Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: one powder to do it all?

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    What's risky about it?
    Sorry I did not elaborate, I was in a hurry. VV N310 is a very fast powder which means it's pressure spikes very quickly. This can be dangerous in a small case like 9mm. Competitors looking for an edge use with a heavy bullet for powder puff recoil. I used it in a .38 super and suffered one blown case head. I no longer reload for the lowest recoil possible, instead I reload for reliability and accuracy. VV N320 is safe for use in 9mm and is the fastest powder I use for that caliber. I'm using N340 in .38 super now and I really like it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Hows herco for an all around powder?
    This site will give much information about various powders and will provide data from many sources. Herco is a useful powder in revolver cartridges.

http://castpics.net

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    This site will give much information about various powders and will provide data from many sources. Herco is a useful powder in revolver cartridges.

http://castpics.net
    The above is a combination of an older reference site with a newer one. One result is that it is not easily navigated. Things change, and I would not have recommended the newer version had I known it is not maintained as it once was. It has value but not as it once did.

BE-86. 3.7gr with 145 gr Bayou PC. 9mm, Easy on shooter and pistol. Have used it for several years now. Use 5.9 gr in 45 ACP with 230 gr plated RN

Site Supporter
    2nd BE-86 its becoming my goto powder. Meters well, load data for what I reload.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by chances R View Post
    BE-86. 3.7gr with 145 gr Bayou PC. 9mm, Easy on shooter and pistol. Have used it for several years now. Use 5.9 gr in 45 ACP with 230 gr plated RN
    FYI, I’ve settled on 5.9 grains under a 230-grain coated RNL and it runs just over 800 FPS in my 4” M&P45.

Cool 1968 Handloader magazine I believe said that>>>>>>>>>\/

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    +1 in my heyday it was all Unique and 2400. Later 231 for the DL-450 and .45ACP. But I dig the "old" powders and loads for nonsensical nostalgic reasons partly
    UNIQUE was first sold in 1900!!!

Dam...lol

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by tankpondman View Post
    UNIQUE was first sold in 1900!!!
    Some of the guys in this thread were just wee lads then!

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Toonces View Post
    Some of the guys in this thread were just wee lads then!
    I'm no young rooster myself!!

For what you're describing I really like Alliant Red Dot. Actually "like" isn't accurate...I love it.

Red Dot is an old shotgun powder that has good volume to it, yet somehow still meters pretty decent through a powder measure. It also has red flecks in it (hence its name) so it's hard to mix up with other powders and its volume makes it easy to see if you're double-charging. It is very fast burning (low recoil) and I find it to be very forgiving. It's also fairly cheap and readily available.

You aren't going to be making magnum loads out of it, but if you're looking to make bulk practice loads I don't think it can be beat. Light recoil due to its burn rate, it doesn't take a lot of it by weight (like Unique with similar loads) and its fairly inexpensive which makes it economical and the most recent iterations of it is fairly clean burning. Add that into the fact that it plays well with plain lead and powdercoated rounds (unlike some other hot burning powders) and I think it's one of the best out there. It can also be used in large rifles to create "The Load."

Load data isn't always super-easy to find, but is around in the normal places. Alliant is trying to steer people towards their newer (and more expensive) powders like Power Pistol and Sport Pistol. Lyman and older Speer and Alliant manuals list it for literally every pistol caliber you can imagine.

User Tag List