Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1970s Service Revolver Match Gun?

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Like Wayne said, it looks like a revolver set up for PPC. Late enough to have the replacement bull style barrel, early enough that it doesn't appear to have had the PPC custom sights that allowed having a precise zero at the different ranges with your wadcutter ammo.

Last edited by TCinVA; 08-17-2020 at 04:38 PM.
    3/15/2016

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    Isn't a proper trigger finger index pretty high speed for 1975?
    Name:  Old Days-11.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  30.6 KB

Definitely for 1935!

(From Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting by Ed McGivern)
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    Wow, a rotary telephone and a manual typewriter. She is really dating herself...
    Going by the photos, she wouldn't have to date herself. I would've gladly dated her.

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    Isn't a proper trigger finger index pretty high speed for 1975?
    I've seen photos of WWII GIs on patrol with their trigger fingers indexed properly. With the Garand I had, disengaging the safety was a PITA.

Site Supporter

Kudos!

Good on her. We had a similar case that my trial partner and I prosecuted. A key witness was a female RSPD detective, deprived of even a tape recorder, but kept meticulous notes. Sometimes justice is a best dish served cold: https://trib.com/news/local/crime-an...d9d1052a1.html

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Going by the photos, she wouldn't have to date herself. I would've gladly dated her.
    Reminds me way too much of the fun we had back in the days of the 70s in the police world!
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I've seen photos of WWII GIs on patrol with their trigger fingers indexed properly. With the Garand I had, disengaging the safety was a PITA.
    Lost a chance to get a six-pointer when I was a little careless in disengaging the safety and there was an audible click.

That was a weird rifle. With GI ammo, it was about as accurate as Michael J. Fox throwing rocks. With Winchester Silvertips, it was a tack-driver. I traded it away for a custom-built 486 computer.

(I later bought another one from the CMP. Lots of fun ensued in the office the morning when the FedEx dude delivered it.)
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

PPC shooting

I participated in some PPC matches circa 1985. I used an S&W 586 with the adjustable front sight and a trigger job performed by a good local ‘smith. I shot a lousy score my first match. A month later I received a trophy in the mail for highest rookie score. I was the only rookie shooter!

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    This thread came up in another where I posted Scott Reitz going over some of his former duty gear including a revolver that's a dead ringer for the one in the original photo:

...so that could very well be her duty revolver, tricked out with a heavy barrel similar to what Reitz discusses for LAPD. As heavily as agencies in that region borrowed from one another the idea could well have spread to or from LAPD.

Neat stuff.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    Wow, a rotary telephone and a manual typewriter. She is really dating herself...
    There was nothing like the smell of alcohol on freshly-mimeographed copies[emoji6]

I EOD’ed in 1998 with the INS. Huge monochrome CRT monitors on PCs… There was still a typewriter in every desk. Carbon paper forms were still typed (I-213 love). Fingerprint cards were typed and then ink rolled, and we dropped them in a box.

Every Monday, an assistant would gather the fingerprints from the prior week, and mail them to the FBI. About two weeks later we would get a phone call that someone was wanted…. “Uhhhh we deported them about 48 hours after we arrested them”. Keep in mind, this was only 20 years ago. And we did not have an automated fingerprint scanner yet.

Resendez-Ramirez https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%81..._Res%C3%A9ndiz and 9/11 finally got us a budget to get an instant fingerprint check.

It does not seem like that long ago, but technology wise, it was eons ago. In the academy, we had no cell phones, we stood in line to use pay phones, and call collect or use a gov issues calling card. Fax machines and dot matrix printers with tractor feed paper still hummed in the office too.

And VHS held the cutting edge training of the day. Good times…

Name:  29B487CC-6753-47DF-97BD-75C191CC7E36.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  76.3 KB
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

User Tag List