Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Match attendance and ammo shortages

It hadn't occurred to me that ammo shortages would affect matches...but it seems likely to be true.

I re-start my fall matches in Tampa with a 4-stage on Friday 8/28, so it will be interesting to see. Interest is usually strong, as my local club (WAC) is one of the few options I have without driving 1 hour+, so I expect it to be full.

Still no effect in eastern NC, I've got 85 signed up for our local IDPA match tomorrow.

I've shifted over to single stack and been running Major simply as I can still source 45 ACP from a buddies shop, but 9 is pretty much no more, The several thou of 9 I have stored up is being held as I never got into reloading (PCS moves can make moving stuff like that a challenge....) and I'm being told by guys in the industry I trust that this shortage is gonna take a while to recover from, due to the confluence of events influencing it. I want to save the 9 for any classes that come up in the next year or so. Plus shooting single stack gives me a reason to use all those 1911's I've been stuffing in the safe recently.

If this lasts too much longer I might just get set up with a comp rig for revolver as I've got plenty of .38 and enough wheel guns as well...
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I re-start my fall matches in Tampa with a 4-stage on Friday 8/28, so it will be interesting to see. Interest is usually strong, as my local club (WAC) is one of the few options I have without driving 1 hour+, so I expect it to be full.
    I forgot to check back on this thread: We had 23 shooters at our match, there were 48 slots on the roster.

Out of the 85 pre-registered only 68 showed up for yesterday's match.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rcbusmc24 View Post
    I've shifted over to single stack and been running Major simply as I can still source 45 ACP from a buddies shop, but 9 is pretty much no more, The several thou of 9 I have stored up is being held as I never got into reloading (PCS moves can make moving stuff like that a challenge....) and I'm being told by guys in the industry I trust that this shortage is gonna take a while to recover from, due to the confluence of events influencing it. I want to save the 9 for any classes that come up in the next year or so. Plus shooting single stack gives me a reason to use all those 1911's I've been stuffing in the safe recently.

If this lasts too much longer I might just get set up with a comp rig for revolver as I've got plenty of .38 and enough wheel guns as well...
    I may also shift to 45 as I have plenty of large pistol primers. Another reason to not have small pistol primer 45!

As one thread participant has, one can always choose the "screw you, I had the means/foresight to accumulate a sufficient stock of match ammunition" approach, but I'll suggest it's an approach that's likely to be of limited success, particularly over time/scheduled matches.

First, because your matches will likely face a diminishing pool of participants.

Second, because that participant pool will be of experienced shooters, and preclusive of new/newer shooters.

Third, because some of us who are more experienced shooters have other resource comittments which direct that we have limited stocks of stored/accumulated ammunition, and may only have enough on hand for a limited amount of matches at a given time.

Here's reality, at least in my neck of the woods (Seattle metro) at the current time (mid-September): Range/match ball amunition in virtually all of the popular calibers (i.e., .38 Special, 9mm, .40, and ,45 ACP) is severely constrained and/or totally unavailable, both at the LGS source and on-line sites. In my opinion, for sports like IDPA and ASI (and GSSF, etc.) to continue and flourish with a reasonable amount of participants, a "best practices" approach will need to be to design good challenging scenarios with lower round counts-which, by the way, is most probably more significantly relevant to the real-world siituations one is likely to encounter.

I'm slated to be an IDPA Match Director for our October match, and I plan on likely having 6 stages with a total mimimum roundcount of 6-10 rounds per stage.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    As one thread participant has, one can always choose the "screw you, I had the means/foresight to accumulate a sufficient stock of match ammunition" approach, but I'll suggest it's an approach that's likely to be of limited success, particularly over time/scheduled matches.

First, because your matches will likely face a diminishing pool of participants.

Second, because that participant pool will be of experienced shooters, and preclusive of new/newer shooters.

Third, because some of us who are more experienced shooters have other resource comittments which direct that we have limited stocks of stored/accumulated ammunition, and may only have enough on hand for a limited amount of matches at a given time.

Here's reality, at least in my neck of the woods (Seattle metro) at the current time (mid-September): Range/match ball amunition in virtually all of the popular calibers (i.e., .38 Special, 9mm, .40, and ,45 ACP) is severely constrained and/or totally unavailable, both at the LGS source and on-line sites. In my opinion, for sports like IDPA and ASI (and GSSF, etc.) to continue and flourish with a reasonable amount of participants, a "best practices" approach will need to be to design good challenging scenarios with lower round counts-which, by the way, is most probably more significantly relevant to the real-world siituations one is likely to encounter.

I'm slated to be an IDPA Match Director for our October match, and I plan on likely having 6 stages with a total mimimum roundcount of 6-10 rounds per stage.

Best, Jon
    Our last IDPA match yesterday, still had six stages, but more movement and a bunch of targets that required 1 round per target instead of the usual two or so. We also had a lot of hard cover targets with head shots, etc. Still very interesting.

I shot a match a couple of weeks ago that still had the usual 6 Unlimited stages but the required rounds to complete each stage was 10. You could only have 5rds in your gun and 5rds in your mags/speed loaders. The stages had some tighter than usual shots and it was a fun match.

The match director said the reason they did it was because several shooters said they were having trouble sourcing ammo.

I will be shooting IDPA in Rev-E because I have more LP than SP (or even SP + SR) primers, and with moon clips, I get back all my brass six at a time.

I have been shooting USPSA in Single Stack, abandoned a batch of .45 Small in the grass a couple of weeks ago.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

User Tag List