Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Match attendance and ammo shortages

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    I've noticed that .32 ACP is in stock at places that are cleaned out of .380 and 9mm. Prices aren't terrible either.

I don't need another caliber. Really. .Those Beretta 81s and 82s sure look nice, though.....:-)
    I bought a few of the 81s that got imported from Italian navy surplus last year, thinking I was a fool for buying guns that I'd maybe shoot once, then stick in the back of the safe to gather dust.

Instead, I ended up buying a couple thousand rounds of FMJ and a dozen mags, and have been enjoying the absolute hell out of them. They're as easy to shoot as a .22, but have enough oomph to make me feel like I'm shooting a 'real' gun. I don't think I'd ever carry them as long as I have a supply of 9mm and my 92Cs, but I do wish Beretta would upgrade the 81 series like they have the 92 series. An 81X would be really slick.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    I've noticed that .32 ACP is in stock at places that are cleaned out of .380 and 9mm. Prices aren't terrible either.

I don't need another caliber. Really. .Those Beretta 81s and 82s sure look nice, though.....:-)
    Oh, don’t you go and get me looking at those again....

Where are you seeing them? Was it Gander Mountain?

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Oh, don’t you go and get me looking at those again....

Where are you seeing them? Was it Gander Mountain?
    Gander's sold out and has been for a few months now. Pretty much all of them are sold out from distributors now, your best bet will likely be to snag one from the 'broker.

FWIW, you're better off getting an 81BB or later revision, as the older non-suffix guns don't have the same level of parts support as the newer guns.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC

I noticed that the two monthly USPSA matches I regularly attend both cut down on their round counts this month. All the stages were in the 21-25 round range. Normally, one club is almost all 32-round stages.

Similar here. Round count at one place is down 10-20% and attendance is down. I'll check another Saturday if I can.

IDPA last week had a very small turnout of regulars, but a "shooting club" that makes the rounds of ranges and events trying different stuff out almost made up the numbers. Only a couple of people out of that bunch seemed inclined to return, though, their skill level was exceeded by their enthusiasm.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

For this weekend's IDPA match, as Match Director I've designed a 6-7 stage match (depending on attendance) with a minumum round count of 62 rounds (and that's for the 7 stage version). To allow for those who want a bigger bang for their buck, 5 of the 7 stages are unlimited, so if you feel a compelling need to blast away, and have the ammunition, you can have at it.

Two of the major stores in my area now are either out of handgun ammunition or are not selling any for out of premises use (they have an excellent range)-even .40 now.

I think we're going to be in this place for awhile, very possibly into 2021. For our sport to be viable, we need to constructively and creatively adjust, or a lot of new gunowners are simply never going to have any enticement to take their acquisitions out of their sock drawers.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    For this weekend's IDPA match, as Match Director I've designed a 6-7 stage match (depending on attendance) with a minumum round count of 62 rounds (and that's for the 7 stage version). To allow for those who want a bigger bang for their buck, 5 of the 7 stages are unlimited, so if you feel a compelling need to blast away, and have the ammunition, you can have at it.

Two of the major stores in my area now are either out of handgun ammunition or are not selling any for out of premises use (they have an excellent range)-even .40 now.

I think we're going to be in this place for awhile, very possibly into 2021. For our sport to be viable, we need to constructively and creatively adjust, or a lot of new gunowners are simply never going to have any enticement to take their acquisitions out of their sock drawers.

Best, Jon
    I've heard best-case estimates of 2 years to get back to 'normal', assuming Trump wins and we thus dodge a Biden-ban-scare additional run on ammo.

The combination of civil unrest and pandemic fears have spurred lots of new gun owners along with the regular boom/bust cycle from current owners, and the Covid restrictions on everything from raw materials extraction to transport to factory production have cut supply simultaneously. It's not good.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post

Best, Jon
    The match went well-42 shooters, 7 stages, 63 round minimum roundcount. 5 of the 7 stages were unlimited, so shooters who had the ammunition and felt the need could fire away to their heart's content. Interestingly, at least in the squad I embedded myself in, there seemed to be more concentration on accuracy as opposed to repetitive shots. I seemed to hear repetitively more "down zeros" than in normal higher roundcount matches. No one seemed displeased with the lower round count; the stages were what we're used to in terms of targets and complexity, with a average of about 8 shootable targets per stage.

I've long suspected that having fewer rounds mandated/on hand results in higher accuracy. We'll have to see how this plays out in the remainder of this year and likely in 2021, but it's certainly food for thought.

Tam would have been pleased-I shot my John Martz restored 1938 P.08 Mauser Luger, which is amazingly intrinsically accurate, despite a set of miniscule and ridiculously designed OEM service sights (the front is a serrated pyramid, which is ok in and of itself-until it's paired with the rear sight, which is a small V cut....),

Best, Jon

Site Supporter
    Local IDPA club sent out an email asking for input for alternate venues due to shortage of pistol ammo, etc. Suggestions of a shotgun match with birdshot or 22 pistol based events. Decision is to try a 22 rifle based match.

IDPA clubs in NC are encouraging shooters to shoot .22s in NFC Division.

User Tag List