Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Match attendance and ammo shortages

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Our last IDPA match yesterday, still had six stages, but more movement and a bunch of targets that required 1 round per target instead of the usual two or so. We also had a lot of hard cover targets with head shots, etc. Still very interesting.
    Now that you mentioned it, one round per target is a excellent way to reduce round count while not greatly diminishing the fun and *training aspect.

*I'm going by the premise that splits need less practice than transitions.

I'm surprised IDPA's collective head didn't explode though with the thought of the cardboard muggers only getting one round a piece.

No, that would be USPSA. I can't recall a USPSA field course with other than two scored hits per target.
    IDPA switches things around more.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    No, that would be USPSA. I can't recall a USPSA field course with other than two scored hits per target.
    I shoot a 3 shot-per-target UPSA field course maybe a couple times per year (shooting 25-30 matches a year). Had one last weekend in fact. 1-shot-per-target is a lot less. The last time I remember one for sure was at the 2017 Area 8 match.

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    I shoot a 3 shot-per-target UPSA field course maybe a couple times per year (shooting 25-30 matches a year). Had one last weekend in fact. 1-shot-per-target is a lot less. The last time I remember one for sure was at the 2017 Area 8 match.
    It's definitely uncommon, yeah, but I remember a 27-round 1 shot per target memory stage at the MN Section match a few years ago. That was a challenge. Thankfully some friends and I all walked it together and mapped out which targets needed to be shot from which views.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    I withdrew from my spot in the MN section match (I was actually squadded on "staff day" even though I'm not staff), so I guess I sort of helped with that. I've got plenty of ammo, and I wish I was shooting matches, but at the one match I went to this summer, the vast majority of people were not maintaining appropriate social distance, and I came to the conclusion that I didn't want to deal with a full day of that while still trying to perform well and have fun, so I asked to withdraw from the section match. Thankfully, I got a full refund (did not expect that, but I guess the fact that there was a waiting list probably helped). REALLY hoping for a vaccine to be available soon.
    Don't think I saw you this year but hopefully will next year. Your conclusion about the section match was indeed correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
    Don't think I saw you this year but hopefully will next year. Your conclusion about the section match was indeed correct.
    Yeah, it's been a while - I've only been to one match since February, and like I mentioned earlier in thread, it didn't fill me with happiness. Hopefully things will get back to something resembling sanity over the next few months. Really I just need there to be a vaccine so I don't have to feel like I'm putting my wife at risk any time I come into contact with other people.

The IDPA and USPSA numbers seem down in my area. And oddly enough the Indiana USPSA state championship match this weekend has several open slots which I can't remember when it wasn't plus capacity being shooters from surrounding states always added numbers.

Match attendance is definitely being affected in Eastern NC by the ammo shortage . I shoot 3 IDPA matches monthly and attendance is down 35-40%.

I've started shooting the local BUG match more and more. I can get four stages of 6-12 rounds each, shooting .32 ACP which I can get cheaper than 9-ball right now. And it's fun.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    I've started shooting the local BUG match more and more. I can get four stages of 6-12 rounds each, shooting .32 ACP which I can get cheaper than 9-ball right now. And it's fun.
    I've noticed that .32 ACP is in stock at places that are cleaned out of .380 and 9mm. Prices aren't terrible either.

I don't need another caliber. Really. .Those Beretta 81s and 82s sure look nice, though.....:-)

User Tag List