Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 300blk - Subsonic in Rattler "outperforms" BCM 9in

300blk - Subsonic in Rattler "outperforms" BCM 9in

I don't know anything about ballistics so forgive me in advance. This just came out today. MAC suggests that subsonic will tumble out of the Rattler creating better terminal ballistics vs. zipping right through from the 9inch. No idea how watermelons stack up to ballistic gel or human tissue, but I was thinking about a Rattler or a 9inch AR pistol lately and I thought it might be interesting to discuss the ballistics of it all (subsonic and supersonic).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTxhMFqzqV0

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I don't know anything about ballistics so forgive me in advance. This just came out today. MAC suggests that subsonic will tumble out of the Rattler creating better terminal ballistics vs. zipping right through from the 9inch. No idea how watermelons stack up to ballistic gel or human tissue, but I was thinking about a Rattler or a 9inch AR pistol lately and I thought it might be interesting to discuss the ballistics of it all (subsonic and supersonic).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTxhMFqzqV0
    I’ve only seen properly tested gel shots with the 110gr TTSX. But if SOCOM is fielding Rattlers... and they are buying the Winchester 190gr Sub-X... I think we can draw a correlation from that. I no longer have contacts in that arena to confirm anything though so that information is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Sorry, but watermelons?

Really?

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Sorry, but watermelons?

Really?
    But bound to be certified genuine ordnance ballistic watermelon

A non expanding 220 gr subsonic round will perform similarly to a pistol round.

It's not unexpected that it punches right through a melon.

Sorry, but watermelons?

Really?
    I stopped reading at the tumbling part.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Sorry, but watermelons?

Really?
    Dude, human lungs are 83% water and watermelons are like 90% its a totally appropriate surrogate /sarcasm...

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I’ve only seen properly tested gel shots with the 110gr TTSX. But if SOCOM is fielding Rattlers... and they are buying the Winchester 190gr Sub-X... I think we can draw a correlation from that. I no longer have contacts in that arena to confirm anything though so that information is worth exactly what you paid for it.
    But could that correlation simply be that they have a niche use for it that is different than that of the rest of us civilians?
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    But could that correlation simply be that they have a niche use for it that is different than that of the rest of us civilians?
    Wouldn’t that niche use be quietly shooting unsuspecting combatants with a suppressed firearm.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Ndbbm View Post
    Wouldn’t that niche use be quietly shooting unsuspecting combatants with a suppressed firearm.

Jason
    I have no idea. I thought they went suppressed with pretty much everything in their inventory.

The only person I know here that has had operational experience with 300 BLK is @Giving Back, but that may have been before the Rattler and the Hornady rounds got into their armory and, while he never went into much detail, he seemed to imply (if memory serves and I could be wrong) that it was an even more specific niche.

I imagine that Hornady's 190gr sub rounds do pretty well for their intended purpose; I've just never been really clear as to what that purpose was (excepting being really really quiet).
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

User Tag List