Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Match attendance and ammo shortages

Site Supporter
    I have plenty of powder, brass and bullets. Small pistol primers are good for now but if supply stays like it is I could see a problem by next year. Thinking of setting up glock 21 as carry optics gun. No major scoring but I have plenty of large pistol primers.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Three has been a bit of conversation about this at one of the clubs I shoot with.

The two primary viewpoints seem to be split between some shooters advocating reduced round counts for stages or fewer stages and other shooters who say that if they are going to prepare for a match and drive 40 miles (in some cases more) to participate in a match, they want to shoot a full match.

I'm in favor of the position advocated by the second group.

Goes in waves. When things got opened in May, we had a large attendance. It has declined a bit through summer months. Strong shooters show up consistently although some folks say they've a lot of work backlog from the shutdown. I presume it is a good thing.
    There's a slight shift to shorter stages. Pace is controlled by notable use of harder shots. Use of IPSC targets covered in hostages and no shoots is routine. Last match had a plate rack at 80 feet. Irons shooters had a ball...
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Last match had a plate rack at 80 feet. Irons shooters had a ball...
    Well that certainly isn't a recipe for conservation of ammunition.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    Well that certainly isn't a recipe for conservation of ammunition.

That's why my gun refused to expend ammunition in the beginning of that stage. Stupid piece of metal, it is all its fault and none of mine. I always, always make sure that the top round is chambered...

https://youtu.be/_zYef_W2Wnk
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    Three has been a bit of conversation about this at one of the clubs I shoot with.

The two primary viewpoints seem to be split between some shooters advocating reduced round counts for stages or fewer stages and other shooters who say that if they are going to prepare for a match and drive 40 miles (in some cases more) to participate in a match, they want to shoot a full match.

I'm in favor of the position advocated by the second group.
    I would be PISSED if I drove to a match just to find that round counts had gone down to appease the vocal minority. Fuck that shit.

I would say “let them shoot 22” but then the whole match would grind to a halt as the same dimwits try to clear malfunctions on their buckmark and 10/22 and undo the flap on their buckmark holster...
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I would be PISSED if I drove to a match just to find that round counts had gone down to appease the vocal minority. Fuck that shit.

I would say “let them shoot 22” but then the whole match would grind to a halt as the same dimwits try to clear malfunctions on their buckmark and 10/22 and undo the flap on their buckmark holster...
    I wouldn’t want to show up for a USPSA match and find it’s been converted to a GSSF indoor 50-round static COF, but if my local match set up 7 stages of 18-22 rounds with smart movement and challenging shots as opposed to 8 stages of 32-round hosing, I wouldn’t be upset. I think round counts can be tweaked dowsed without neutering the match.

Now would be a great time to set up some of those special qualification matches, where you can shoot 6 classifiers and get ranked in a new division. Lower count, still a challenging and useful match for the competitor or technical Timmy (since even if you don’t have a rats ass about classifying, having a national comparison on a shooting test is interesting data).
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    Three has been a bit of conversation about this at one of the clubs I shoot with. The two primary viewpoints seem to be split between some shooters advocating reduced round counts for stages or fewer stages and other shooters who say that if they are going to prepare for a match and drive 40 miles (in some cases more) to participate in a match, they want to shoot a full match. I'm in favor of the position advocated by the second group.
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I would be PISSED if I drove to a match just to find that round counts had gone down to appease the vocal minority. Fuck that shit. I would say “let them shoot 22” but then the whole match would grind to a halt as the same dimwits try to clear malfunctions on their buckmark and 10/22 and undo the flap on their buckmark holster...
    Slight tangent... Reminds me of some training during the last shortage.

I wouldn’t want to show up for a USPSA match and find it’s been converted to a GSSF indoor 50-round static COF, but if my local match set up 7 stages of 18-22 rounds with smart movement and challenging shots as opposed to 8 stages of 32-round hosing, I wouldn’t be upset. I think round counts can be tweaked dowsed without neutering the match. Now would be a great time to set up some of those special qualification matches, where you can shoot 6 classifiers and get ranked in a new division. Lower count, still a challenging and useful match for the competitor or technical Timmy (since even if you don’t have a rats ass about classifying, having a national comparison on a shooting test is interesting data).
    Would seem to be very club dependent, yes?
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

I wouldn’t want to show up for a USPSA match and find it’s been converted to a GSSF indoor 50-round static COF, but if my local match set up 7 stages of 18-22 rounds with smart movement and challenging shots as opposed to 8 stages of 32-round hosing, I wouldn’t be upset. I think round counts can be tweaked dowsed without neutering the match.

Now would be a great time to set up some of those special qualification matches, where you can shoot 6 classifiers and get ranked in a new division. Lower count, still a challenging and useful match for the competitor or technical Timmy (since even if you don’t have a rats ass about classifying, having a national comparison on a shooting test is interesting data).
    Doing it "smart", sure. and the whole "lower round count but challenging vs hoser" has been an issue for the 15+ years I've been shooting matches, so that's nothing new.

What would piss me off would be to show up and have a hoser stage neutered, or a low round count, no problem solving, no movement stage because a few vocal ninnies bitched that they didn't buy enough ammo or can't afford to buy it now.

I have found over the years that most match directors are incapable of understanding that just because three whiners are crying about something that does not equate to what *everyone* wants.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    Attendance at local matches is definitely down a bit. Most of the missing are the casual shooters.

Thee are even open spots for the MN section match in 2 weeks. There was a small wait list, but it is cleared.
    I withdrew from my spot in the MN section match (I was actually squadded on "staff day" even though I'm not staff), so I guess I sort of helped with that. I've got plenty of ammo, and I wish I was shooting matches, but at the one match I went to this summer, the vast majority of people were not maintaining appropriate social distance, and I came to the conclusion that I didn't want to deal with a full day of that while still trying to perform well and have fun, so I asked to withdraw from the section match. Thankfully, I got a full refund (did not expect that, but I guess the fact that there was a waiting list probably helped). REALLY hoping for a vaccine to be available soon.

User Tag List