Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: one powder to do it all?

Take a look at Alliant's Power Pistol. I've used it a LOT in 9mm and .40 with great success. Haven't tried it in .45 but Lyman lists it for most all bullet weights. I like it in 9mm and .40 because I get good velocities, without pressure issues, and a double charge will overflow the case making it easier to spot.

Quote Originally Posted by ER_STL View Post
    I always recommend Winchester WSF.
    I have used a bunch of Longshot and it might be another slower one to consider. I used it because ended up with eight pounds a long time ago, but at the time I was loading a lot of 155g 40S&W and like the idea of a slower build on the pressure, and it seems pretty bulky also. Now I am starting to load more 147g 9mm and it seems ideal, and I also loaded a bunch of 115g loads. And a bunch of 230g 45ACP, though it might not be idea for that.

It is also rather obscure and not always in as much demand. I just went and looked and it is In Stock at Powder Valley in all three sizes at pretty much normal prices.
    https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/prod...gdon-longshot/

Site Supporter
    That stuff ought to be called Loudshot. I've gone through a few pounds of it. It's a pretty good powder for .357 Magnum. Except...one time I shot a nighttime IDPA match with my M681 and full-power loads. Flash wasn't too bad, but afterward another shooter said that it hurt his ears. I told him he should've been wearing ear protection. He told me he was wearing ear protection.

I didn't like it in 9x19. Even at the max listed load in Hornady's manual, cases were smoked.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivantheterrible View Post
    Take a look at Alliant's Power Pistol.
    Local gun shop stocks Power Pistol because the owner says "it works with everything". I am only loading .40 with it so far but works fine and has been easy to get.

Hows herco for an all around powder?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Hows herco for an all around powder?
    It's been a while since I've used it. It's slower-burning than Unique, and my recollection is that it was dirtier and metered worse. Looking at Alliant's website, it sounds like it went through an update similar to what they did with Unique. Alliant only lists four handgun calibers for it, though there's lots of data in reloading manuals. IMO, there are better all-around powders.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    It's been a while since I've used it. It's slower-burning than Unique, and my recollection is that it was dirtier and metered worse. Looking at Alliant's website, it sounds like it went through an update similar to what they did with Unique. Alliant only lists four handgun calibers for it, though there's lots of data in reloading manuals. IMO, there are better all-around powders.
    Thanks, maybe Ill try some for my .45 colt and acp and save my unique for my .38s and .357s.

Herco seems to be available and cheaper

In these dark times of component shortages, I've found AA #5 to be a great all around powder. It's not the best powder for any particular caliber, but very versatile. I've used it with good success in 9mm, 38 Special, 357 mag, 44 Special, lower end 44 mag (be careful with this caliber, I only did it after some dialog with an Accurate tech), 40 S&W, 45 acp, and I'm about to try it in 10mm.

As the cliche goes, it meters like water, allowing very consistent powder throws, and I've not had any difficulty finding it. In addition, as plated and fmj bullets are getting harder to find, AA #5 has worked great for me with coated bullets and cast bullets.
    Ordinary guy

Accurate #5, WSF, and Ramshot Silhouette are good powders for your application.

ETA: Unique and 231 are as well, and agree with others that posted
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OfficeCat View Post
    I'll join the chorus for Unique or its modernized cleaner burning equivalent BE86. It meets the criteria of being hard to double charge and has the versatility to be used in a wide variety of loads from light to heavy. W231 would be a distant second for me, although I've been using it exclusively of late for 9mm and 40 practice ammo due to having been given an 8 pound keg a while back. It's easier to overcharge, however, and doesn't have as wide an operating window as Unique/BE86. I've always found Unique to be very forgiving and easy to work with. Maybe not always the best choice for a given handgun caliber and bullet combination, but never a bad one.
    BE-86 is my go to pistol powder for the last few years. Easy to duplicate +P 158 grain .38 service loads with standard pressure .38 data and works well for 9, 40, and 45.

User Tag List