignored. Quite the contrary.

Good hits matter. More good hits matter more.

Quote Originally Posted by Giving Back View Post
    Even then, there is nothing in the Bible of Ballistics that says an asshole will stop being an asshole with one well placed shot.
    Anyone who confuses ''terminal ballistic testing'' with ''tactics'' runs the risk of making the faulty assumption that terminal ballistic testing will predict the outcome of a gun fight. It won't.

In terminal ballistic testing we are concerned only with what the test medium does to the bullet (verifying that it'll expand correctly, especially after barriers), not with what the bullet does to the test medium.

Shoot—and hit—the threat until it is neutralized.

Of course, you already know that.
    Last edited by the Schwartz; 08-25-2020 at 02:35 PM.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

As we approach the final moments of our society, anyone who shows up to the Great Battle of Our Lifetime with a PCC or a 300BO loaded with subs deserves to get punched in the nuts.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Well there you have it.......
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    As we approach the final moments of our society, anyone who shows up to the Great Battle of Our Lifetime with a PCC or a 300BO loaded with subs deserves to get punched in the nuts.
    I liked your post, but as someone who turned a sub2000 into a kick-ass Zombie Apocalypse gun, which I am proud to be handing back to my dad so he has a longarm for the these troubled times, I must also call you a fascist. 😉

One of my friends has it in his head that. .300BLK is optimal 200 yard hyper accuracy clambering for an AR build. Valid?
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post

One of my friends has it in his head that. .300BLK is optimal 200 yard hyper accuracy clambering for an AR build. Valid?
    If he is really your friend kick him in the nuts.

If not tell him him he is 100% correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    I liked your post, but as someone who turned a sub2000 into a kick-ass Zombie Apocalypse gun, which I am proud to be handing back to my dad so he has a longarm for the these troubled times, I must also call you a fascist. 😉

I don’t know if I’d call it hyper-accurate. I’ve found the Barnes 110 grain black tip to be as accurate as any barrier blind factory 556 load out to 100 meters, and maybe a bit more up close (it creates a ragged hole under 1 inch when fired from the shoulder at 50 yards). Where the Barnes load shines is outstanding terminal performance (as judged by gel, boar, and deer) and reasonable external ballistics out to about 150 meter from a 9” barrel. You might be able to extend that out to 250ish meters with a 12” barrel but all of my 300blk rifles are 9” or less.

The problem with the 300blk is 1) legs beyond 300 meters or so in terms of external ballistics; choose 6.8SPC, 6.5CM, or even a heavy 556 for shots out to 300+ meters as the 300blk coming out the barrel at 2100 fps is dropping like a rock, 2) a bit of over penetration; expect about 20”.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    If he is really your friend kick him in the nuts.

If not tell him him he is 100% correct.
    I laughed out loud.

I don’t know if I’d call it hyper-accurate. I’ve found the Barnes 110 grain black tip to be as accurate as any barrier blind factory 556 load out to 100 meters, and maybe a bit more up close (it creates a ragged hole under 1 inch when fired from the shoulder at 50 yards). Where the Barnes load shines is outstanding terminal performance (as judged by gel, boar, and deer) and reasonable external ballistics out to about 150 meter from a 9” barrel. You might be able to extend that out to 250ish meters with a 12” barrel but all of my 300blk rifles are 9” or less.

The problem with the 300blk is 1) legs beyond 300 meters or so in terms of external ballistics; choose 6.8SPC, 6.5CM, or even a heavy 556 for shots out to 300+ meters as the 300blk coming out the barrel at 2100 fps is dropping like a rock, 2) a bit of over penetration; expect about 20”.
    I still see 300 BLK as a round that has a lot of energy out of a short barrel. 5.56 out of a 14.5 or 16" barrel has a flatter trajectory and half the wind drift, better accuracy in wind, higher velocity to insure fragmentation/expansion- not over penetration, costs less to manufacture/reload, and works awesome in the AR-15 that was designed for it.

In the middle we have 6.5G and 6ARC. While they may not have the energy of the BLK, they are more versatile for my type of uses.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I laughed out loud.

I still see 300 BLK as a round that has a lot of energy out of a short barrel. 5.56 out of a 14.5 or 16" barrel has a flatter trajectory and half the wind drift, better accuracy in wind, higher velocity to insure fragmentation/expansion- not over penetration, costs less to manufacture/reload, and works awesome in the AR-15 that was designed for it.

In the middle we have 6.5G and 6ARC. While they may not have the energy of the BLK, they are more versatile for my type of uses.
    Technically the 6.8 SPC, 6.5G, and 6ARC all have more energy than 300 BLK at the muzzle, and they carry that advantage down range.

300 BLK is much closer to 5.56 when measuring ft-lbs of energy. Makes sense considering it uses the same case. The SPC, G, and ARC all use larger cases.

This is for a standard 16" barrel. Once you go short the larger diameter projectiles have an advantage in losing less velocity, but I'd still wager the 6.8 and 6.5 put down impressive numbers from SBRs

Even with the Sig rattler the Barnes 110 should expand out to 250 yrds.

User Tag List