Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 300blk - Subsonic in Rattler "outperforms" BCM 9in

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I stopped reading at the tumbling part.
    Smart move!

I should have done the same myself.

We've talked before about how long, heavy, bullets at low velocity are more likely to yaw on impact. However, I've been led to believe and seen enough actual gel tests to conclude that yawing is not consistent unless high velocity bullets are specifically designed to do so.

I've read that the 220-grain Sierra Match King in .300BLK has been used 'operationally' (whatever that really means I do not know), but my understanding is, that it's use is primarily limited to things like sentry removal or other types of close-range covert work. Shot placement will emphasize immediate incapacitation (i.e., head shots). If you think about the roles that 147-grain subsonics from MP5-SDs were used for, that is now the realm of the .300BLK. I would figure the 220-grain SMK or the 190-grain Hornady Subsonic-X have superior terminal ballistics to a sub-sonic 9mm. However, for all intents and purposes sub-sonic .300BLK is just a big pistol round.

The advantage to a Rattler/other .300BO specific platform is the ease of suppression and the ability to swap to a far more effective loading when silence is no longer needed (i.e., the 110-grain Barnes loads) and gives you ~250-300y (maximum point blank) ability.

That Rattler is kind of a niche tool in many ways, but it is a much wider niche than pistols or SMGs. I'd rather carry a Rattler, MCX, adjustable gas-system equipped .300BO with a 10" barrel and a bunch of 110-grain bullets and a few mags of 190 or 220 subsonics than a rifle and SMG or rifle and suppressed pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    But could that correlation simply be that they have a niche use for it that is different than that of the rest of us civilians?
    First I’m in no way a tier 1 anything. But my understanding is the subs are used when quiet is key. Once it’s a fight and everyone knows you’re there, use the TTSX supers and your weapon is louder but more effective. I presume they want a sub round that’s got the best terminal ballistics a sub can offer for obvious reasons.

I have subs for my 300BLK but use them to show off how quiet the gun is to my friends and for steel matches. If I have to use subs to be extra quiet while shooting people CONUS, the world as we know it is no more. That’s the niche use they have in my opinion - they do things overseas that most of us will never know about. It’s one of those things that doesn’t really translate to most of us. Buy brand X rifle because it’s mil spec and passed the torture tests at SOCOM? Cool! It’s reasonable to say it will be a good choice for us stateside because it should easily hold up to our use. But if SOF personnel need subs to drop monsters... that does not mean any of us here need them. Use supers and drive on.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    I have no idea. I thought they went suppressed with pretty much everything in their inventory.

The only person I know here that has had operational experience with 300 BLK is @Giving Back, but that may have been before the Rattler and the Hornady rounds got into their armory and, while he never went into much detail, he seemed to imply (if memory serves and I could be wrong) that it was an even more specific niche.

I imagine that Hornady's 190gr sub rounds do pretty well for their intended purpose; I've just never been really clear as to what that purpose was (excepting being really really quiet).
    Give me a day or two to come back to this. I’m up to my ears in NPO stuff right now, and the mind is racing a bit much for a coherent answer this second. If I don’t post a lucid answer by end of the week, call me out by name to remind me that I said I’d address this.

Thanks for your patience.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    We've talked before about how long, heavy, bullets at low velocity are more likely to yaw on impact. However, I've been led to believe and seen enough actual gel tests to conclude that yawing is not consistent unless high velocity bullets are specifically designed to do so.

I've read that the 220-grain Sierra Match King in .300BLK has been used 'operationally' (whatever that really means I do not know), but my understanding is, that it's use is primarily limited to things like sentry removal or other types of close-range covert work. Shot placement will emphasize immediate incapacitation (i.e., head shots). If you think about the roles that 147-grain subsonics from MP5-SDs were used for, that is now the realm of the .300BLK. I would figure the 220-grain SMK or the 190-grain Hornady Subsonic-X have superior terminal ballistics to a sub-sonic 9mm. However, for all intents and purposes sub-sonic .300BLK is just a big pistol round.

The advantage to a Rattler/other .300BO specific platform is the ease of suppression and the ability to swap to a far more effective loading when silence is no longer needed (i.e., the 110-grain Barnes loads) and gives you ~250-300y (maximum point blank) ability.

That Rattler is kind of a niche tool in many ways, but it is a much wider niche than pistols or SMGs. I'd rather carry a Rattler, MCX, adjustable gas-system equipped .300BO with a 10" barrel and a bunch of 110-grain bullets and a few mags of 190 or 220 subsonics than a rifle and SMG or rifle and suppressed pistol.
    .300 black out was designed as a subsonic replacement for/ improvement on suppressing SMGs. It about doubles the effective range suppressed. The ability to switch ammo to supers is a plus but the role the rattler fills is closer to SMG than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Giving Back View Post
    Give me a day or two to come back to this. I’m up to my ears in NPO stuff right now, and the mind is racing a bit much for a coherent answer this second. If I don’t post a lucid answer by end of the week, call me out by name to remind me that I said I’d address this.

Thanks for your patience.
    Take all the time you need.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Sorry, but watermelons?

Really?
    Don't knock watermelons.

Legend has it that General Curtis LeMay, after shooting watermelons at a picnic, was so impressed with the AR15 he approved it for the Air Force on the spot.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

I could give the watermelons a pass, but if he says “hydrostatic shock” one more time I’m out.

Have the NRA Attack Ninjas silenced MAC, yet? I watch his videos. I'm not sure whether I should be drunk or not when watching them, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Don't knock watermelons.

Legend has it that General Curtis LeMay, after shooting watermelons at a picnic, was so impressed with the AR15 he approved it for the Air Force on the spot.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Even if they aren't the best choice for a test analog, watermelons sure make for one helluva a visual display, don't they?

Given that not many folks pack 10% ordnance gelatin to picnics, I can see why the watermelons were chosen to 'stand in'.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

User Tag List